PRW Aluminum Shaft Mount Rocker Arm System

-
I've had good luck with their stainless 1.6 rockers on my 340. They were recommended to me by a very well known engine builder/machinist.

I'd go back onto Hughes about premature wear. Is he running very high spring rates?

Oiling issues due to wrong installed shafts?

Heard only good things up til now about the hughes rockers....

Michael

I've got a set of Hughes rockers on race car.
They are 8 years old.
No wear issues at all.

This car gets a lot of passes on it.

Something don't seem right.

Yes, need more info to understand why. Rocker shaft types, oil system (high volume pump or not), lift, spring pressures, and so forth.

Here is what I have. Built by Hughes Engines, has their modified drilled out oil galleys.
Eagle rods, pistons and rings from Diamond Racing compression is 10.7:1,, Edlebrock RPM heads. Has a Hughes hydraulic cam # HE4650 with their lifters. Cam specs. .606 intake and .614 exhaust , Hughes double valve springs with 1.6 ratio rockers.

I'm planning on calling Hughes on Friday for more information and help.

what is worn out? pics? only 5000 miles is sad. my harland sharps been going part time since 1975

The .6 lift can be the killer here; that oil should normally be adequate but the combined pushrod and spring pressures approaching 400 lbs each acting on the rocker may just be exceeding the shear strength of the oil. Any small side-to-side misalignment would exacerbate this, and the shafts not fitting well and being on the smallish side would do the same. That's why all the so far unanswered questions on those items were asked.

Roller rockers like PRW can suffer the same thing with such high lift and pressure. The shaft hardness and good, close fit of the rockers on the shaft appear to be critical for rollers from what I have been researching; a close fit makes the load spread across the needles. I am looking at PRW's right now but will be examining the shafts for hardness and all bearing and shaft alignments very carefully out of the box and am going with less than .5 lift.

Here is what I have. Built by Hughes Engines, has their modified drilled out oil galleys.
Eagle rods, pistons and rings from Diamond Racing compression is 10.7:1,, Edlebrock RPM heads. Has a Hughes hydraulic cam # HE4650 with their lifters. Cam specs. .606 intake and .614 exhaust , Hughes double valve springs with 1.6 ratio rockers.

I'm planning on calling Hughes on Friday for more information and help.

So the whole motor was built by Hughes?

If so, did they build just the long block or carb plate to oil pan?

-
Back