Puking Gas !!!

-

My*65*Dart

Reaction score
Every time I fill the tank on my '65 Dart (no matter how slow I pump) it pukes out the filler hole and all over my rear quarter before it clicks off!!!! No big deal right now but when I get my fresh paint on her I don't want to do this. Gets me pissed off every time I fill up. Any Ideas????

I think it was Laysons Restorations that produced a modified filler tube for the early A.

Invert the nozzle on fill up, it should stop before it gets high enough to back out. Or use a non vented cap with a seal on it and vent the tank under the car. I seen many with the "stripe" coming off the cap...mine included when I bought it. My 57 Ford did that too, but it was low, behind the license plate, now THAT was a dumb design....

Estimate how much gas you need and then don't fill up. For instance, if you have a 12 gallon tank and it's near empty, only put 9-10 gallons in it. I don't ever fill them all the way up because the tube is poorly designed. On a many right hand corners, the gas will slosh toward the driver side and come out the tube, especially if the gas cap has an old seal.

I usually listen very carefully when I know it should be close. You can usually hear it coming up the tube, when you hear the tone change, stop pumping.

It's kinda like filling a glass of water from the faucet, as it gets fuller the tone changes.

Invert the nozzle on fill up, it should stop before it gets high enough to back out. Or use a non vented cap with a seal on it and vent the tank under the car. I seen many with the "stripe" coming off the cap...mine included when I bought it. My 57 Ford did that too, but it was low, behind the license plate, now THAT was a dumb design....
Tried that. Has nothing to do with the cap( Dosen't leak with cap on)only when filling

Estimate how much gas you need and then don't fill up. For instance, if you have a 12 gallon tank and it's near empty, only put 9-10 gallons in it. I don't ever fill them all the way up because the tube is poorly designed. On a many right hand corners, the gas will slosh toward the driver side and come out the tube, especially if the gas cap has an old seal.

I guess that's what I'll have to do. Guess-ta-.mate.

My 65 Newport does that too, but at least the fill is in the rear, so it just spills onto the inside of the bumper. It is probably because unleaded filler necks are a bigger diameter, so the nozzle doesn't sense enough back-pressure as the gas reaches the top. When they changed to catalytic converters, they added a restrictor hole for unleaded nozzles that were smaller. That was so one couldn't fill up with cheaper leaded gas. Our cars were orphaned. One could fill up quick in those days with a big leaded nozzle.

By trial and error and other's suggestions I settled on holding the nozzle at 90 degrees, filling it slowly, and listening for the change in sound as tank tops off. Sometimes it still overflows and I just use a wet paper towel to wipe the gas off the fender.

If I took the filler tube out and welded in a plate with a smaller hole for the unleaded pump nozzel do you think that would solve the problem? That would be easy enough to do. My wife has a 2007 Dodge Nitro that does the same thing. She doesn't fill it anymore.

"By trial and error and other's suggestions I settled on holding the nozzle at 90 degrees, filling it slowly, and listening for the change in sound as tank tops off. Sometimes it still overflows and I just use a wet paper towel to wipe the gas off the fender."

I do this also, and it works most of the time on my 65 valiant. Longer nozzles dont have this issue for me, while newer pumps with shorter nozzles spill unless I use the method described above, fill slower, hold at an angle (45-90 degrees).

You know what ?.. I'd bet There is a very simple solution to be found. A reducer that would drop in the tube. Little more than a flat washer maybe. Butchered piece of some ricers thermostat housing ? Sadly, I dont own an early A so I can't experiment.
Not only is the pump nozzle smaller but todays pumps runs a higher GPM than the pumps that full service stations had yesteryear. The attendant could check the oil, wash the window, etc.. in the time it took to "fill er up".

:glasses7:IMO a Smaller hole won't work. It seems like more Ventilation is required. I would personally try removing the Filler neck and installing a vent. It needs to be above where the Nozzle ends up(Somewhere near the top). Drill a hole and see if it fixes it. If it does then you could fab up a metal tube to direct vapour's straight down the tube to a rubber fuel hose. Just Thinking out loud but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I'm pretty sure the Layson's modification is to install a flat plate that splits the tube in half, like a modern filler neck. Then the liquid follows along the bottom half of the neck and the entire upper half becomes the vent.

They also baffle the neck, like the upper portion of a modern neck (the part with the little hole and the door and vent hole) to keep the gas from flowing up the tube and out onto the 1/4 panel, as the neck angle is too shallow and allows gas to run up the neck on sharp right handed turns.

The last fix you should be doing is also to install a new filler neck grommet, as these are a common sourse of gas leaking out when the tank is filled above 1/2 way.

All not hard to do, but I would think the baffle at the top would be the hardest part to accomplish, and maybe sourcing this piece from a modern filler neck and installing it into yours would be the best bet!! Geof

The original fill tube from my 63 has a piece of metal dividing the tube in half. Don't know if it worked, never used it.

-
Back