ProTouring Orange Krate Cuda

-

ProTouringCuda

Reaction score
OK - The Orange Krate Cuda build has officially begun as of today. Purchased the wheels and tires today, and they should be here by the end of the week. Wheels are American Racing Torq Thrust "M" in 18x10 for the rear with 295/35-18's mounted to them. Up front we have 17x9's with 245/40-17's. Got a real good deal on the Tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3) from the Tire Rack. Wheels are from Street or Track.

For those who haven't followed my other threads, this is a build of a '64 Barracuda that was originally my father-in-laws car, as he started working on it back a few years ago. As life changes have it, he moved out to Cali from Upstate, but decided not to take the Cuda with him.

So, I've decided (along with my wife) to build it into a ProTouring car, with inspiration from Eric Brockmeyer. His rendering changed my mind on the build (originally, I didn't want to take it on) but with my eye on the end product, we're gonna get started.

Here's a snapshot of the rendering:

I ordered a numbered print of this rendering, and it's now frames and in the garage (The Stable) where the build will take place.​

Unfortunately, the stable is not quite ready for the 'Cuda. Drywall is still going up, and the place is quite a mess. At somepoint this week, the Cuda will be sitting where the Explorer is.​

Picture024.jpg

Yeah, That's my '65 Mustang GT350 Tribute - here's a little better shot of the car and the rest of the Stable:​

Picture022.jpg

Here's the pile of parts that my brother-in-law brought over two weeks ago. Doors, fenders, bumpers, grill, deck lid, trim, dash, roll bar, rear frame rails, and a few odds and ends.​

Picture002.jpg

Now everyone knows why "krate" is in the build name. All of this could easily be put into a crate, or a basket 8) Here's a breakdown of what's in the pile:​

Picture003.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Sounds like you have a plan.
I'll be interested in how those door crimped edges are going to clean up, could be a problem.

I'll be watching this one.

Trivia time....It's a great name for a Mopar. Back in the '60's there was a S/S '62 (I think that's the correct year) Dodge Dart station wagon that campaigned under the name the Orange Crate. On of the model mfr's. made a kit out of it...believe it was Revell.

The locals are with you,brother!Who knows,Lord willing,in a couple of years the Orange Crate and the Red Headed StepChild will be sitting side by side!

Looking forward to seeing how this one goes. Looks like those doors are going to involve a lot of work but maybe they just look bad in the pics? Either way, I am enjoying some of the pro-touring style builds that you guys are startting. Don't let me down! haha

Yep - the doors are worse than I thought. I do have a lead on another pair (locally believe it or not). Just haven't heard back from him yet to determine if they're any better than what I have.

This should be an interesting thread,and please while your on this site could you refer your stable as an aquarium now,for holding your fish?(Barracuda)LOLThanks.

This should be an interesting thread,and please while your on this site could you refer your stable as an aquarium now,for holding your fish?(Barracuda)LOLThanks.

Yeah, that's probably fair, although I have to post one last pic. You can see the aquarium back there against the wall. You'll have to squint, and tilt your your head a little to the right... :toothy10:

TheStable.jpg

How 'bout I call it the Stablarium?

the 65 mustang is bad ***... good luck with the build up of the cuda

Thanks. The Mustang is my High School Sweetheart.

On the doors: My local buddy got back to me. He said he has three pairs, with the worst one being a bit better than what I currently have. Sounds like I found some better doors! Gonna take a ride out there Saturday to have a look-see.

Rear tires came in yesterday, fronts are due today, and the rims are due tomorrow! Once the rims gets here, we'll get some car **** up for those that crave that sort of thing ;)

Father-in-law arrives today from Cali. He's gonna spend a good portion of the day stiffening the car in preparation for transport.

Here's an updated Photochop of the 18" wheel with a 295/35-18 tire (26.1" tall). Possibly by the end of the week, we'll get a real pic of the car with the stance I'm looking for.

9627_177853347929_664932929_3839637_2734465_n.jpg

Thanks. The Mustang is my High School Sweetheart.

On the doors: My local buddy got back to me. He said he has three pairs, with the worst one being a bit better than what I currently have. Sounds like I found some better doors! Gonna take a ride out there Saturday to have a look-see.

Let me know if they work out for you, I have a few extra sets and one set has already been gutted so they would be fairly cheap to ship them in a bicycle box.

Ken

gonna be bad ***. keep the updates coming. from the drawing i thought you were gonna go with a larger dia. rim. glad you went with 17 and 18" rims. they will fit the car nicely.

Wow, great plans!
I'll be watching closely as well, I love projects like this one.

Nothing like getting that perfect set of wheels, too, thats what I'm on the lookout for right now.

Your a very smart man to get wifey in your corner right up front. A 64 protouring cuda would lend itself nicely to our area and roads. Good luck and I'll watch your progress.

i used to blow the doors of those 65 270hp mustangs with my stock (orange) 65 formula s in the late 60s (14.70s all day) pitcher to follow when i get it scaned

To be a true car lover, you have to respect all brands no matter what brand you are committed to. The first gen Mustangs were a good looking car but I truly believe if mother Mopar knew how to market a car back then, the Barracudas would have out sold them.

Here is my uncles 65 2+2 back around 1980 or 82

stripteaser.jpg

I look forward to watching the build, should be cool and look unique.

I like to call mine Blues Clues because it all blue and I don't have a clue what the previous owners were thinking when they tried repairing this thing.

Souds like you are going to have a great build there.
I also have a 65 Cuda, and am kinda doing the same thing, but no mini tub as I want to leave the folding rar seat working in the stock position. I have moved my springs in and will be running 275's 17's on the back. I have a 390hp 360 crate I will be using with the stock 4sp. And have up graded to wilwood discs all round.
Good luck and share lots of pics....

I also have a 65 Cuda, and am kinda doing the same thing, but no mini tub as I want to leave the folding rar seat working in the stock position.

I still have my back seat, it's in the stock location and still folds down. I did spend some time reworking the frame of the seat to get it to look and work properly.

Photo1422.jpg

Photo1419.jpg

Photo1372.jpg

P1000779.jpg

-
Back