push rod ?

-

1970-dart

Reaction score
first thanks in advance.

oiling ( hallow)straight through type)or non oiling ( hollow through with solid ends)

I have done some research on here and see that either will work fine with no real adverse effect on the valve train or oil pressures on pretty much normal daily street driven stock 1985 360.

I got this motor with the lifters still in the motor but rockers shaft assemblies and push rods just sitting in the valve covers ( that were off the motor) the shafts were marked front back/left/right ect but the push rods were just taped together with no real order marked out other than what side they came out of

So i have 4 of each ( oiling and non oiling) for each side and all of the rocker arms have holes but i did not check the lifters to see if there was any difference in the tops. i will do than now and hopefully some insight when i come back in the house in awhile

thanks again and im sure there is some info that will be wanted that i left out so please ask if you need anything else

IIRC,Those lifters will all have oiling holes in them. So what goes where? IDK
The intake rockers work a little harder. The valve lift is usually a little higher and therefor the spring pressure over the nose will be a bit higher,and the valve is bigger/heavier.Some might say to put the hollow ones on the intakes.
Some might say to put them on the exhausts to provide oil-cooling to the springs. Good arguement.
Unless someone replies to the contrary, I would put the hollow ones on the exhausts.

this piece was in the pile of parts and i figure it goes here but there is holes in the top of it but nothing in the top of the motor to bolt it down. also the back end fits perfect and i a smooth machine type cut. the front of it fits perfect as well but it looks like somebody cut it to fit on that end because its kinda jagged and sharp but is a perfect fit from what i can tell

View attachment p1.jpg

Mopar has been cursed by their lifter geometry. It sucks. It is what it is and cant be changed by your average Joe. Your lifters have holes in them because they also fit AMC/Magnums and they oil through the lifter, up the hollow pushrods to the rocker arms. Most LA's dont oil through the pushrod, their rockers get it from the shafts they ride on. Pedestal Magnum rockers get oiled though their hollow rods. Looks good, run it.

That is a lifter valley baffle. The holes are for spring steel clips that rotate under the head lip to keep it down. You need those to keep it in. It holds the oil flung off the camshaft off the intake bottom and also keeps your lifters in place if you pop a pushrod, preserving your oil pressure. Ill post a pic of one with the right clips.

attachment.php

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. The oil coming up these hollow pushrods would be additional to that which is being pumped through the normal LA oil circuit which goes to the hollow rocker shafts,and into the rocker arms through their bearing surfaces.
That geometry was the price to pay for the high mounted camshaft which makes fitting a stroker crank almost a breeze. Yay on the room, Boo on the geometry.
If you dont have the hold down straps, either figure out a fool-proof way to keep that baffle down, or pitch it. It will run fine without it. No worries.

thank you and ill look in the parts box for those metal clips and if not ill try to find some to buy

you could stud the block and run them up into the baffle, just locktite the nuts. You could even put some mattress coil springs on top and let the intake push it down.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. The oil coming up these hollow pushrods would be additional to that which is being pumped through the normal LA oil circuit which goes to the hollow rocker shafts,and into the rocker arms through their bearing surfaces.
That geometry was the price to pay for the high mounted camshaft which makes fitting a stroker crank almost a breeze. Yay on the room, Boo on the geometry.
If you dont have the hold down straps, either figure out a fool-proof way to keep that baffle down, or pitch it. It will run fine without it. No worries.

if they are not there and i cant get a set cheap i will try a few things like pishta said and or just pitch it. i feel better about the push rod stuff as it looked weird and i did not really notice it that much in my 318.

i wish i knew more about the motor as far as specs but really just hope it runs good. are stroker blocks bored over ?? how could a person tell if it was or was not a stroker. i have the part number off the crank and pistons.

are the different pushrods the same length? some heads average intake valve height is different than average exh valve height? ask the sharp dude u got the engine from

are the different pushrods the same length? some heads average intake valve height is different than average exh valve height? ask the sharp dude u got the engine from

they are all the same length and like i said he bought the motor for a project that changed directions and he dont know anymore about it than i do lol

