Question about Edelbrock RPM Airgap - thermostat housing leak

-
This is what I'm running.

Mine is clear coated aluminum, but you can get them in different colors. Red, blue, aluminum, black. I think I paid around $80, but it was worth it.

CVR Thermostat Housings

View attachment 1715230646
What thermostat are you using with that housing? I have the same one but a Chrysler style thermostat does not fit it. I might need to use a chevy style, but those have a smaller O.D. And might fit the Chrysler manifold.

What thermostat are you using with that housing? I have the same one but a Chrysler style thermostat does not fit it. I might need to use a chevy style, but those have a smaller O.D. And might fit the Chrysler manifold.

Just a 195* high flow t-stat

i cant remember what brand, or even where I got it

I had a brand new RPM cross my bench recently. Comparing it to dozens before, it was fairly obvious they have a new casting form / mold. The "usual defects" were replaced with others, including a rather hefty one I already brought to the company's attention.

There was so much extra metal on the side of the runner that the bolt would never sit flush so it would never tighten up! Check this out ...

20180521_182020.jpg
20180521_182044.jpg

This is how much I had to clean it up until a bolt would sit flush.

20180522_133701.jpg

When looking at the intake from the front, it's the third bolt boss immediately behind the second runner on the passenger side.

20180530_151357-1.jpg

Hopefully yours was just the thermostat housing @MileHighDart.

If you have a Magnum style Edelbrock manifold like the OP showed in his photo, make sure you are selecting the Magnum style thermostat.
LA is larger in diameter than Magnum.

For all of you still running original or original style thermostat housings (one’s that don’t use o-rings) do yourself a HUGE favor and buy a silicone gasket. I dealt with my thermostat housing leaking on my Duster for quite awhile before I discovered these things! No more leaks, no more rtv mess and no more gay paper gaskets. And the best part? If you need to take the housing off for some reason, take it off, do what needs done, clean the silicone gasket and slap it back together for many more leak free miles!

P.s. I swear I have no affiliation with this seller and am making no money off this “ad”. Lol

MOPAR THERMOSTAT HOUSING GASKET (SILICONE) FOR V-8 ENGINES - Part # RG-53063 | eBay

I always hit the mating surface of the housing with sandpaper flat on a workbench top, then use a paper gasket and "permatex indian head" gasket shellac. I had a chromey o ringed T stat housing on a 440 years ago and the ****** leaked no matter what i did.. dear ole dad introduced me to indian head. We sanded the housing flat, used a new paper gasket and the indian head shellac on both sides. Torquing it down right away. No leaks. Years later i always keep a bottle of indian head in with my auto chemicals. This stuffs great for differential covers too, and unlike silicone it can be painted over.

-
Back