Question about the price of 340s

-
I never would have guessed that a group of mopar people would be bashing others mopars so much! I thought only ford and chevy guys bashed mopars,,but it seems some mopar ppl bash each other,,damn,,,,and i had always thought since there were relatively few of us, compared to the blue ovals and bowties,, that we always stuck together,,,

I wouldn't say bashing other mopars. It was just a question about why 340 blocks seem to be higher priced. The answer seems to be they are scarce and people want more money for them.

But I would have to agree that a 360 which is much more common, built with the same performance parts will make more power.

WE can bash each other. we just can't allow "outsiders" to bash any of us...lol

The 340 is the smallblock version of the 426 Hemi. It has a deservedly good reputation, and could only be had in performance cars. So the up-charge is few made, and the reputation. As others said - any engine can be built and marketed as a 340's equal. In many cases for a street car the resulting engine will probably be better than the 340 would be. But - if you have a 340 car, and it's got a 318 or 360, or a stroked based on those, it's already been diminished a little by the fact the 340's not between the fenders.
If it was me, I'd find and buy a 340. They are not impossible to find, but the initial buy will cost you more. Price of having a 340 car vs a slanty or 318 version.

A lot of the guys that lived through the late sixties don't care how much hp a 318 or 360 can make.
They want a 340 in their '69 Dart or Cuda...not a 318 or 360.

Hey guys I have been workin on my 70 Dart swinger 340. I have noticed people on moparts and ebay and criagslist selling 340 block or complete engines. My question is why are people asking so much for them. I bought a complete 440 engine for 1000 but see people asking for twice that much for a 340? Is it just that they are scarce?

Cause' some people think they can wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over charge for them,the last 2 340 blocks I bought cost me $400.00 each and are in excellent condition I've seen them advertised for upwards of $1500.00 just for a bare block..RIP OFF!!!

I can DEFINITELY agree that if its not a restoration, a 360, 440 etc can be built to be an awesome driver and racer,,,the 340's are more for purists who want to keep a car original or who like having a factory performance engine,,but geez,,things were tilting towards downright animosity,,i think hemi cars are priced high,,but im not gonna talk crap about them,,,anywho,,im right along with everyone else when it comes down to dollars per horsepower, a 360 is a perfect choice,,and thats coming from a 340 owner! I also tend to think 340's i see on ebay, etc,,are being sold by car ppl,,but not necessarily mopar ppl. They aquire a 340,,and automatically its priced as a rare historical artifact. Same as anything that fits a hemi car, but also fits a 318 car, is touted as a hemi car item to boost its perceived value.

Almost two years ago I had a guy who I looked at some parts he was selling ...cams and intakes, but did not buy anything call me new years day and asked if I wanted two standard bore 340 and a two 360...just bring a trailer and we can load them up...Free.....the 340 are 71 and 73 blocks....

What I don't understand is why someone would stroke a 340, If you are going to do that do it on a 360 or 318.

yeah, but what does that do to your top rpm, and overall durability of the engine, plus my point is you can probably get better results stroking a 360 and selling the 340. unless it is original to the car, but then you are risking making an original engine not rebuild-able.

What I don't understand is why someone would stroke a 340, If you are going to do that do it on a 360 or 318.

yeah, but what does that do to your top rpm, and overall durability of the engine, plus my point is you can probably get better results stroking a 360 and selling the 340. unless it is original to the car, but then you are risking making an original engine not rebuild-able.

are you assuming a 4" crank.I think there are better combinations
3.51,3.58.3.75 stroke all keep good rpm potential
stroking doesn't alter any original parts...

I never would have guessed that a group of mopar people would be bashing others mopars so much! I thought only ford and chevy guys bashed mopars,,but it seems some mopar ppl bash each other,,damn,,,,and i had always thought since there were relatively few of us, compared to the blue ovals and bowties,, that we always stuck together,,,
Actually Mopar guys have an us against the world mentality. The truth is that the rest of the hobby really could care less. GM and Ford have always had a rivalry and Mopars don't even exist to most of them. You can read on a GM/Ford forum and never even hear Mopars mentioned, but on a Mopar forum every other thread involves taking a jab at the other guys. It's kinda like when they find a soldier on a South Pacific island and he's still fighting WW2. To the rest of the car community Mopar died somewhere around '72. So the war has been over 45yrs now.

What tells it all in the 340/360 debate is in 1973 mopar canceled the 340 and manufactured the 360 for another 30 yrs....Even Mopar knew the 360 was the best choice....

I have (4) 340's and a 416. I also have some NOS 340 exhaust manifolds.
Its all great, but there is NOTHING wrong with a warmed up 318 or 360!
It's all MA MOPAR!

WE can bash each other. we just can't allow "outsiders" to bash any of us...lol

The 340 is the smallblock version of the 426 Hemi. It has a deservedly good reputation, and could only be had in performance cars. So the up-charge is few made, and the reputation. As others said - any engine can be built and marketed as a 340's equal. In many cases for a street car the resulting engine will probably be better than the 340 would be. But - if you have a 340 car, and it's got a 318 or 360, or a stroked based on those, it's already been diminished a little by the fact the 340's not between the fenders.
If it was me, I'd find and buy a 340. They are not impossible to find, but the initial buy will cost you more. Price of having a 340 car vs a slanty or 318 version.

A local cruiser here in the 80's nicknamed Hemi Greg used to refer to the 340 as the small block that didn't know it...

(He had a Hemi Charger...)

Larger bores for more cubes...

The 340 is .040" larger bore than 360... So you have .040" more wall to work with...

-
Back