proud daddy... :)

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
my 13 year old daughter (Rylee) just completed her recruit training for the naval Sea Cadets.. they boke camp two days early due to a cadet or two with covid but got the field stuff finished and she will only have two online course later in the month to graduate. they are a review and 100 question test.. not big deal for her. such a cool *** program.. once she graduates she can train in all sorts of things across the country.. last month they took her to the firing range.. she loved that ****.. qualified on a 22 hand gun and a 22 rifle.. 59 out of 100 with the hand gun and 100 out of 100 with the rifle.. not bad for the first time even holding a gun.. he first drill after joining she had to PT qualify... pumped out 25 pushups, plank for like 1:30 minutes and ran the mile in 7 min, 20 sec. not bad for not really training for any of that stuff. this kid amazes me every day.. so smart and athletic.

she missed the summer training where all the fun stuff is like boating, repelling, rock walls and all sorts of fun stuff... she didn't get enrolled until the end of sept. winter time they work with toast masters (public speaking). i was at work but got to see some video of her speech.. man did she command that stage, incredible. her speech was about when she was young she tried to use the shower rod as a trapezes and ended up with a black eye for school pictures the next day.. i hear she got a few laughs... just before Christmas her commander asked her to join a zoom call. the call was a meet the cadet call for prospective recruits. they wanted a newer recruit, a older recruit and someone that graduated. she actually had a zoom call for recruit training scheduled for that same day and time. she talked to her commander and told him about the conflict. he said she was specifically requested and to reach out to see if the training zoom call could be changed for her which they did. come to find out one of the toast master instructors was impressed whit how well she did with her speech and was the one that requested her.. like i said this kid amazes me just about every day with what she can accomplish

https://www.seacadets.org/

her division: William E. Taylor Division

check her out.. she is the little one with glasses... when they are marching she is the front row left side of the picture...

243158877_10223402539905957_3777757150541650509_n.jpg

270039062_10223402542706027_6108330241702291183_n.jpg

270124533_10223799379486209_5965089111070680572_n.jpg

270226773_10223405924030558_4930622306918525166_n.jpg

270289390_10223398574446823_1684586810370169582_n.jpg

Inked271077001_10223808977206146_6653932614055422464_n_LI 2.jpg

msarching.jpg

Last edited:
her dress blues are a bit huge for her.. they have limited numbers for the kids so they get what they get. she will grow into them..lol.. can't even see her hands.

front row all the way to the left looking at the picture is her.
dress blues.jpg

Congrats! I did the Air Forces version of this years ago in my youth , Civil Air Patrol. Led me to my Army Guard career. She’ll learn and have a lot of unique experiences she’ll carry with her forever. Even if she doesn’t go into the big Navy or other branches later on.

Congrats! I did the Air Forces version of this years ago in my youth , Civil Air Patrol. Led me to my Army Guard career. She’ll learn and have a lot of unique experiences she’ll carry with her forever. Even if she doesn’t go into the big Navy or other branches later on.

That's what I figured. It's all about leadership and getting through uncomfortable situations which builds coffedence. She loved recruit training so we will see where it goes.

Another cool thing is if finishes the cadets at 18 she can possibly go in the nave or coast guard at a E3 pay level to start. Any little bit jelps

my 13 year old daughter (Rylee) just completed her recruit training for the naval Sea Cadets.. they boke camp two days early due to a cadet or two with covid but got the field stuff finished and she will only have two online course later in the month to graduate. they are a review and 100 question test.. not big deal for her. such a cool *** program.. once she graduates she can train in all sorts of things across the country.. last month they took her to the firing range.. she loved that ****.. qualified on a 22 hand gun and a 22 rifle.. 59 out of 100 with the hand gun and 100 out of 100 with the rifle.. not bad for the first time even holding a gun.. he first drill after joining she had to PT qualify... pumped out 25 pushups, plank for like 1:30 minutes and ran the mile in 7 min, 20 sec. not bad for not really training for any of that stuff. this kid amazes me every day.. so smart and athletic.

she missed the summer training where all the fun stuff is like boating, repelling, rock walls and all sorts of fun stuff... she didn't get enrolled until the end of sept. winter time they work with toast masters (public speaking). i was at work but got to see some video of her speech.. man did she command that stage, incredible. her speech was about when she was young she tried to use the shower rod as a trapezes and ended up with a black eye for school pictures the next day.. i hear she got a few laughs... just before Christmas her commander asked her to join a zoom call. the call was a meet the cadet call for prospective recruits. they wanted a newer recruit, a older recruit and someone that graduated. she actually had a zoom call for recruit training scheduled for that same day and time. she talked to her commander and told him about the conflict. he said she was specifically requested and to reach out to see if the training zoom call could be changed for her which they did. come to find out one of the toast master instructors was impressed whit how well she did with her speech and was the one that requested her.. like i said this kid amazes me just about every day with what she can accomplish

https://www.seacadets.org/

her division: William E. Taylor Division

check her out.. she is the little one with glasses... when they are marching she is the front row left side of the picture...

View attachment 1715844885

View attachment 1715844886

View attachment 1715844887

View attachment 1715844888

View attachment 1715844889

View attachment 1715844890

View attachment 1715844891
You must have brought her up right. You got a right to be proud!

She sounds like an awesome young lady. I love hearing about a young person doing great things, it gives me hope for our country!! She will go very far in life, for sure!! Here's a SALUTE to her from an old Master Sergeant.

