Proportioning Valve 71 Duster

-

Racinjason

Reaction score
someone has removed the stock front drum brakes and installed mopar disc brakes. Im curious if the proportioning valve is different and would have needed to be changed. The front brakes hang up and not sure why. I have already replaced calipers, hoses, master cylinder, and brake booster. Any suggestions please help Thanks in advance

This is what the proportioning valve looks like that your needing.

( No, i don't have any.)
These sold a long time ago.
For picture reference only.
Or, an aftermarket, adjustable unit.

Prop. Valves 007 (Small).JPG

Ok thanks for the reference I’ll take a look at mine for comparison. Do you think that could cause the breaks to hang up?

drum brakes have no proportioning valve.Early A bodies with disc brakes have a separate proportioning valve installed on the rear supply.Drum brake master cylinders had a residual pressure valve and may be causing your fronts discs to drag...just remove it.

drum brakes have no proportioning valve.Early A bodies with disc brakes have a separate proportioning valve installed on the rear supply.Drum brake master cylinders had a residual pressure valve and may be causing your fronts discs to drag...just remove it.
Ok I know there is a valve in place so maybe it could just be bad

THERE IS NO proportioning valve in drum brakes. Only the distribution/ warning light setup. Also, drum brake cars have residual valves in the master cylinder. I just poked nails through mine to disable them. If you read the shop manual, it shows how to remove them for rebuild. Use a screw and claw hammer

THERE IS NO proportioning valve in drum brakes. Only the distribution/ warning light setup. Also, drum brake cars have residual valves in the master cylinder. I just poked nails through mine to disable them. If you read the shop manual, it shows how to remove them for rebuild. Use a screw and claw hammer
I already replaced the master cylinder so this residual valve that is talked about is gone

I already replaced the master cylinder so this residual valve that is talked about is gone
Is it?
Literally, besides crud-filled o-ring grooves, or rusted pistons,or seized sliders. this is the only thing that can hang your front brakes up....... not including a miss-adjusted pushrod.
If you have 10" brakes or less on the back, and 7/8" wheel cylinders, and at least 275s back there; then as a streeter you will not need a P-valve; at least I don't.. And your braking distance will be nicely reduced; at least mine was.
Be sure to do your testing in an appropriate area.

Last edited:
-
Back