Pulling and greasing the speedometer cable

-

steveh

Reaction score
How do I pull the cable out of the sheath?

I've got it unclipped from the speedo. By hand it came out about 1" with ease but now it is pretty tight. Just a bit leary of latching on to it with a pair of needle nose...afraid I might screw it up.

Just how much lithium grease do I need to use...assume just enough for a skim coat on the cable as I slide it back in the sheath.

Lastly are there any tricks in getting it to go back in the sheath? Concerned that if it is hard to get out...it will be even more difficult to get back in and seated all the way into the tranny.

Thx

Dodn't know why your can't get it out but years ago I was having problems with mine
And was told not to use grease it will gum up and is sticky in cold weather ,He said to use grafite

Powder graphite can be found at any parts store.It works great.
TXDart

Powder graphite can be found at any parts store.It works great.
TXDart

Do NOT use grease of any kind, TXDart is 100% right, use only graphite after you thoroughly clean both the cable with a good degreaser to eliminate the contaminants and residue.
Another avenue you might want to go is with a whole new assembly, a friend of mine got his for under $20 and it fit and works great. He got it at Rock Auto.

If it won't slide in and out of the housing fairly easily, you probably need a new assembly. I'd try pulling a little harder but be carefull with the needle nose as you don't want to damage the cable. I've used grease on mine without any problems. That's what the factory used........

Ok, I'll pull a little harder and see what happens. Worst case if i screw it up its only $20 for a new cable. Thx

If it won't slide in and out of the housing fairly easily, you probably need a new assembly. I'd try pulling a little harder but be carefull with the needle nose as you don't want to damage the cable. I've used grease on mine without any problems. That's what the factory used........

And they send grease with the new one from Rock Auto.

first time I ever herd of not useing gress I have used it for yrs. with no trouble (white gress) and a fare amount.......Artie

-
Back