Quality Budget 408

-

mpd12150

Reaction score
There seems to be several posts asking questions about building a 408 but wanting to maintain a budget while obtain the most performance one can get.

I am by no means an expert and I welcome anyone and everyone to correct me at any point, but I have been asked by a few members to post my build specs for the 408 I just finished building that will be going into my son's 69 Dart GT that is a memorial build for my 19 year old son who was killer July 4, 2015.

I will start off by giving the numbers that I was able to obtain when it hit the dyno for break in and tune. I was able to obtain 413HP and 463 Torque. The following is the build specifics that I used and I am confident there are many others on here that can add to this post with great information and I welcome it. This entire ground up car build is being done on a very restrictive budget as I am a disabled and forcibly retired police officer so...to say the funds are tight is a significant understatement. I hope this helps others understand that you can build a very powerful stroked 408 without the need for very expensive aluminum heads and other high dollar parts. The key was quality on a budget. Here ya go and I do hope this helps. I will gladly answer any and all questions or private messages.

I started with a 1978 360 that was a mess. I disassembled the engine and sent the block off to be taken care of. The block was obviously cooked and cleaned. It had brass expansion plugs installed as well as new oiling plugs. I installed new cam bearings and had the cylinders torque plate honed after boring .30 over. I had it decked but just for straightness....not zero decked.

The rotating assembly is internally balanced Skat set up with a cast crank, forged I beam rods and forged Icon Flat top pistons. I used a Meiling standard volume oil pump, you DO NOT need a high volume oil pump. I used a Cloyes Double Roller timing chain...the one I used was about $65. Now...here is here is the very most important....CAM SHAFT!!

DO NOT use an off the shelf cam. Go to the Bullet cams website, www.bulletcams.com, move the cursor over the contact tab, and it will drop down cam selection. Click that link and it will be a fill in the blank page and you will need to fill it out to your specifications. Once you send it off to Bullet, they will contact you via email. I dealt with Tim Langly and he is a great guy who knows what he is talking about. It will cost you about $350 for the cam and lifters and yes, you can get one cheaper, but you will hate yourself. CONTACT BULLET and have them build you a custom grind. (there are several companies that will do a custom cam built for you, I used Bullet and I can speak to their product, I am sure there are many other guys on here that can recommend another company but this was my build and that is the power it made)

As for the heads, I am using a set of 1973 small valve 360 heads from a Challenger. These heads are nothing great. They have a set of springs good for .500 lift and that is it...besides a valve job. I have ZERO port work at all.

I am running 1.5 Mopar Performance Full Billit Roller Rockers and Comp Cams pushrods, they are nothing special for push rods, but spend good money on roller rockers...don't mess around with that.

I am running an Edelbrock Performer intake...nothing special with that....again...no porting at all.

I am running a Quick Fuel Slayer Series 750 CFM carb, when I had the engine dyno tuned they did some jet changing.

That is the build....I have about $4500 and that includes the dyno tune and I HIGHLY recommend that dyno work. When you have it on the dyno, they break it in properly, make sure it is oiling well and cooling as well. It is a controlled environment and it is being broke in and tuned by people who know what they are doing. Spend the money...it is money well spent. I spent about $670 but I had to had my distributor rebuilt as well. The dyno was a former Rosch Racing Dyno...for whatever that is worth.

As for the distributor and ignition, I am using a electronic distributor...nothing special. You do not need to spend insane money for MSD distributors, however I am using a MSD 6AL and a good set of Accel wires and thats that.

My engine makes 413hp and 463 torque. I know I left ALLOT of power on the table by not having a set of worked heads but this is a nasty little small block. It is reliable and makes bitchin power. I do intend on sending the set of 1978 heads from this engine off and have them worked for bigger valves and have a mild port and polish job done. It will cost me right around $900 to have this done but I will also have a well over 500hp iron head small block and that is my goal. I want to build 500hp iron head engines and prove you do not need Aluminum heads or any high dollar heads. People will argue that spending $900 to have iron heads worked is a waste...and that is entirely their opinion. I am an old school kind of guy even though I am only 44. I like iron heads versus aluminum.

If you build what I just told you...you will have a nasty small block making over 400hp and that will make your car one kick *** ride.

You left out who's rotating assy or what you used. What cam specs?

rotating assembly is internally balanced Skat set up with a cast crank, forged I beam rods and forged Icon Flat top pistons.

scat crank..scat i beam rods....and icon pistons..

You left out who's rotating assy or what you used. What cam specs?

