Purple Monster Cam

-

bwillaub

Reaction score
The 440 I bought to go in my '72 Dart Swinger build came with a Purple Monster Cam already installed. Anyone out there have any experience with these? I have read good and bad things about them. Any input will be appreciated.

Sorry about not replying sooner. I've been away for a while.

When I first got this engine home, I GOOGLED "purple monster cam" and found a page that had several people's comments on the cam. I should have bookmarked the page. Now, like the rest of you, I can't find a thing on it. It's possible that it is just one of the purple colored MOPAR cams. Again I was just going off the info provided to me.

It is refreshing to see all the comic relief. I was wondering where all the out of work comedians had gone off to.

If it is a Mopar Purple shaft this is what it came with for break in!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 266
Back side!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 263
If its a purple shaft cam, odds are pretty high that it will fail regardless of how you break it in. In fact, the ONLY cams I ever had go flat, were BOTH mopar purple shaft cams...That is out of probally 100 engines........just sayin

If its a purple shaft cam, odds are pretty high that it will fail regardless of how you break it in. In fact, the ONLY cams I ever had go flat, were BOTH mopar purple shaft cams...That is out of probally 100 engines........just sayin

Hence I still have this can of stuff!

I have used plenty of purple shafts in the past and still run one that is 28 years old! Always used Crane or other break in lubes. Never had an issue.

Hence I still have this can of stuff!

I have used plenty of purple shafts in the past and still run one that is 28 years old! Always used Crane or other break in lubes. Never had an issue.

Sounds like your experience was quite different than mine! After 2, I refused to buy or install a purple shaft cam anymore.......Glad you had better luck!

Sounds like your experience was quite different than mine! After 2, I refused to buy or install a purple shaft cam anymore.......Glad you had better luck!

I will give you one thing.

The Puple shafts seemed to vary wildly and if you did not take the time to verify timing you were likely to be dissapointed!

There are much better choices available today than 25 years ago!

I've run a LOT of the purple cams over the years and never had one problem. That said, I have not run one in a long time. I have read and heard the quality is really lacking now. If I wanted one, I would try to find an NOS one.

I think part of the issue is that mopar probally used different cam grinders through the years, so nobody really would know who ground the one you have. I only had 2 cams go flat in 25+ years of building engines, and the were both purple shafts. But I have torn down used engines that had them in them, that still looked ok, so I really dunno what the deal is.

Just installed a mp590 in duster 2 yrs ago...still running great...

have used dozens of MP cam...never had one go flat on me...

The early ones were ground by Racer Brown I think? Not sure how many grinders Mopar used over the years to present day!

I have no idea how old this cam is as it was in the 440 when I purchased it and the person I bought the motor from said the motor was in a truck when he bought the truck. I'll be sure to lube all working surfaces well. Thanks for all the comments.

I wouldn't run a used MPP cam or any flat tappet cam on a bet. A roller, yes, I'd reuse one.

-
Back