Pumping the gas pedal - alot

-
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1967 Dodge Dart GT convertible with a 273 V8 with 2bbl carb. If I have not started it for awhile, I have to pump the gas pedal about 8 to 12 times to get it to start. What could be the issue? Would it be the fuel pump or the carburetor? The 2 bbl carburetor is a Carter #2310, indicating it is off a 1952-1954 DeSoto with a 277 Hemi. Is the correct, and if so should I replace it? Thanks.

I would start with choke and accelerator pump. With the choke propped open, before you crank it, remove the air filter and look down the carb throats, move the throttle. You should see a jet of fuel into each throat.

Might be bad accel pump, which is a small piston/ leather cup works like an old hand tire pump sort of.

Lacking that, a leak in the fuel pump check valves is allowing fuel to feed back to the tank somehow.

I would start with choke and accelerator pump. With the choke propped open, before you crank it, remove the air filter and look down the carb throats, move the throttle. You should see a jet of fuel into each throat.

Might be bad accel pump, which is a small piston/ leather cup works like an old hand tire pump sort of.

Lacking that, a leak in the fuel pump check valves is allowing fuel to feed back to the tank somehow.
Thanks for the info, it has been so long since I had a car I could work on (doesn't have all the computer automation stuff). I am excited to get out with it when the weather warms up, especially since it is a convertible. Interesting fact is that my first name is actually Dart, so now Dart has a Dart. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

that 2310 carb series is correct for a 273, its obviously an older design but the kit covers a huge date span. If you have fuel in the bowl (to its designed capacity) and a properly working choke, the car should kick right over with 1 pump to prime it and set the choke. It may take a few revolutions to fill the carb if the fuel is draining but it shoud not have anywhere to go but up and out the vent.

My power wagon needs coaxing after sitting for a while.after the first start its fine if i start it daily after that.

I recently acquired a 1967 Dodge Dart GT convertible with a 273 V8 with 2bbl carb. If I have not started it for awhile, I have to pump the gas pedal about 8 to 12 times to get it to start. What could be the issue? Would it be the fuel pump or the carburetor? The 2 bbl carburetor is a Carter #2310, indicating it is off a 1952-1954 DeSoto with a 277 Hemi. Is the correct, and if so should I replace it? Thanks.
I read in an article on how to start the old cars as I forgot myself and would pump the gas quickly and often. It stated to pump two times, Slowly. I tried it and it worked great, and not only a quicker start up, but the car runs smoother on the initial cold idle too.

I read in an article on how to start the old cars as I forgot myself and would pump the gas quickly and often. It stated to pump two times, Slowly. I tried it and it worked great, and not only a quicker start up, but the car runs smoother on the initial cold idle too.
Ya, those fast pumping gas peddle people obviously do not know how carburetors work.

Ya, those fast pumping gas peddle people obviously do not know how carburetors work.
Actually. you can pound it to the floor fast, you just need to hold it on the floor for a while until the accelerator pump is done doing its job.

Two pumps,crank.repeat. Always after a long sit. Like 2 weeks. A good working system takes one shot to floor. My power wagon is probably the only carbureted one on the planet with remote start. When i drove it regular it started as good as a fuel injected engine.

Well I had to re learn how to start a carburetor also. Here in Fl my happy foot was not working. We figured out even after sitting for a week to just try 3 five second cranks and then just 3 quick pumps if it doesn't hit. But it usually does. In other words if, like others have said, the fuel pump and carb are working correctly it shouldn't need much from the acc pump. Working for us for now.

Is this all the time or only when you start it up after a few hours sitting?
I had a situation that may be similar. My 2bbl Carter carb, sitting on the OEM cast iron manifold was boiling the gas out of the carb. I had to get a electric fuel pump and turn it on moments before starting, just to refill the carb.

I have spoke with quite a few people at the shows that have/had the same problem. I ended up going back to the mechanical fuel pump (the electric pumps stunk) and got a 4 bbl (so far not a big deal). What seemed to really solve the problem was the aluminum intake manifold. Whenever I shut off the engine, the manifold is never higher than 150° F. too cool to boil the fuel

-
Back