Last edited:
Another cool thing is if finishes the cadets at 18 she can possibly go in the nave or coast guard at a E3 pay level to start. Any little bit jelps

I would stick to that plan. If the recruiter doesn't get her E3 going in to boot camp just wait or go to a different recruiting station. I started dating my recruiter's partner after boot camp and learned a lot of things from her perspective. They have quotas and they can place people in higher paygrades if they qualify (ie. college, certain certificates, Sea Cadets). She will qualify but sometimes they will have a quota that says x number of E-1's and other times they are allowed more upgraded ranks.

My dumb *** went in as an E-1 and it is an automatic upgrade to ranks E-1 to E-3. It is 9 months to get E-2, 9 months to get to E-3, and 6 months as an E-3 to be able to test for E-4 (Petty Officer 3rd Class). That is 2 years just to be eligible to test for 3rd Class. If she is smart she will hold out for E-3. She'll just have to wait 6 months to take the E-4 test. Always listen with skepticism when a Navy recruiter is speaking, trust me!

I went 9-9-6 and made E-4 on my first test. Made E-5 on my second test. Was in 9 years. I could definitely been an E-6 in 9 if I had been able to skip those 18 months as an E-1 and E-2.

All that aside, I am elated for you and her. I travelled the world and made a decent living once I got to E-5.

What Navy rates would she be interested in? CT, Cryptologic Technician, is a good one if she is learning second or third languages. I believe it comes with extra pay. It can involve spy type stuff. Naval Intelligence. Cool "tip of the spear type" job.

I was just a stupid diesel mechanic that lucked into Naval Special Warfare.

Nice! You should be very proud, Joe. Seems like she's got a great head on her shoulders and awesome parents showing her the way. How's the other kiddo?

Congratulations, Rylee! That's fantastic!

Friends and family think we are too hard on her. She is strong willed and smart. If that brain isn't busy it
What Navy rates would she be interested in? CT, Cryptologic Technician, is a good one if she is learning second or third languages. I believe it comes with extra pay. It can involve spy type stuff. Naval Intelligence. Cool "tip of the spear type" job.

She still really doesn't know yet. She is smart enough and comprehends things fast enough that she should be able to do anything she wants to. Took her on a tour of the local vo-tech high school Incase she wants to go that route. Only shop that got a reaction from her was the welding shop. She wants to try that. We will see. She is only in 7th grade so we have time yet.

Nice! You should be very proud, Joe. Seems like she's got a great head on her shoulders and awesome parents showing her the way. How's the other kiddo?

He is good. Him and his girl are looking into buying a house. Bad time right now in my opinion but we will see what happens. They are doing a great job raising my grand daughter. She seems like a smart one (only 2 years old). Not sure they know what's coming with that one. Lol.

Doing the best we can. We let her try as much stuff as we can. Try to expose her to as much As possible too.

We sent her to a Montessori school for pre school and kingarten. They have an awesome way of teaching at those schools. Now we pay tuition for her to go to a neighboring towns school. It's such a small town it's almost like a private school. Think there are like 30 kids in the entire 7th grade.

We try to show her how being a woman wasn't always as easy as it is today. Showed her that in the grand scheme of this country it's not really all that long ago that she wasn't allowed to vote. I tell her she has a duty to all the women before her to do a as well as possible and work as hard as possible. While down in ga this summer we went to the mighty 8 museum which was incredible but they had an entire wing honoring the women. I made her read everything in that wing. It told an awesome story about the discrimination women had to work through and how strong they needed to be to overcome it. It's funny at school she is experiencing some of those same things from boys her age. Talking **** about the girls sports teams and all. Funny thing is I've seen a lot of the girls in that school playing sports with rylee coming up for years. That school has some damn good female athletes in it. Those boys better hope they never have to play the girl teams . Lol.

He grand parents and a few others think we are too hard on her. Maybe at times we are. But they always comment how well behaved she is when they are around her too. I think sometimes we forget she just turned 13. We never treated like a baby (within reason). Always take her everywhere with us, she is always around adult conversation and can hold a conversation with an adult. Hell we were at her second sea cadet drill and we look over and she is talking with the commanders wife. Me and Jamie are like oh ****. What is she saying. Lol. Later that day the commanders wife comes up to us to say how impressed with her she was. Said she held a great conversation and maintained eye contact which is out of the norm for a young person. Made us feel proud.

She is just a great kid. Has her moments that I want to strangle her but she really is a good kid.

Friends and family think we are too hard on her. She is strong willed and smart. If that brain isn't busy it

She still really doesn't know yet. She is smart enough and comprehends things fast enough that she should be able to do anything she wants to. Took her on a tour of the local vo-tech high school Incase she wants to go that route. Only shop that got a reaction from her was the welding shop. She wants to try that. We will see. She is only in 7th grade so we have time yet.

In High School she will be eligible to do a Tiger Cruise. I am sure you have heard of it. Would probably go down to Norfolk, VA being on the East Coast.
I know she's a youngin' still but just for your back pocket, Navy has two welding careers. Steel Worker (SW) in the Seabees and Hull Technician (HT), which is a shipboard rate.

A tiger cruise is an American naval voyage that allows civilians to accompany a sea-going Navy vessel. The voyage allows friends and family of deployed sailors and Marines to spend time aboard a sea-going vessel to learn about the ship's day-to-day operations

Oh cool. She would probably love that.

-
Back