Question about carbs for tunnel rams

-
hey guys, wow thanks for all the advice, its much appreciated, sorry havent been back for a while, had christmas and new year, plus i started a new job blah blah.....anyways, update, i have purchased the heads, and should receive them in the next couple of days, i would like to put them on the motor and run my current intake / carb for a little while, them later this year i will do the tunnel ram conversion.....i will definately keep you all posted as to how it goes, thanks again!

40071149_2138928052808818_1237423882349051904_n.jpg

Been reading up on the TR5 a little, and according to some on Moparts racing site, a SBC street tunnel ram top will bolt onto the TR5 (even though they say that Edelbrock tells them it won't) and really improve the low RPM response over the bread box plenum. The center squirters would work well, but bear in mind all four barrels open at once and there are no power valves. Great for all out performance but burn a lot of fuel. For a little more reasonable streetability, smaller vacuum secondary carbs in the 450 cfm range could be used. Most recommended carburetors by Moparts users Holley 4150 Double Pumper Carburetors 0-4776C
Hi Garrett, is this the top you are talking about?
Edelbrock Street Tunnel Ram Tops 7032

Hi Garrett, is this the top you are talking about?
Edelbrock Street Tunnel Ram Tops 7032
According to some of the good folks at Moparts it is, it would make sense if they did interchange being it is cheaper to manufacture one top that fits multiple tunnel rams. If it were me, I would order a gasket for the top first (if available separately) just to confirm/double check before ordering the top. In the street tunnel ram/STR series at that time they made a SBC, SBM, and oval port BBC that I recall. I think all three design had interchangeable tops. I had a 1987 edelbrock catalog way back when, so I am a little fuzzy, but it seems like they offered a top for a single 4500 750 street dominator and the two four barrel top.

Last edited:
Edelbrock 6950 comes with 10 gaskets and replacement screws. This is a TR1Y top mated to a TR5 base.

image.jpg

Is there that much mis-match on the lower right port and rear bolt hole or does the gasket need flipped over?

They need a small trim. The gasket has a curve in it from handling it. The gaskets match the port reasonably.

Hello Joe, I must back up here a moment with much thanks to rumblefish. That top you posted from summit will not function on the TR5. The one he shows off of TR1Y is similar to top off of edelbrock 7110 SBC street tunnel ram. The one you show is off of one the modular intakes like the victor ram or the BBC street tunnel ram top, even though it is listed on the link you shared as SBC by Summit. Part number listing is 7032 for the correct top, my apologies for any inconvenience!

I just put it up for food for thought and what ever else may fit the intake since these gaskets were not advertised/sold under/for a MoPar part. They were under a Chevy intake part.

I just put it up for food for thought and what ever else may fit the intake since these gaskets were not advertised/sold under/for a MoPar part. They were under a Chevy intake part.
Excellent point Rob, he may be able to find a used top that works equally well without having to spend as much...

Perhaps his local AP store has a roll of make your own gasket? I have a roll in foam, cork and that heavy felt like material. Dark dark grey in color.

You guys are awesome! Once again a big thanks. Going to try to source a top here in Aus, if not i'll have to get one out of the good ol' USofA.

I ran a tunnel ram on a 1970 340 Duster back in the mid 70's. I always ran a pair of 1850 Holley 600's. Had good street manners and came alive when you stood on it. Was a 4 speed with 4.30 gears.

Hello Joe, I must back up here a moment with much thanks to rumblefish. That top you posted from summit will not function on the TR5. The one he shows off of TR1Y is similar to top off of edelbrock 7110 SBC street tunnel ram. The one you show is off of one the modular intakes like the victor ram or the BBC street tunnel ram top, even though it is listed on the link you shared as SBC by Summit. Part number listing is 7032 for the correct top, my apologies for any inconvenience!
i think summit are just using a generic pic, (i think) lol

I have a TR5 tunnel ram and that is the top I have that you posted pictured earlier.

Would you like to see the whole thing? I can do pictures tomorrow EZ enuff for you.

I have a TR5 tunnel ram and that is the top I have that you posted pictured earlier.

Would you like to see the whole thing? I can do pictures tomorrow EZ enuff for you.
Rumblefish that would be greatly appreciated thankyou!
Im just trying to work out the correct part number, from what i can gather, the one i need is #7032 (as my last pic posted). I just think that Summit use a generic pic for most of their ram tops. Also, Summit and Jegs dont help the situation by advertising that it suits a SBC on one side of their web page, then on the other side say it suits a BBC!

True! Most true. And a lot of techs don’t know any better unless they have been there & done that or know someone in that boat. It can be hard sometimes.

I’m about to start my shift now (12:30am-8:30am) so I’ll get it done in about 10 hours from now.

True! Most true. And a lot of techs don’t know any better unless they have been there & done that or know someone in that boat. It can be hard sometimes.

I’m about to start my shift now (12:30am-8:30am) so I’ll get it done in about 10 hours from now.
No problem, thanks again!

Intake ports vary. A lot. From .93 to 1.00 wide. But are close in height at 2.16.
The D ports top side on the lower half are all close at 1.77 X 1.91.
The top mating ports are the same but of course it is t a perfect fit. Though, much better than my M1 tunnel ram is.

Notice the top is drilled for sideways Holleys only. This is an old part. Check with Summit and ask for someone to eye ball the actual part for verification on what you see advertised.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pics, my ports are the same, width varies a lot but height mostly the same, at first when i saw pics of your top i thought it was a high one like mine but looking at it side on it's about half the height.
Good idea about summit, or any others in fact, will ask them to look at it.
Thanks again, will keep posted on how i go!

ozmoparjoe,
I did the exact same top(EDL-7032) on my tr5 as well and everything fit perfectly for me. I have not fired it up yet but as you can see from rumblefish360 posts it matches perfectly. I think you will be happy with it for your top. Just dont tell anyone its listed for the Chevrolet intakes!! For some reason they forget about mopars when it came to fitment for that top.
Rod

ozmoparjoe,
I did the exact same top(EDL-7032) on my tr5 as well and everything fit perfectly for me. I have not fired it up yet but as you can see from rumblefish360 posts it matches perfectly. I think you will be happy with it for your top. Just dont tell anyone its listed for the Chevrolet intakes!! For some reason they forget about mopars when it came to fitment for that top.
Rod
Awesome, thanks for the info Rod.

-
Back