Push Start a Torqueflite For Me

-
...Maybe both of your hands are full of the same stuff?
Why did you feel the need to get in here and **** up a previously interesting thread? There might be a few reasons an engine won't start, electrically or otherwise, when a push or tow start might be "handy"

clutchflite is a AT with a clutch. the PS pump energizes all the hydrauilics and the clutch is the connection, acts like a full auto under power without the torque multiplication.
; Right, I've never seen a ps pump used for that purpose; always a weird weak-looking contraption spanning the input shaft to drive the pump. I would be interested in seeing a setup that uses the ps pump if you know of one.

; Right, I've never seen a ps pump used for that purpose; always a weird weak-looking contraption spanning the input shaft to drive the pump. I would be interested in seeing a setup that uses the ps pump if you know of one.
You build it and test it and report back.

Umm...NO. That was NEVER stated. Maybe you shouldn't be working on your own car?
I bet I've replaced more starters in my lifetime than cars you have owned. After all, you can't be more than 12 years old

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet I've replaced more starters in my lifetime than cars you have owned. After all, you can't be more than 12 years old
.. Well, I'll be 70 next year and I presently own a collection of 43 cars. Ahh to be 12 again..what's it like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Knock it off in here please....Quit with the personal jabs & stay on topic.

Thanks

I've seen a few clutchflites and the B&M conversion as well. None of them were hydraulic. All of them had a standard bellhousing bolted to the front pump with the original automatic bellhousing cut off. Worked just like a manual with the clutch pedal, but the clutch engaged the automatic transmission. The conversions were pretty popular in early dirt track cars.

Drift started my ‘74 Duster a few times when I was 16, even though the 727 didn’t have a rear pump. At that time I was running a Quadrajunk Carb on the 340. SOB would randomly load up, starve for fuel or vapor lock (and the result was random too).

I got pretty good at telling what mood the Quadrajunk was in, and if it suddenly starved and cut out, I’d row it up to Neutral (usually at 45-60mph), slam the throttle a few times and drop it back into gear and the engine would fire back up.

Now, the Mercedes 722 Automatic in my Turbo Diesel Dakota does have a Rear Pump, but I’ve never tried to drift or push start it.

74Dusted, l'm confused. You put it in neutral for a few seconds then back into drive and the wheels cranked it over without help from the starter? I myself have turned off the motor while coasting, and with it left in drive; the trans turned the motor until l put it into neutral, but if l went back to drive there was no engine turning.

74Dusted, l'm confused. You put it in neutral for a few seconds then back into drive and the wheels cranked it over without help from the starter? I myself have turned off the motor while coasting, and with it left in drive; the trans turned the motor until l put it into neutral, but if l went back to drive there was no engine turning.

Yeah. Did that for about 3 months, until I replaced the Quadrajet with a Thermoquad and never had an issue with it stalling, loading up or vapor locking again.

When I put an 833 in the Duster I transplanted that 727 into my V8 swapped Dodge D50, still seems to function like that, as the Holley on the 273 likes to stumble out if you go up/down a steep hill (fuel slosh slamming the floats shut). Start pumping the gas and it’ll fire back up. Never did try to drift start it while leaving it in Gear the whole time, it probably would work.

-
Back