puting a/c in a non a/c 66 valiant HELP !!!

-

gasjockey101

Reaction score
so im in automotive in my high school and next year i am takeing the a/c corse wear i am beaing trained to handle refregreants and i as my teacher if i cold install an a/c unit in my 66 valiant he sayed yes so my questions are
the car 66 plymouth valiant slaint 6
questions
#1 what do i need to put an a/c in my car (list )
#2 price
#3 is tere a stock looking one that i can get (not a huge fan of the under dash a/c unit but if that is what was orignley what the car came with then ill put it in )
#4 wear can i get these parts (junk yard serten company ...?)
i whant to do this >>>>:burnout:with weating in + 30c

They came with a in/under dash unit from the factory. Controls are in the dash and the vents are under.

I remember reading that the factory a/c bezels for early A are extremely rare. Dealer installed/aftermarket a/c will have the controls mounted in the under dash vent assembly. That will probably be the best route.
Good luck either way

Putting factory A/C on a car not originally equipped is a much bigger job than it seems. You have to have all(!) the parts, many of which are quite difficult to find at this late date—Classic Auto Air won't have them—and you have to do a great deal of cutting, drilling, and modifying. I did it on my '65 Canadian Valiant and because I'm a slow learner I did it again on my '89 D100. In both cases I had all factory parts and the results in both cases were not good enough to justify the effort and expense. If you'd like to add A/C to your '66, there are much more cost-effective ways of doing it.

But if only factory A/C will satisfy you, you will need:

-Complete heater/AC box assembly (lives up behind the dash) and duct assembly (bolted to underside of dash). Direct interchange is '65-'66 Dart, Barracuda and Valiant with factory A/C; a '67-'68 unit can be made to fit with some adaptation, and a '69-'72 unit with some additional adaptation

-5-button vacuum switch, 3-speed fan switch, temperature slider, bracket. '65-'66 Valiant, Dart, and Barracuda with factory A/C; '67-'72 with adaptation

-Dash bezel for control. '66 Valiant with factory A/C only, no other model/year interchanges.

-All underhood components. Compressor, condenser, brackets, hoses, pulleys, filter-dryer, expansion valve, heater water valve. You've got some leeway here; you can adapt aftermarket and/or later-model parts unless you need it to look exactly like it came from the factory with A/C.

-Upgraded radiator and radiator fan, fan shroud

-Cable-type accelerator pedal, cable, throttle linkage bracket, auto trans kickdown linkage, and compatible carburetor. The non-A/C slant-6 '66 A-bodies like yours used a rotating-rod throttle linkage for which there is no room when you install the A/C-heat box behind the dash; you have to swap to the cable-type setup used on '65-'66 slant-6 A/C A-bodies (also '64-'66 V8 A-bodies) if you want an original appearance, or else adapt and use a later-model "hanging" accelerator pedal assembly.

-Tinted glass all around, or else the A/C will labour fruitlessly against the sun's much greater power to turn your metal box on wheels into a solar oven

-LOTS of time, patience, tools, and money

-
Back