PSA to our young/just starting out auto technicians

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
I've been wanting to put this thread up for a while now, just haven't been able to find the wording that doesn't make me sound like a know-it-all or old fuddy duddy, but figured that it might help those who are just starting out in the field.

It pertains to work related chronic injuries from a man who's spun a wrench pretty much all of his adult life and didn't take the necessary precautions, who's now paying for it.

I'll qualify this with:

1.) I've been professional paid to do everything to a car except drive them and sell them. I've owned my own shop twice, the first a restoration shop, the second a general repair shop. I started off detailing cars at a local Chevy garage and less than ten years later I was pulling frames at a Ford garage. From there I switched to the mechanical side, starting off with simple maintanence and repairs at Midas to wind up back at Ford as one of the go-to guys for the most complicated repairs.

2.) Before anyone thinks this is a "later years" thing, I'm 45 years old.

Over the years I abused my body to the point that the chronic injuries may lead to disability, but hopefully not.

I spent years on my knees, inside doors and crawling around inside cars without knee pads. I now have a bad right now that won't weight bear and is affecting my right hip.

I have repetitive motion in my left elbow (favored hand) that needs Tommy John surgery. That came from years of vibratory air tools usage without impact gloves and not switching back and forth from hand to hand. The vibratory air tools and constantly have my hands covered in solvents and chemicals means I can't feel hot or cold with my fingers anymore. Water has to be hot enough to scald me before I know it's too hot for the rest of my body.

Now, both shoulders are showing signs of tendonopathy, to where it hurts some days to the point that I want to scream in pain as the tendons knot.

My point being, doing stretching exercises and wearing the proper PPE, such as knee pads and impact gloves would make my life a lot more bearable now, but like a lot of idiots, in my youth, I thought those things weren't "macho" enough. PPE was for panzies who couldn't take the pain. Now, I know what the pain is like.

I'm not posting this to ***** or whine. It's my own fault that's lead to this, no one else's. I'm just hoping to pass on a bit of wisdom, learned the hard way, to help others not have to deal with these things as they get older.

Ive been in the trades my whole life, pretty much a mirror image of your post except Im 59.
Protect your knees, and protect your EYES.

Do not forget ear plugs.. iam 38 and I need hearing aids and constant ringing in my ears to the point I can't sleep...

Best dam thing you can buy when young is disability insurance, man without that I would have lost every thing., mine was $20 a month pre tax and paid out $3000 a month for three years!

With me it's my knees. I use an elliptical four times a week to help control the pain. With Aleve and exercise I am able to stay in the hobby but some days---------------------

I can put a good day in at work or in the garage, its when I stop that it kills me. And sleeping is painful

Well, here's the flip side. I'm 54, been doing this since I was 16.
******* with cars is an iron man thing. You want to master the machine, you gotta be a better machine.
You will break **** ( name it, and I have either broken it working on a car or crashing motorcycles). You will get burned and gouged.
Learn to laugh it off and keep moving forward.
Three weeks ago I was cutting some rockers for a customer.
Cutting wheel exploded and the grinder wrenced out of my hand. It dug in just above my wrist, ran up my forearm, cut a deep gouge into my bicep, jumped up at my face where it cut a chunk out of my lip and split one of my nostrils...lost probably a pint and a half of blood.
That was at 2pm. By 6, I was bandaged up and back on the job.
Yknow what? If you can't work like that, go get yourself a desk job.
This **** is not for the weak

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your increasing pain Robert. I pray it gets a little easier for you. Tony, you're lucky and resilient. That could have been career ending.

Tony, you're talking to a guy who is suffering the repercussion of "iron manning" it for his entire career.

The idea of actually thinking of taking care of my body while I was doing it was secondary to doing the job.

Cuts, bruises, burns? Got the scars to prove it. Bleeding? Hardly ever noticed until someone pointed it out to me or I saw blood on a customer's car, then it was wrap it in masking tape so I wasn't trailing blood everywhere. Squeezing puss out of the wound for a week or more.

Setting a shirt on fire while torching or welding? Beat the fire out with one hand continue torching with the other. Got a job to do.

Carrying around full transmissions or engines without a belt on? Got a job to do.

Doctors are for pussies. Stretching exercises? Yeah right. Steel toes? Not until after I dropped a couple of front rotors for an F250 4x on my toes.

Glasses? Yeah, right. Keep your face out of the sparks.

Ear plugs don't let me hear the radio.

The fact of it is, the iron manning has flat out beat the **** out of me.

Now, I have sons, two years old and two months old. Not gonna do them much good of it takes me an hour to warm up just to toss a ball back and forth for a few minutes and then have that arm be useless the next day.

I can't chase the two year ole through the house for more than a few minutes before my knee buckles and I wind up force first on the carpet.

All because I "iron manned" for the job.

Not worth it.

Robert you have to take care of yourself because no one is going to do it for you.
Being only 45 it might be really tough to get a disability so you have to make your body last.
I don't know if you take pain meds but I have a pain care doctor and he has helped me a lot. No shame in asking for help.

