purists need not apply

-
we had a guy here that had a GUTLAS and it was powered by a 440 with twin turbos...the car flew and was hard to beat on the street...
so if you want to do a stang...do it...its what you want and you like...

If a 460 will fit a 440 ought to as well. You may have to get creative on the exhaust but that's just part of the trick. Had a buddy that put a 413 cross ram in a '56 Nomad. Badass car but he got kicked out of the Nomad club. They were kinda anal about "desecrating" a Nomad. There's a '90 Mustang up the road that is a roller and the owner only wants $800 for it. Been thinking it might be a good home for a 408 stroker.......

knock yourself out LOL

better yet , find a pinto , mustang II or a gremlin

I vote for a metropolitan! Lol but finding one on the cheap and converting it... That of course is where the mustang DOES fall in to the thumbs up category. Parts are everywhere, they can be had for almost dirt cheap and the go fast brake and suspension goodies would have endless options

Be a lot less $$$ to build the Ford motor......
I was going to say the same thing- take a cheap mustang and you could probably make the 5.0 just as fast for just as cheap as installing the 440.

(I know, I know, that's not the point lol)

Hey there, I have no idea how hard it would be or how to do it, but I say good luck and that sounds like a cool idea. I had a '99 Mustang GT 5 speed and it was one of the funnest cars I've ever owned. There are so many fun mods that can be done. There's a website called AmericanMuscle and they have free shipping and lots of variety. :D Have fun. Here are a couple of pics of the car I had (traded it for my Barracuda).

hwl1xd.jpg

2d6mao5.jpg

Go for it! If you can fabricate,or get help,have at it.The worst thing you could do,is cut up an econobox ford.

Hey there, I have no idea how hard it would be or how to do it, but I say good luck and that sounds like a cool idea. I had a '99 Mustang GT 5 speed and it was one of the funnest cars I've ever owned. There are so many fun mods that can be done. There's a website called AmericanMuscle and they have free shipping and lots of variety. :D Have fun. Here are a couple of pics of the car I had (traded it for my Barracuda).

That last sentence. I call that an upgrade! Lol

are you going to put a ford 9" rear end in her just seems right thing for a 440 LOL
I think it would be fun. good luck

Saw a Chevy 454 in a late model F-150 at a car show a couple of years ago. And it had a carburetor no less, a big old Holley double pumper. Odd. Interesting but odd.

A guy I worked with many years ago had a 350 in a F250 and I dont believe it ever broke down. lol

Wtf is the motor/trans out for?

It was bought from an insurance auction to be rebuilt for his wife to drive, it was hit so hard it broke all the front accesories on the motor plus the timing cover, valve cover, teisted the transmission and put a small (repairable) hole in the case. Broke all the ABS stuff and destroyed the front subframe. It now has a subframe from a chrysler 300 in it lol their all the same for that. He's $7k into it including purchase price and putting the new subframe in it but its not worth fixing at the moment so we might just run it back throuh the sale.

My first Car was a 57 Ford Custom Tudor (looking like a Fairlane 500 but was a post car, instead of a hardtop. bought it in 1965.

The car originally had an in-line 6 with a 3 speed manual and a small rear.
After driving it for a couple of years like that, I eventually swapped in a Ford 9" rear. it was a straight bolt in.

The next change was a was a Small block MoPar with an 833. Snug fit but manageable. The engine was basically a stock 273 ( a dime a dozen at the time) with a 625 AFB (vac. secondaries), and Edlebrock manifold. As I recall it was a "Streetmaster 318", and a set of Doug Thorley headers into Hush Thrush mufflers. Later I added an electronic ignition system from a wrecked early 70's MoPar.

The car not only got faster, with fantastic reliability, it also gained by leaps and bounds in driveability.

There were really only a few issues to over come: The motor mounts, the trans mounts, the drive shaft, and some steering column clearances.
My cousin Tommy fabricated a set of mounts in metal shop in high school with the help of the teacher (also a gear head) that worked the first time, with some GM biscuits. I drew up the modifications that needed to be dune to to the Ford trans mounts to support the 833. Involved adding some tabs to the tail end of the trans for stability, and we modified the headers by 7/8" (as I recall) to clear the steering column and box.

I bought the car for $25.00 in 1965. over the years that I owned it, I don't believe I spent more than about $2000.00 on it in total for mods, including the rear, the driveshaft mods, the motor and trans mounts fabrication, the 833, the 273, headers, intake, carb, air cleaner, and other mods like paint, and interior, and such.

Nearly everything (except paint) was done in my garage, at home, by me, my cousin, and friends, and I drove the car for some 8 years. It was my daily driver, and became my tow vehicle when I bought a new 68 Hemi roadrunner.
Flat towed at first, but later I added a helper leaf to the Ford's rear, and air bags (used to have to get under the car to add or release air from the bags), so I could trailer the Road Runner to Great Meadows, Atco, and E'town, and sometimes even to the old National Speedway on Long Island.

It was bought from an insurance auction to be rebuilt for his wife to drive, it was hit so hard it broke all the front accesories on the motor plus the timing cover, valve cover, teisted the transmission and put a small (repairable) hole in the case. Broke all the ABS stuff and destroyed the front subframe. It now has a subframe from a chrysler 300 in it lol their all the same for that. He's $7k into it including purchase price and putting the new subframe in it but its not worth fixing at the moment so we might just run it back throuh the sale.

Ouch!

A 440 in a mustang would be neat, but what I've always wanted to do is drop one in an older style car.

FFR makes an old ford kit that's pretty cheap, when you look at all you get. Ready to paint up and drop an engine in. If I get one, I'll probably have to go with the 302, for the sake of cheapness, but if you've already got the engine lying around, check it out!

https://www.factoryfive.com/kits/33-hot-rod/

Pretty sharp lookin kit, if you ask me. And it'd be like having the reliability of a brand new car, and all the style of a classic.

I love it Dustin. If folks ask you why you put the Mopar 440 in it, just tell them "Cuz I wanted to go fast!"... I'm looking forward to following your build.

Pat

lol i need to start cleaning the garage out this weekend and then liquidate the rest of my mopar stock and then i can have the room for a car and the money lol

-
Back