Pulling engine & tranny

-

clhyer

Reaction score
An easy question for y'all this morning. Can we pull & install the engine and auto transmission together; or must we drop the tranny and pull the engine separately?
Thanks,
C

I've found that if you're going up through the engine bay, it's easier to do them seperately. There's not a whole lot of room in there. The other alternative is to remove your torsion bars, rear tranny bracket, prop the back of the tranny with a block of wood. Remove the upper control arm adn the forward strut rods, remove the 4 bolts that hold in the k member and lift the car. You'll see the entire assembly below the car to roll out.

That's not all the things you need to do, but it's a good summary.

Hope that helps.

Stu

I'll convince you not to try pulling both together if I can. The tail end of the trans is gonna hit the ground unless the car is way up in the air. This means the engine hoist has to go much higher too. Try my way...
Lift the car and prepare everything under there for engine removal. Next throw a small piece of chain around the torsion bars and draw its end together with a piece of all thread,flat washers and nuts, until it is snug against the bottom of the trans.
Let the car down on wheels and remove the engine. You'll notice the car goes nearly half way back up to where it was just due to weight removal.
Short finish here... the trans comes out and goes back in and back on the support chain perfectly positioned for engine reinstall.

Take em out together. Buy yourself an engine tilter. I put the motor/trans in my duster (big block too) by myself in about an hour. The tilter is the key. I bought mine at the local auto parts for about $40.

Another trick

Jack up the back of the car to get some angle.

I don't know what you guys are talking about... I've never had a problem getting them out, or in, while being mated together. Never had a problem with the torsion bars either.

Never had to jack the car anywhere either. Did my first removal by myself as a 14 year old. I'll be 50 next month, and have done dozens of them in the years in between.

I don't know what you guys are talking about... I've never had a problem getting them out, or in, while being mated together. Never had a problem with the torsion bars either.

Never had to jack the car anywhere either. Did my first removal by myself as a 14 year old. I'll be 50 next month, and have done dozens of them in the years in between.

Have to agree...I don't think I've ever done them separate.

Off topic, if you read this Brian, I got a good Mopar bud in Suisun...was stationed at Travis with him. Back then he had a black Roadrunner and a silver Roadrunner, but they were cheap, last time I saw him he had a Chevelle parked in his drive, cause he got it cheap.

Grinly

I always pull them together, easier for me that way.

I did five of them, always i pulled them out together. I never had a problem. I think a engine tilter would be helpful, but i nevered used one.:read:

Thanks guys, y'all aren't lawyers are you? LOL
I think I will try and pull the engine and tranny from the parts Duster first and see how it goes.
Georgia wins! 45-20...
Have a good evening,
C

-
Back