Put down the deposit today on the new puppy

-

Sport 360

MOPAR Lover
Reaction score
After going a couple years now (since we put down our Rodesian Ridgeback) we're ready to take the plunge again.
He was born Monday night during the height of "Sandy". 6 females and 4 males, all healthy and beautiful.
We're taking a male, name is Eko (pronounced echo) after Mr Eko on the TV show Lost.
The plans are for me to use him at work, hopefully be trained and ready to go in 20-24 months.
Breed is a "Belgian Malinois"

Attachments

• 000_0012 (Large).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 606
  • 000_0006 (Large).jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 602
Happy for you Sport 360 :cheers: Seeing Eko and his family sure made my morning.
:happy1::happy1::happy1:

cute puppy. What kinda work are you in?

I can't speak for the OP, but when I was in the Navy, Base Security used the Belgian Malinois exclusively for their K-9 operations.

That is a beautiful pup there. Congratulations on the new addition. May you have a long and fruitful life together!

Congrats on the newest family member! Pretty pup.
Kinda surprised your changing breeds as most people I've known that have had Rhodesian Ridgebacks love the breed and stay with them for their next dog. I'm also guilty of that as our current Ridgeback (Brady) is the 3rd we've had. Outstanding dogs with great characteristics and personalities!

Cool, a Malinois! Funny, I was just watching "Dogs 101" last weekend and that was one of the featured breeds. I've only seen one in real life though.

That pup is cute as heck and I wish you all many happy years together.

BTW, what do you do for work? Security related?

I'm a full time Captain with Toronto Fire (29 yrs) on a Rescue truck but I am also a member of a Rapid Response Team called Global Medic that is based here in Toronto.
We respond to areas throughout the world to provide disaster relief (floods/earthquakes/landslides/tsunami/epidemics/conflicts etc etc) including medical aid, search and rescue, provide water purification and so on. Just some of the many countries we've been include Syria, Haiti, Japan, Pakistan, Turkey, Chile, Somalia, Philippines etc etc......anywhere, anytime !
I will use this new pup as part of the K9 Unit in the search for survivors of structural collapses. These dogs prove to be invaluable for this type of work. It'll be a lot of training in the coming months, I hope my Dart understands .... lol

I'm a full time Captain with Toronto Fire (29 yrs) on a Rescue truck but I am also a member of a Rapid Response Team called Global Medic that is based here in Toronto.
We respond to areas throughout the world to provide disaster relief (floods/earthquakes/landslides/tsunami/epidemics/conflicts etc etc) including medical aid, search and rescue, provide water purification and so on. Just some of the many countries we've been include Syria, Haiti, Japan, Pakistan, Turkey, Chile, Somalia, Philippines etc etc......anywhere, anytime !
I will use this new pup as part of the K9 Unit in the search for survivors of structural collapses. These dogs prove to be invaluable for this type of work. It'll be a lot of training in the coming months, I hope my Dart understands .... lol

Very cool! Thanks for what you do, you must find that line of work incredibly rewarding.

I take it the training will be both at a special facility and and at home? I find working dogs incredibly facinating and I suppose I should've trained my rotts.... They really need a job, lol. It's out of the question now for Maxie since she broke her leg, but I do have a backpack for Merlin. I'd like to train him to pull a small cart too.

If you can, keep us updated on Eko's training, I'm really curious as to how it's done and what's involved in training a S&R dog. Movies of Eko working would be awesome too!

"Eko" at 4 weeks (taken last week)

Attachments

• 3b boy (2).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 431
Oh he is going to be trouble. He is already sticking his tongue out at ya.

If that don't warm your hart nothing can... Eko is growing nicely and thank you for sharing this with us this day, just a couple more weeks and the training starts :cheers:

Thats a cute lookin pup! We had to put our Choc. Lab down a few months ago and will likely wait a year or two before we take the plunge again as well. But those pics are so cute..... Makes me want another one. Enjoy him, as they are truly "mans best friend"!

Congrats Rob, he sure is a handsome devil!! As Ramcharger mentioned, it would be cool to "follow" along with the training...pics/video at least! Mama has that no-nonsense look!

Rob, I just did some reading on Global Medic. I gotta say big thumbs up to all of you involved. Y'all should google Global Medic. I learned something here today.

Here's the 6 week photo, looks like he comes home Dec 22/12.

Attachments

• M 2 - Copy (720x1024).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 346
I see he has the auditory radar working. :) Makes me miss my Turbo (GSD), Turbo had radar ears from hell, I used to just sit and watch which direction her ears would go and eventually I would see a squirell, person walking, car coming etc.

So going for the 8 weeks before seperation? Probably a good idea. I'll spare you the "Bringing home a new puppy" advice, I get the feeling you know exactly what you're doing.

Here's the whole gang, 6 females, 4 males.
Should be a busy day on Saturday !! :happy2:

Attachments

• The gang - Copy - Copy (1024x600).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 304
-
Back