As stated in the post, the rotating assembly is Scat with a cast crank, forgged I beam rods and Forged I con pistons. My computer auto corrected the spelling to Skat.

As for the cam specs, my cam specs will be different than anyone's. If you go to Bullet Cams web site, and use their custom grind spec sheet, there is many different factors that they use to build the cam to include weight of car, type of transmission, rear gear, torque converter, whether you use power brakes and many other factors so my specific cam will vary compared to potentially your custom ground cam.

My cam:

CRA288/296H-08+4
231/239 [email protected]
.485/.503 Lift With 1.5
108/104LSA/CL

keeping in mind, yours may not be the same...depending on the information you send to Bullet.

Again, my computer is being special tonight.

Scat cast internally balanced crank, Forged I Beam Rods, Forged Icon Flattop Pistons

While I will often recommend Edelbrock heads it is because of the ceiling the offer in performance. OOTB and ported.

I have no issue with OE or W2 iron heads. I have often said in the past that spending money on your parts your way is the only way you should part with your money and iron heads are fine IF you don't mind not loosing the weight and there limited performance ceiling.

OE iron heads are approximately 190-200 cfm's on the best castings. Some may flow a bit more. Ported, they can go 260cfm-ish. W2's are 260 OOTB and can go well over 300cfm.

In terms of potential performance, there isn't a whole lot these cant do in the street or for your street strip ride. The biggest problems are getting someone to do the work and hearing the crap about the bennifit's of aluminum like your a dumb ****** that's been living under a rock your whole life.

Last edited:
While I will often recommend Edelbrock heads it is because of the ceiling the offer in performance. OOTB and ported.

I have no issue with OE or W2 iron heads. I have often said in the past that spending money on your parts your way is the only way you should part with your money and iron heads are fine IF you don't mind not loosing the weight and there limited performance ceiling.

OE iron heads are approximately 190-200 cfm's on the best castings. Some may flow a bit more. Ported, they can go 260cfm-280cfm. W2's are 260 OOTB and can go well over 300cfm.

In terms of potential performance, there isn't a whole lot these cant do in the street or for your street strip ride. The biggest problems are getting someone to do the work and hearing the crap about the bennifit's of aluminum like your a dumb ****** that's been living under a rock your whole life.

Fortunately being a retired cop, I have been called everything from everyone...so...that doesn't bother me in the least. For those that want to heckle me for using and spending money on iron heads, I will happily accept their money to purchase aluminum heads for me. My build is what my son wanted...unfortunately, he will not be able to see the finished product because he was killed...I will just do what he wanted since it is his car. For those that want to use the information from my build and modify it for their own application and bank account, I wish them the very best and look forward to hearing their results.

I have found that people build their engines and when Edelbrock says using this combination, your engine will make...***...they accept that as gospel. I had someone tell me my build would be well over 500hp and decided based on that information, I wasn't going to put it on the dyno. I have a good friend that called me all sorts of nice names in an effort to convince me that after all the work and money, a dyno break in and pulls was money well spent, he is right. He also helped me build the engine.
He also has a 69 Swinger with basically the same bottom end with a set of iron race ported modified big valve heads that runs 10.90 on E85 with no spray...so...I am fortunate he helped and I trusted his word.

Bottom line fellas, build what you can with the budget and base you have. I hope my information helps and welcome the advice and criticisms.

Yea, I'm sure you heard a good amount of colorful insults in your time in the force. My friends and family on the force have told me some stories. Most wouldn't beileve them there so crazy and absurd.

Enjoy your retirement!

Yea, I'm sure you heard a good amount of colorful insults in your time in the force. My friends and family on the force have told me some stories. Most wouldn't beileve them there so crazy and absurd.

Enjoy your retirement!

You are exactly right...most would think you are completely full of ****...but it is 100% true. You come from a law enforcement family...you get it.

I would love to enjoy my retirement...however....my retirement was forced since I broke my back on the job and am very disabled. Building this car has been challenging to say the least. I am very forturnate that I have a couple of awesome buddies that have stepped up and worked their asses off for my boys dream. I will post some before, during and it is going to paint in the next 2 weeks so will post some after. I will say, the factory color...B7 Jamaica Blue Poly is one of my favorite colors ever.

As stated in the post, the rotating assembly is Scat with a cast crank, forgged I beam rods and Forged I con pistons. My computer auto corrected the spelling to Skat.

As for the cam specs, my cam specs will be different than anyone's. If you go to Bullet Cams web site, and use their custom grind spec sheet, there is many different factors that they use to build the cam to include weight of car, type of transmission, rear gear, torque converter, whether you use power brakes and many other factors so my specific cam will vary compared to potentially your custom ground cam.

