Pros and Con's of remvoving the body from the frame

-

440valiant

cuda
Reaction score
hey there, i was just considering removing the body from the frame. I was just wondering of who has done this if it was worth it. ................

Well, un-doing all the factory welds on a uni-body is more than a scarry though and I would never purchase a car from those whom said they did. I have have spoke with alot of people whom swear to it.

Not sure why you would unless you are building a tube chassis or somethin???

its a 69 barracuda, its just a thought, but i dont think i will do it as i will have to do more work for not much more results

A.....dude,you dont have a frame.:rock:
Your car is a unibody.

A.....dude,you dont have a frame.:rock:
Your car is a unibody.

yeah im confused to are you talking about the k frame otherwise the only frames are the frame rails and i have no idea why you would cut out all the spotwelds just to weld them right back on what exactly are you talking about. Justin

I think he is a little confused ... which is fine. I believe 440valiant is 15/16 years old and just bought his '69 Barracuda. Sorry, if it seems we are giving you a rash of sh*t. Besides body panels, the only big structural piece you can unbolt off the Barracuda is your frontend/k-member. Feel free to ask any other questions you have. I was excited to hear about you picking it up.

oh ok i get it now hope i didnt sound like i was giving you any $hit 440valiant i was just trying to figure out what you were talking about. Yeah our cars dont have any frames what so ever just the k member that hold the engine in place Just remember there are no stupid questions you gotta learn somehow. Good Luck Jusitn

Dont take it personnel lil buddy.....Just razzin ya.

A-body's consist of the k-member in the front along with the front end parts,and leaf springs,rear end,shocks,in the back.They all tie into the body without a frame.Hope this helps.

Does he maybe have a rusty section of frame that needs to be cut out and replaced?

i cant see the confusion, 100% restores are often called a 'frame off' restoration which isnt quite right since mopars are unibodies. gotta start somewhere, i guess chrysler was just ahead of the times compaired to those other guys:cheers:

Yeah, and some brand x cars have sub frames, only under the front half...oh well, lemme go install my 3/4 race cam, and I'll expound on the virtues of the overlap on my valve springs.

You will be amazed by the amount of stuff you can un bolt! Keep track of it all or do a section at a time....

o ok thanks,

my bad 8)

Im 34 and still ask tons of questions on this site. And in regards to your question Ive read in magazines guys doing "frame off" restorations on mopars and i thought hmmmmmmm, how could they do that if its a unitbody? Some of them i think did remove the "frame" and use an art morrison frame, but others made no mention of a new "frame".

Im not sure if its cooler having another teenage Mopar owner or how everyone stepped up and didnt make this young man feel stupid for his question. When I first read his post I though Oh no this poor guy is going be berated. Even before eveyone found out his age no one was real harse.

Im sure everyones heard it, my Dad told me when I was very young "the only stupid question is the one you didnt ask"

LincolnProcut-PlasmaCutter.jpg

Well - at least he doesn't have an alias username that he uses just for dumb questions like me ( hey, at least I'm honest - sort of ?)

i cant see the confusion, 100% restores are often called a 'frame off' restoration which isnt quite right since mopars are unibodies. gotta start somewhere, i guess chrysler was just ahead of the times compaired to those other guys:cheers:

Most Chryslers, Imperials thru '66 were full frame cars.

Chuck

-
Back