Ya, being in the auto, truck, repair job for 30 years takes a big toll on the body.
I got into mechanics in 1980 when i discharged out of the Air Force, after 7 years in the jet aircraft mechanics field.
I got out of auto repair at age 58 when the economy took a dump, and the boss man said by by, your laid off.
After all those years, i too have tinnitus, (ringing in the ears) after being around loud noises all the time in my jobs.
And a bad back, after bending down, crawling around, reaching around abnormal things, lifting, sure takes a big toll on the body.
And after being around vapors, fumes, chemicals, for decades, i now wonder if it is a factor with the bone marrow, mutation, cancer, disease, (whaterver we want to call it) that i now am living with, that's not curable, but controllable with a chemotherapy type of medication.
Mechanics, find another way to earn a living.
My two cents on the subject, anyway.

i'm 61 been turning wrenches n painting from 14 on . when i was in high school , i built and paint everything i could . did some design work , easy on the body . but returned to turning n squirting . retirement is on me , but a bud went the county route being a wrench , worked on buses and equipment n stuff . he just retired a @ a year ago . he get a check every month for better then 6k with bennies , yes six grand a month with bennies . i can't say that . it a good thing we've got rentals . thats another subject all together , lol . people can be , well you get the picture .

Well, here's the flip side. I'm 54, been doing this since I was 16.
******* with cars is an iron man thing. You want to master the machine, you gotta be a better machine.
You will break **** ( name it, and I have either broken it working on a car or crashing motorcycles). You will get burned and gouged.
Learn to laugh it off and keep moving forward.
Three weeks ago I was cutting some rockers for a customer.
Cutting wheel exploded and the grinder wrenced out of my hand. It dug in just above my wrist, ran up my forearm, cut a deep gouge into my bicep, jumped up at my face where it cut a chunk out of my lip and split one of my nostrils...lost probably a pint and a half of blood.
That was at 2pm. By 6, I was bandaged up and back on the job.
Yknow what? If you can't work like that, go get yourself a desk job.
This **** is not for the weak
How long did it take your to get your 100% certified cuck license?

At 61 with severe tinnitus, and a chronic bad lower back. I would say take care of your eyes,hearing, back and live life thinking" I just might live long enough for this to become a problem" See I never thought I'd live this long!

Don't forget the $40,000 plus in tools that are needed.there aren't many other trades, besides automotive, do you need so much investment to make a living, unless you own your own company. My brother the electrician needs about $100 in tools and makes twice as much , with a pension!

Expect the unexpected.

How often does a person think "I'm heating up this rusted bolt on a spindle/control arm, I should put on hearing protection"? I never would have thought I needed it for that job. I was helping out a family member who needed a ball joint replaced in his subaru that he was fixing up (the ones with the pinch bolt going through the spindle).

The ball joint was shot (rust would fall out of it every time you turned the wheel), no boot left, no grease, and the bolt was rusted solid. So I started warming it up so it wouldn't break off. BOOOM the ball joint exploded (apparently there was a little grease left in it, and it somehow formed a high pressure pocket when I started heating the bolt). My roommate had just got back from the sandbox, he came running and tugged me away from the car, thinking a grenade had went off. Might as well have been one, because the ball joint completely removed itself from the control arm and spindle and I was picking shrapnel out of my jacket. Hearing in my right ear is pretty much gone now.

Every job, career, trade, etc has its dangers and long term consequences. I'm a firefighter, aside from the obivous danger from fire we have an astronomically higher risk of all cancer types from being exposed to everything from diesel exhaust in our stations to smoke and everything else we get into. People that work desk jobs get back problems and carpal tunnell, other careers have high stress levels that lead to all sorts of health issues. Main thing is to always use any safety equip relevant to ur job, eat right and exercise and lower ut stress. Aging always factors in later on and makes it worse.

I heard all that "protect yourself" stuff all my life and like Roy said, "Git er done" was what was important at the time.
Chainsaws, high powered firearms, Open exhausts, dirtbikes, hammering cutting and fabbing stuff we needed, and it's a wonder I'm not deaf by now.

Whenever someone got hurt doing something the usual phrase was "Circle it with a sharpie so you can find it when we are done"

Treated my body like I had a spare in the trunk. Opened the trunk the other day and...nothing. Damn.

cuck #wuss #wimp #vegan
by Bubba Beelzebub January 02, 2017
"Cuck" a weak, feckless, spineless, and decidedly pathetic specimen of manliness. It is a dirative of the term "Cuckold", which in turn comes from the now extinct Cuckoo Bird (known for laying its eggs in another bird's nest; kind of like how a cuckolded man lets another man s***w his woman).

Word Origin: In mid 2016 the term came to prominence when supporters of Donald Trump came to refer to Republican presidential contender Jeb Bush as a "Cuckservative" (cuck+conservative), implying that he was a weak, ********-lacking, creampuff of man, and a poor representative of what Trump-supporters considered proper GOP presidential timber. Jeb responded by effectively proving them right. The term Cuck has since taken a life if its own as an insult towards anyone who comes across as femmy, weak, or lacking in enough testosterone to get their balls to drop.

-
Back