Pulley size ? on cooling

-
I'am running a "65" 413 and it has a crank pulley of 5 1/8 stock and a aluminum water pump pulley about 6.25. Has a 180 highflow thermostat. Runs good in the country, but gets hot 210, plus in stop and go traffic. It has a 13lb radiator cap.

I'am running a "65" 413 and it has a crank pulley of 5 1/8 stock and a aluminum water pump pulley about 6.25. Has a 180 highflow thermostat. Runs good in the country, but gets hot 210, plus in stop and go traffic. It has a 13lb radiator cap.
Put on a bigger crank pulley. U r severely under driven. Kim

Man I wish I saw this thread a few months ago. I'm selling my CVF serpentine pulley kit (black) because I went back to V groove, and then I bought the polished v groove alternator set with the single groove pulleys. Well, the alternator bracket is not compatible with the later model 165 amp alternator, only the OEM style (round or square back). This is for my 416" stroker (1971 340 block) Lessen learned, always always read their descriptions carefully and call first if you are unsure of fit/application. I also had to swap water pumps, (exit passenger side).

340 pulley mockup.jpg

Man I wish I saw this thread a few months ago. I'm selling my CVF serpentine pulley kit (black) because I went back to V groove, and then I bought the polished v groove alternator set with the single groove pulleys. Well, the alternator bracket is not compatible with the later model 165 amp alternator, only the OEM style (round or square back). This is for my 416" stroker (1971 340 block) Lessen learned, always always read their descriptions carefully and call first if you are unsure of fit/application. I also had to swap water pumps, (exit passenger side).

View attachment 1715964700

Do you have any cooling issues with that pulley set-up?

mopowers- I just got the motor back from the shop last week and had it dyno'd. It hasn't been run in the car yet and I'm still working on the pulley setup. I'm leaning towards using the stock brackets and stock 2 groove crank pulley.

mopowers- I just got the motor back from the shop last week and had it dyno'd. It hasn't been run in the car yet and I'm still working on the pulley setup. I'm leaning towards using the stock brackets and stock 2 groove crank pulley.

It might just be the angle, but that crank pulley is tiny. I'd be curious what your w/p pulley ratio is. Most people want at least a 1:1, or close to it.

I need pulleys. I am looking for a single groove crank and aluminum water pump pulley. I have been considering the CVF aluminum pulleys from Mancini but the size is not stock. Do they have an ill effect on cooling? Should I stick to looking for OEM pulleys for the best cooling?

OEM w/p pulley = 6-7/8"
CVF w/p pulley = 6-3/8"

OEM crank = 6-9/16"
CVF crank = 5-1/4"

Is this enough difference to matter?

Using a high flow w/p and also using an ATI damper. Will that have an affect on crank pulley spacing? Any alignment issues using the Denso brackets and alternator? Alternator is from a '91 D150 (two groove pulley but will switch for single grove).

I've been trying to find used pulleys but no dice yet so I have been getting closer an closer to just buying either style from Mancini, which sells the CVF billet and Bouchillon OEM pulleys. They are very comparable in price but I do like the look of the billet pulleys slightly better. Honestly, I don't like them so much better than to not get the best set for cooling though. If the OEM's are even slightly better at cooling then I'll go that route.

Thanks to you pulley and cooling gurus for helping out with my stupid questions.

I HAVE A STOCK , BIG BLOCK/HEMI SINGLE GROOVE W.PUMP PULLEY /6-5/16 '' IF YOU CANT FIND ONE . 2 5/8'' DEEP ---------Bob

I HAVE A STOCK , BIG BLOCK/HEMI SINGLE GROOVE W.PUMP PULLEY /6-5/16 '' IF YOU CANT FIND ONE . 2 5/8'' DEEP ---------Bob
I bought something from Bouchillon. Thank you, though.

-
Back