Prothane spring hanger bushings TIGHT!!!

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
I had a heck of a time getting my new Prothane leaf spring hanger bushings installed. Especially on the body bracket.

Anyone ever experience this? Did it cause any problems?

Obviously I am leaving everything loose until I get weight back on it to tighten it up, but I still wonder if these tight bushings won't settle all the way on their own.

CE

Had the same problem. Ended up chucking them up in a lathe and turning them down till they fit.

Had the same problem. Ended up chucking them up in a lathe and turning them down till they fit.

That was my next thought. I was able to get them in with that awful grease and a real big c clamp.

Did either of you have problems with them settling down to ride height before final torquing?

Mine were tight also but seem to be fine. You have to use the silicone grease like stated above.

I did mine on a lift and torqued them in the air. Once home I redid the rear ones on the ground...Settling maybe a little but I have SS springs and front lowering hangers...

I always use synthetic disc brake grease on all my suspension parts and any other parts that move, wiggle or rotate including the shock bushings, window regulator mechanisms and anything else.

It lasts almost indefinitely, won't attack rubber or other materials, is inexpensive and has superior lubrication and anti-washout to virtually anything available.

Also, if memory serves, there are two sizes for the bushings. I recall having an issue with different sized bushings when trying to use e-body bushings in my a-body springs.

Mine squeaked like heck till I took them apart and......Greased them! :burnout:MT

I have found that they make the rear shackle bushings in standard/stock length and slightly longer.

The longer ones have more to squish when putting them together. I had a spare set of regular ones and stuck with those as I didn't feel like wrestling with the extra interference of the longer ones to get the shackle back together.

I also put the bushings in first with gaska cinch on the outside, then grease the shaft for the shackle to help install the shackles on the bushings and them not "creep" out the other side while putting the shackle in the bushings...

I just use the rubber ones...never a problem.

-
Back