Question bout headers

-

JohnnyJet

Reaction score
I have a 73 Duster with a 360 motor. I want to put headers on it but dont want to cut any sheetmetal. Any suggestions. is this possible?

With a small block engine, you shouldn't have to cut for any brand unless you go with special ones that go around the frame rails. Most of them I have seen do have 3 tubes go under the steering center link though.

I just installed a 360 in my 68 Barracuda and used Hedman headers. These do have 3 tubes that go under the center link on the drivers side but otherwise they fit great and didn't require any denting or bending to clear everything. The three seem to be tucked up nice and tight (hardly noticable from the front).

I do recomend that you purchase a set of header bolts with the reduced size hex. There are three holes (#1, #2 & #7 cyls) that a standard 1/2" head 5/16 bolt just won't fit. But with the reduced size head it was a piece of cake.

Everyone seems to like the TTI's but the Hedmans for $135 are a screaming deal in my book.

Here is what they look like.

Engine In #1.jpg

I ALSO RECOMMEND THE HEDDMAN HEDDES . tHATS WHAT i HAVE ON MY 68 CUDA AND THEY ARE THE BEST FITTING HEADER i HAVE EVER HAD

As long as you are using a small tube (1 5/8") header you will be fine. If you want to go to 1 7/8" or 2" headers then you will need to cut for one tube on either side to go outside the frame rail. You can see that here in this photo.

71620536.gif

I went with Hedmans as well, not an easy install, but nothing broke and they fit great! And the paint hasn't melted off or anything, which I fully expected. I would recommend them.

Thanks for the Thread :). I have some older unknown headers that are on the Dart Sport....well as some do they hung down too low and the Pass Side ones got dents in them now and they generaly hang too low. I will not spend a MINT on TTI's but the Headmans sound like a posiblilty....I was actually thinking of even going back to manifolds instead just to save the headache....

Can't imagine crashing the passenger side on the Headmans but you will need to be careful going over speed bumps with the drivers side since 3 tubes wrap under the center link.

I don't know if they have always been this way but the collectors do not have a welded on flange. The end of the collectorgot a rolled bulge in it that captures the collector flange and the adapter is got a cone shaped end that matches the rolled bulge. they fit together with no need of a gasket and no leak issues, plus it provides for a little more flexability during installation.

No need to cut anything with SB+headers, exept some competition models. Even with RB+2" I did NOT have to cut anything! No holes in fenders! Hedmans have been quite popular, fits quite nicely.

I saw some cermatec headers in Jeg's cataloge... Has any tries to install these in theier ride? I am concerned about the low hanging driver's side on som many of our a bodys. I am leaning towards the TTI tho

Jason

I don't know if they have always been this way but the collectors do not have a welded on flange. The end of the collectorgot a rolled bulge in it that captures the collector flange and the adapter is got a cone shaped end that matches the rolled bulge. they fit together with no need of a gasket and no leak issues, plus it provides for a little more flexability during installation.
No, they allways have not been that way. This is a standard feature on the Elites. I have a set of those on my 400 in a Magnum. Basicly, the Elites are standard small tube headers w/a thicker flange and pre coated.
I would prefur a set of tti's, but it is hard to justify the price difference over the Headmans. Performance wise, theres an edge, but not worth the benji's to me at this point.

headmans are a good cheap header and they fit pretty decent- pain to get in and I'd recomend a mini starter with them- pain in the back to raplace it! but now with my new engine I have a set of Hooker Super Comps- a little more money but all mandrel bends and almost equal length is worth it! they also have the front tube on drivers side removable to help ease installation, I'll get some picks once I finish ceramik koating them!

AdamR said:
Hooker Super Comps only work with manual steering.
isnt the #5116 a super comp header? i have an old set of those and they hade the #1 tuber removable and fited with power steering! pretty easy to instal!

The 1 5/8" primaries (5116) work with power steering, but the 1 7/8" primaries (5204) anre the only Super Comps that hooker says won't work with p/s on a A body big or small block!

Hows does everyone feel about doug thorley's? do they tuck up nice and tight? my buddes gonig to sell me a pair for $125 canadian is that pretty good or should i just get some other headers?

Thnx, Adam

I dont like the 1 5/8 tubes on the 340 and 360 engines. I believe they are to small for anything other than limited street duty. I always believed that the small street tubes made more h.p. and torque down in the lower ranges than the bigger tubes. Until I saw a dyno flog on a 360 that made more power and torque everywhere in the torque curve than the smaller tubes that was just taken off the engine for testing. I'm sure everyone has thier own thoughts on this. I wouldnt use anything smaller than 1 3/4 on a stout 360. Just my 2 cents..Terry B.

If you are not fussed with huge flow, I suggest to get a pair of block huggers. There is clearances everywhere!

-
Back