Solid pushrod ends VS pushrod ends with holes... With the holes it doesn't matter because little to no oil is going to go up the pushrod because it dead-ends at the rocker arm. Oil won't flow if there is no place for it to go.

pre magnum mopar rockers have oil holes at pushrods to get oil. prime oil pump and rotate crank befor intake and valve covers on. the rocker shaft on a small block is fed from the 2 cam bearing-drivers side, 4 bearing pass side. how is warm oil flowing during prime. throw hollow pushrods where more oil may help.

Post #1 says all of the rocker arms have holes.
I took it for truth.

Yes it does. I forgot about those holes in the stock rocker arms. And I believe this combined with the pushrods with the oil holes will create an oil "leak" of sorts. Because those rocker arm holes are meant to send oil to the tips of the pushrods from above. The oil is supposed to come from the rocker arm shaft and some of it flows down into the pocket around the hole, and thus lubricates the pushrod (on the engine the OP is working on.) Remembering this, I believe it would be better to use pushrods with solid ends. There is no point in sending excess oil to the heads, when that oil could be better used to lube the bottom end. All the pushrods made by Chrysler for the engines with shaft mounted rockers had no holes in the ends for a reason.

i know the ones with holes seem to set better in the rockers and seem like they were made to be there and fit like a glove. and the ones without holes seem to not sit snug up in the rocker like the others. the ones without holes seem to be shinier and out of place(kinda like they are newer) vs the ones with holes

but they are the same length. i guess i should compare the size of the ends a little better to make sure they are not larger. but i guess they must be larger if they are not resting up in that little cupped area of the rocker.

it seems to look fine turning it over by hand but that is just very slow compared to when it is actually running. so i guess i need to make sure that all is well before putting it together

ill get some pics of what im talking about

of course it is more exaggerated depending on where it is in its travel. But at no point do they sit in the rockers as good as the ones with holes do at their most exaggerated position.

they put gobs of what looks to be nasty grey/silver grease all over the rockers and shafts. im assuming they did it for storage reasons or maybe they were just dumb but its messy and hard to clean whatever it is

View attachment r1.jpg

View attachment r2.jpg

View attachment r3.jpg

Ok now waitaminite.
I was going on the assumption(oh-oh) that we were working on just reassembling factory original stuff.
How many Gray grease globed on rockers do you have?and how many are new?
Whats new here, and whats not? Did stuff come in boxes? with brand names and PNs?

Ok now waitaminite.
I was going on the assumption(oh-oh) that we were working on just reassembling factory original stuff.
How many Gray grease globed on rockers do you have?and how many are new?
Whats new here, and whats not? Did stuff come in boxes? with brand names and PNs?

from what i can see only the non oiling push rods are different/maybe new.

rocker arm shaft with rockers were all intact taped on the end to keep them together and marked for front/back left/right and push rods were taped in sets and all the stuff was sitting inside the valve covers

part numbers lol i have nothing but it all appears to be of used/stock type other than the 8 ( 4 each side) non oiling push rods

the grease is just allover the rockers the shaft and was some on the push rods also. and looking at it in these pictures the newer looking non oiling ones are clearly look to be bigger around

The only gray globby grease I know of isnt grease at all. Its what oil turns into, inside old motors that are running on leaded gas. In other words;sludge.Circa the 60s and 70s.

If the pushrods dont fit any cups,dont use them.

The only gray globby grease I know of isnt grease at all. Its what oil turns into, inside old motors that are running on leaded gas. In other words;sludge.Circa the 60s and 70s.

If the pushrods dont fit any cups,dont use them.

It is only on the rocker assemblies and for sure something somebody put on there. The rest of the engine is very clean and sludge/grease free. I will look at the spare ones I hsve to see if they are same length and size.

Thanks.

-
Back