Pypes Turbo Pro

-

supertruck

Unretired Old Fart stock car racer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for anyone with experience with the Pypes Turbo Pro. Here's my story: 73 Dart Sport, built 340, 200-4R trans, 3.91 Sure grip. Summit 2.5 exhaust with H pipe. The Summit turbo mufflers sounded great from outside but drone was terrible. Went with Dynomax Super Turbos because they were supposed to be drone-free. Nope, they're worse than the Summit. In fact, the noise is unbearable between 1800 - 2200 RPM cruising. The only time it's bearable is when I take my foot off the gas and slow down, then the drone disappears. Love the external sound, though. The Pypes are advertised as drone free but the company does not answer my inquiries. Any real life experiences? I know this is another muffler query, but I'm tired of buying mufflers that don't live up to their advertising. Thanks FABO.

How do the tail pipes terminate out the back? Past the valance or under

Look up Helmholtz resonance. The mufflers are likely not the problem.

The pipes come out just like the stock set up. With reproduction tips as original. I'll check out the Helmholtz resonance.

Love to have you get a pair of our mufflers but if the Dynomax super turbo's gave you drone, the Pypes super turbo's will give you very similar drone. Internally, they are very much the same design. Things to check:
1. Make sure the exhaust system is insulated from the body of the car with rubber hangers.
2. H-Pipe is not helping. An x-pipe smooths out the tone much better.
3. You may end up needing a pair of resonators in addition to the mufflers for your application.

Thanks Ccas. I think the hangers just aft of the mufflers are steel strap with no rubber, I'll check them. I added the H-pipe after I installed the Dynomax and did not notice any change. Don't think I'll mess with an X-pipe now, may have to get some Walker's or even the Accurate Exhaust stock pieces. I'll give up a bit of street HP to get rid of that drone. I couldn't stand that if I was young again, it's that bad.

I just had the Pypes Turbo pro mufflers installed on my 72 Duster with a healthy 340. These replaced my Magaflows. I only bought the Pypes because of their promise to "elimate drone". Unfortunalty the drone is worst now than with the Magaflows, but at a slightly lower rpm. I also have resonators installed but they didn't help all that much. I also have X pipes. I guess I need to think about adding a J pipe.

I'm kinda surprised you have a drone with turbos (triple pass). Most complaints I've heard are from two chamber flowmasters, and their clones.
You could try something like an ultra flow straight thru, but it will be louder than your turbos.
I would consider a pair of glasspacks in the tailpipes, as resonators, to cancel the drone.
The helmholtz definitely work, but require some math, some experimentation, and some fab skills.

I'm kinda surprised you have a drone with turbos (triple pass). Most complaints I've heard are from two chamber flowmasters, and their clones.
You could try something like an ultra flow straight thru, but it will be louder than your turbos.
I would consider a pair of glasspacks in the tailpipes, as resonators, to cancel the drone.
The helmholtz definitely work, but require some math, some experimentation, and some fab skills.

And in my humble opinion horsepower and quiet can be compatible. Get the proper sized pipe for the application, proper internal tube size in the muffler....and the BIGGEST, longest muffler that will fit under the car.

And in my humble opinion horsepower and quiet can be compatible. Get the proper sized pipe for the application, proper internal tube size in the muffler....and the BIGGEST, longest muffler that will fit under the car.
Quiet and horsepower? Just add turbos!!

22 years ago I owned a Shelby Cobra replica with a 351C and side pipes. The pipes were chambered and much longer than the mufflers on my Duster. I loved the exhaust note on that car. No drone either.

22 years ago I owned a Shelby Cobra replica with a 351C and side pipes. The pipes were chambered and much longer than the mufflers on my Duster. I loved the exhaust note on that car. No drone either.
I also own a Cobra replica. 429 SCJ with side pipes. Beautiful sound and no drone at all.

Look up Helmholtz resonance. The mufflers are likely not the problem.
eliminated drone completely.

004.JPG

resonator 1a.JPG

resonator 2.jpg

Nice work.
I have to confess. I found a place to put it and installed it but a local muffler shop sells the stainless kit with the band clamps. They say they install them on the new Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers because they are drone monsters with upgraded exhaust. They sell mid pipes with them already welded in. Mine being in the tail pipe works fine.

Last edited:
I have to confess. I found a place to put it and installed it but a local muffler shop sells the stainless kit with the band clamps. They say they install them on the new Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers because they are drone monsters with upgraded exhaust. They sell mid pipes with them already welded in. Mines being in the tail pipe works fine.
You didn't have to mess around with altering the length to match the resonant frequency?

That J pipe - is that welded into your exhaust aft of the muffler? And is it a closed end pipe? Couldn't tell from the photo bur it looks like it is. And you have one for each exhaust line? I'm impressed by the engineering but I'm going with a quieter muffler rather than that. I'm no acoustical engineer and it's just hard to believe that drone is that hard to solve. Back in my younger days, I admit a long time ago, we bought whatever performance muffler was available and drone was never mentioned. Thanks for all the help guys.

That J pipe - is that welded into your exhaust aft of the muffler? And is it a closed end pipe? Couldn't tell from the photo bur it looks like it is. And you have one for each exhaust line? I'm impressed by the engineering but I'm going with a quieter muffler rather than that. I'm no acoustical engineer and it's just hard to believe that drone is that hard to solve. Back in my younger days, I admit a long time ago, we bought whatever performance muffler was available and drone was never mentioned. Thanks for all the help guys.
My plan was to also go with a "quieter muffler" but it only made the droning worse.

I have to confess. I found a place to put it and installed it but a local muffler shop sells the stainless kit with the band clamps. They say they install them on the new Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers because they are drone monsters with upgraded exhaust. They sell mid pipes with them already welded in. Mines being in the tail pipe works fine.
Well they did a good job. And it shows that the science works. Smart guys, offering “pre made helmholtz reaonators”, one weld, one hole, and a hanger. And I bet their customers are happy to sign the check.

@LJ67barracuda340 have you found a different RPM where the resonant frequency moved to? Or did the J pipe move it to an RPM range where you never see?

You didn't have to mess around with altering the length to match the resonant frequency?
Yes the short pipe thats capped is adjustable about 6 inches for frequency. I found that it didnt make a lot of difference in tone on my application but if I remove it the drone returns full force.

-
Back