Quality Wire

-

dartman59

Reaction score
Hello FABO Friends--does anyone know of a good source for quality wire that can hold up to under-hood temps and conditions? I've had mixed results with the generic parts house stuff. Thanks.

Teflon coated is the best, but need good strippers to remove the insulation. Might find cheap on ebay from govt surplus, bankruptcies, etc.

I've been happy with everything I've used from them. Good luck.

Years ago I re-wired my old beater Landcruiser with heavier duty Belden

I wish I could remember the name. They make a heavy duty wire I guess made for trucks. You could literally take a piece of no14 and lay it across the battery. It would burn up inside, but the insulation would stay intact, thus not "welding" the harness together

I looked for it the other day for this thread, and could not pull it out

Like most of the construction materials and consumables in an automobile, wiring has to meet standards and specs.

Go with what the OEMs use. GPT is basic PVC auto wire. Cross-linked (GXL, SXL [hi temp]) insulation is best and a very small price premium over GPT. TXL is nice but not a necessity. Mostly used to save bulk in dash harnesses, etc. Teflon is only used to meet operating temp requirements in limited automotive applications, and in aircraft/missiles. (You don't want to be around if this stuff burns.) It is very thin and tough too, hence the special stripper required.

Battery cable has its own specs that follow primary wire pretty closely.

A lot of wire passed off as primary wire or automotive-grade has inferior standard PVC insulation. Don't spend the time and money to rewire with crap. Most of the quality automotive grade wire comes from a few manufacturers, Belden is a major supplier. Sources like Ron Francis, American Autowire, Painless, and web stores - all repackage someones bulk product at a massive markup. Buyer beware. Waytek, Mouser, and Terminal Supply sell to pro's and have good selections at trade prices. Generally 100' minimum.

Attachments

• ISIS rear panel 1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 117
-
Back