My cam:

CRA288/296H-08+4
231/239 [email protected]
.485/.503 Lift With 1.5
108/104LSA/CL

keeping in mind, yours may not be the same...depending on the information you send to Bullet.

Oh ****, your cam is JUNK. A steaming pile of monkey DUNG. On a 108 LSA it's a PIG, can't run power brakes, has no torque below 5000 RPM's and won't run power brakes. Damn dude, you left 50 HP and 100 lb ft of torque on the table. Should have used a 112 LSA. You should have known.

Ok, sorry for my outrageous and blatant sarcam. You sir, are the perfect example of why I say to ALWAYS use a custom cam. Always always always. You will get more power, more torque, over a broader RPM with better driveablity. Yours is a classic example of how to get a cam. I haven't picked a cam in years. I have a damn good idea what I want, but I still let the cam grinder pick my cam. And the cam always comes from a company that doesn't stock cams on the shelf.

Love the build and how you came up with a cam. You did it the RIGHT way.

I hope some one reads your posts and learn from them.

SHELF CAMS SUCK.

Oh ****, your cam is JUNK. A steaming pile of monkey DUNG. On a 108 LSA it's a PIG, can't run power brakes, has no torque below 5000 RPM's and won't run power brakes. Damn dude, you left 50 HP and 100 lb ft of torque on the table. Should have used a 112 LSA. You should have known.

Ok, sorry for my outrageous and blatant sarcam. You sir, are the perfect example of why I say to ALWAYS use a custom cam. Always always always. You will get more power, more torque, over a broader RPM with better driveablity. Yours is a classic example of how to get a cam. I haven't picked a cam in years. I have a damn good idea what I want, but I still let the cam grinder pick my cam. And the cam always comes from a company that doesn't stock cams on the shelf.

Love the build and how you came up with a cam. You did it the RIGHT way.

I hope some one reads your posts and learn from them.

SHELF CAMS SUCK.

Oh I have heard all that bullshit already. I just grin and tell them we will see when it is all out together and it his the street...praying to the snow and cold Gods...by May 1, 2017 .

I have seem so many cars that sound killer but run like ****. I would rather mine sounded like a tame and mild mannered 69 Dart...then punched them in the throat when it's all said and done. I am not saying it is a race car by any means, but it will run damn well in the street and be reliable to use as a summer daily.

By the way, after building many engines in my life...I will NEVER by an off the shelf cam again and will Bullet from now on going forward. Great company, great guys.

nice build and good numbers. very well thought out. old school, I like it and nothing wrong with that.
I'm about as old school it gets. after years of research and weighing various opinions and options.
I pulled the plug and purchased a set of aluminum heads to replace the old ported 915's on the bigblock.
I thought the 915's were the shiot, until comparing them to a low budget aluminum head ( stealth )
when comparing the ports, you can see a much higher horsepower level ability. out of the box !
I have to thank Jim( IQ52) for sharing his findings with the stealth head. I am going to have Jim look these heads over this winter.
he opened my eyes, maybe someone will open yours. JMO

nice build and good numbers. very well thought out. old school, I like it and nothing wrong with that.
I'm about as old school it gets. after years of research and weighing various opinions and options.
I pulled the plug and purchased a set of aluminum heads to replace the old ported 915's on the bigblock.
I thought the 915's were the shiot, until comparing them to a low budget aluminum head ( stealth )
when comparing the ports, you can see a much higher horsepower level ability. out of the box !
I have to thank Jim( IQ52) for sharing his findings with the stealth head. I am going to have Jim look these heads over this winter.
he opened my eyes, maybe someone will open yours. JMO

Fortunately, we have another 69 Dart GT that is being rotisserie restored for my 16 year old, thank you to his grand father. Never know...one of these pair of 69 Dart GTs may end up with a aluminum head stroked small block.

I was fortunate to find (2) 1969 Dart GTs...one in 2004 and one in 2005. Bought them both with the intentions of building them...one for each of my boys. That realization is playing itself out with me building my son that we lost and my ex father-in-law taking on the ridiculous expense of doing a factory restoration for my 16 year old as a graduation gift from high school.

The car I am building is being built and slightly modified by me and a couple of very good friends and painted by another friend that lives 190 miles east of me. Every component of the drive train has been rebuilt, it has been converted to 4 wheel manual disk brakes, converted to manual steering, the interior will be completely redone with Legendary Interior products, the correct B7 factory color where it was at one point sprayed B5 at some point in its life and with a few custom body modifications it will be very unique and will be the completion of the vision of my son...that is all that matters to me.

