Project Untop, Having fun with a '72 Swinger

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
Well it's time yet again for me to have a little fun, my best friend and I bought a decent '72 swinger shell with the intent to restore her BUT it's summer time and an untop dart will be loads more fun.

The car started out as a brown '72 slant six swinger that got striped to make a race car and then abandoned.

We decided on a 318, 904, 318 t bars, bench seat, column shift, combo for simplicity so I took a slant K member and cut off the mount and made a new v8 mount. (why spend money when we don't have to)

The whole idea is to have fun with as little $ as possible so we are just reaching into the parts stash for this project. I think including buying the car we are at about the $250 mark so not too shabby. Tomorrow I think we are trading some parts for a set of hood scoops and then it will be some john deer tractor paint black and a little bondo to straiten her out, o yha and a sawsall to chop off the roof!

I will make some sub frame connectors and lower rad core support connector and tranny cross member stiffener so the car should drive better then it ever has in it's life.

Parts I need
Window gasket for the windshield, 2 door or 4 door it doesn't matter.

Anyway this one should be driving soon and getting the living snot beat out of it.

0630101632a.jpg

0630101636a.jpg

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

r4.jpg

Is it just going to be an "untop" or do future plans call for a full blown convertible conversion later on down the road? Curious minds want to know.

Is it just going to be an "untop" or do future plans call for a full blown convertible conversion later on down the road? Curious minds want to know.

x2

the plan is to cut the roof so that I can tack it back on for winter time, but no it won't be a full convertible.

this will be a sweet thread to watch over, maybe learn some new tricks to building my future car :)

I've always kind of daydreamed about making a carson-style lift-off top. Nothing beats a convertable!

Any progress on this??
Have you thought about just installing a doorhandle latch style system with some more modern handles so you just grab the two handles on the quarter to roof seam (one on each side) and lift off! 8)

I wish Damn that stupid life thing and responsibilities... lol thats a decent idea on the top lift off part.
Right now it's just quietly sitting there waiting for some time. I probably doesn't help that I have the engine in my '71 swinger right now either lol

lol, I hear ya. Best of luck with it. Sounds like it'll be really sweet when you get the time
I got the idea from the old Bronco/Toyota/Blazer that had the same kinda deal with the top.

I'm subscribing, waiting for more!

Here's a picture of my girlfriend's brother who cut the roof off a 4 door Polara, and drove it for his prom.

Attachments

• shawns polara.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 618
Hmmm, I like mods here and there, but why take another classic and ruin it? Sorry, had to get this off of my chest after seeing a "convertible suberbird."

well because it's just a '72 dart, how many more do you want? I have also been thinking about doing it with a '70 challenger I have since it needs a roof....
The guy I work with did it with a '70 barracuda and it's badass

please dont cut it off!!! i will give you what you paid for it 72 is my absolute favourite year and is one of my mopar dream cars that and a 70 challenger

YOU"LL BURN IN HELL!!!!

Man I have been waiting forever for the right moment to say that :toothy10:

lol. I hope I do!

if anyone wants me to not cut the roof off step up and put your money where your mouth is! :snakeman:

Otherwise stay tuned because I plan on having a lot of fun with this car :thebirdm: :bootysha:

Just do it Ross! If you do a nice job of it, it will definatly be a cool one! I agree with the clips, so you can have a hard top to clip on when it rains and whatnot, you just have to figure out how to seal it.

I couldn't find any pics of a 72, but you get the idea.

22971820001_large.jpg

70dartconv1.jpg

3452877766_b752783eba.jpg

3452877732_0b2f7fd1cd.jpg

71dart2.jpg

71dart.jpg

71dart3.jpg

-
Back