Thanks for your insight and I may try a set of Aluminum...some day...

you have great intentions and I applaud you . a build you can be proud of. finished in the memory of your son.
keep on keep'n on. take care Sir.

Nice write up....thank you!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff

Its nice to have informational posts on here....there isn't enough of them.
I have to be honest, I was a GM guy and had a rad 70 Cutlass S Holiday Fastback that was my dream ride. When we lost our boy...my 16 year and I decided it was time for me to sell my COMPLETELY built Cutty to fund the my boy's Dart. While I miss my Cutty...I cannot lie...I am glad I did to build his car like he wanted.

Now a committed Mopar guy, the other way to look at it...sacrificed a GM ride to resurrect a badass Mopar A Body.

RIP Cutty

FB_IMG_1438705835519.jpg

0803152020a.jpg

Great write up and TWO great points:

1) Build within YOUR budget for what YOU want.

2) Have a custom cam ground.

2a) Tim at Bullet is GREAT to deal with.

Great write up and TWO great points:

1) Build within YOUR budget for what YOU want.

2) Have a custom cam ground.

2a) Tim at Bullet is GREAT to deal with.

I couldn't agree more. Bullet is a grade A company. They are a small company with a family like atmosphere. When working with Tim, he will give you his personal cell and makes himself available to you any time you need anything. I had an issue with the machine shop when they broke one of my valve springs and they were a discontinued series. I had a very good friend who is a Mopar freak helping me build my engine. I was away dealing with some medical issues as I have a very serious injury from my days as a police officer that has required me to spend a significant amount of time in at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and my buddy was taking care of the valve spring issue. Tim spent 3 hours climbing in the attic of their parts warehouse until he found the right valve springs. That is customer service and that is exactly why I will never use another company but Bullet and they will do my custom cams from this day forward.

Bullet Cams is an amazing company that produces an amazing product.

I am going to post a couple pics of the car we are building...some before...during...presently and within a few weeks...some after paint...Those will be a ways out...but will be added.

first (2) are before

Next (2) are during my niece has helped me do a fair amount of work on her cousin's car

final (3) are now-ready for finish body work and paint.

10850142_577791876621_6662604189031470564_n(1).jpg

PART95145495247805595Dart-4(1).jpg

20160314_142744.jpg

20160917_190226.jpg

20160928_202632.jpg

20161101_163211.jpg

20161101_163223.jpg

applause!!!!!!!!!!!! must be terrible to lose a kid, hope I never know. my daughter is a cop in Tulsa, pray for her and all of them daily . GOD bless you, and Merry CRISTmas.

I see Bullet getting some spotlight in this thread..... It is the only Grind I would consider these days.... As said a Custom Grind is worth the extra money. They have done 3 cams for me and not one of these has been disappointing at all....

JW

applause!!!!!!!!!!!! must be terrible to lose a kid, hope I never know. my daughter is a cop in Tulsa, pray for her and all of them daily . GOD bless you, and Merry CRISTmas.

I too, will say a prayer for your daughter, and now my sister in blue. God bless her as she fights all the demons that go bump in the night.

Blessed are the peacekeepers for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

I have that tattooed on my body to remind me...we do or in my case did what most can't or woke so other can sleep peacefully at night

God bless your girl...my sister.

I see Bullet getting some spotlight in this thread..... It is the only Grind I would consider these days.... As said a Custom Grind is worth the extra money. They have done 3 cams for me and not one of these has been disappointing at all....

JW
Bullet deserves some love...they are the best in my book and will never...NEVER...use another company

My 408 is a very similar build. I'm running the late iron smog heads. I did some mild port work on them and put in a 2.02 intake valve. The static compression is 9.4 to 1. When it came time to pick a cam I too called Bullet. At first I was a little skeptical of their recommendation but I worked out to be just what I was looking for. The plan was for this to be a low RPM grunt motor and that's just what it is. It idles at 700 rpm and it sounds like a stocker.
What I've found to be true in many cases is that if you do a search for many of the off the shelf cams that are listed for Mopars you will find that they will take you to some sort of Chevy web page. That tells me that whatever the cam is it's not designed for the large diameter Mopar tappet. So you're giving up free inherent power just to save a few bucks. This is one reason why I feel that the purple stripe stuff is still good today in many combinations.

Ted

Bullet = Most well know and underrated.

Dus Ted, I have done exactly the same thing and by the time you get to the ".904 only" tappet size grinds, the cams are in the HUGE side.

-
Back