Question for PA folks: Thru-the-fender exhaust legal?

-

shadango

Reaction score
Seeing as big brother is horning more and more into our lives, sitting here considering looking at a car that has a 440 with thru-the fender headers....

Was looking to get some feedback from Pennsylvania folks to see if thi setup would be legal in PA for street use....

Anyone?

Thanks for the help

Dave

I've seen 1 or 2 cars with fenderwell headers, but I'm not sure if its definately legal or not. But they had to get it inspected somehow I would think

If you have antique tags, you don't need an inspection. So basiclly, it would never be an issue.

as long as the exhaust exits past the driving compartment you can rout the headers wherever you choose. I have seen several Dusters with fenderwell headers

Thanks guys. Good info.

I thought even antique plates had to get basic safety inspections?

I would probably be running standard plates.....I plan on driving what I get and dont want to be restricted with mileage...

Nope, antique's never need to be inspected. My brother in law is keeping the old expired (like 15 years ago) inspection sticker on his 70 Barracuda convertable hoping to get pulled over by a dumbass cop that dosent know any better.

Thanks guys. Good info.

I thought even antique plates had to get basic safety inspections?

I would probably be running standard plates.....I plan on driving what I get and dont want to be restricted with mileage...
If you think about it, any car that's going to have the fenderwells, probably is going to have an engine/gearing combo that's going to consume a lot of fuel - such as the BB you're looking at. Fuel prices are on the rise again, so even with best intentions, that car is NOT going to be your daily driver. So, though you are wanting to stay w/ the standard plates, you're wasting your time - you're not going to be able to drive the car as much as you want to. And, not that I'm encouraging you to do anything deceptive in the state of PA:snakeman:, but considering that classic/antique tags need no visual inspection, who's to know how many mile you're driving anyway? Although they do have restrictions on driving at night, but there is some leeway in the rule books that says it's ok if you're commin home from a show or event.

Go w/ the antique, and don't worry about the restictions.

My Charger has antiques tags, I've never given mileage a thought and drive it whenever I want to - including many times at night - Cops don't bother w/ you unless you're driving it like a jacka$$.

If you think about it, any car that's going to have the fenderwells, probably is going to have an engine/gearing combo that's going to consume a lot of fuel - such as the BB you're looking at. Fuel prices are on the rise again, so even with best intentions, that car is NOT going to be your daily driver. So, though you are wanting to stay w/ the standard plates, you're wasting your time - you're not going to be able to drive the car as much as you want to. And, not that I'm encouraging you to do anything deceptive in the state of PA:snakeman:, but considering that classic/antique tags need no visual inspection, who's to know how many mile you're driving anyway? Although they do have restrictions on driving at night, but there is some leeway in the rule books that says it's ok if you're commin home from a show or event.

Go w/ the antique, and don't worry about the restictions.

My Charger has antiques tags, I've never given mileage a thought and drive it whenever I want to - including many times at night - Cops don't bother w/ you unless you're driving it like a jacka$$.

You will be fine with the fenderwells........but, with all the great headers available why would anyone cut the inner fenders? Buy it, fix the inner fenders and call TTI !!!

Good point Mark. Unless theres a specific look to the cars build. I'd run the tti's.

For the record, I just looked up PA classic/antique code - it actually DOESN'T have a mileage or night-time restriction. It just says it can't be usd comercially, and can only be driven for TRANSPORTATION no more than once per week. However, you can drive to shows and events every day if you want to. So basically, you can drive it for fun whenever you want, and nobody will know the difference.

Just for the record, I thought 2400 miles a year was the limit on a Antique plate. Also if a car is not stock, they do have the right to take antique plate away. Just do cause any problems on the street.

Just for the record, I thought 2400 miles a year was the limit on a Antique plate. Also if a car is not stock, they do have the right to take antique plate away. Just do cause any problems on the street.
No milage limit for classic or antique tagged cars - in addtion, the code states: "...maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformance with manufacturer specifications." That means it can be modified, but not such that it's not recognizable as the original design. So you can swap engines, built it up to 1000hp, change tail lights, remove molding, etc. But if you are running a tube-chassis car w/ a lexan (or whatever it is) funny car one-peice body, I'm pretty sure they would consider that not in conformance w/ the manufacturer.

Here's the actual PA Vehicle Code:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter67/chap67toc.html

Edit: BTW, the ONLY time you would have a night-time restriction, is on an antique-tagged vehicle that does not conform to PA lighting requirement laws - which is legal on an antique car, but the headlights have to be present.

No milage limit for classic or antique tagged cars - in addtion, the code states: "...maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformance with manufacturer specifications." That means it can be modified, but not such that it's not recognizable as the original design. So you can swap engines, built it up to 1000hp, change tail lights, remove molding, etc. But if you are running a tube-chassis car w/ a lexan (or whatever it is) funny car one-peice body, I'm pretty sure they would consider that not in conformance w/ the manufacturer.

Here's the actual PA Vehicle Code:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter67/chap67toc.html

This is all great info...thanks!

I had looked into getting classic plates for my 92 Dakota but seesm like all that does is cost you $$ and get you out of emissions, which I already am exempt from since I drive the truck maybe 100 miles a year...LOL

As one person said the headers can exit through the fenders but new laws in pa the exhaust must exit from under the car or truck.Even the bed of the truck. That means no more dump exhaust at the rear.You can still have side exhaust but it must be behind the last door of the car.If no one will inspect it I will. Ps welcome to the honda club I have a 2003 VTX 1800C.

Thanks for the info!

Where is Malvern?

I love my VTX...just got done reinstalling my wheels after having them Permastar treated (chromed/powder coated)

I rode to work today.....20 degrees now but almost 40 by the time I leave...woohoo a heat wave! LOL :cheers:

It is 5 miles west of valley forge or 20 miles west of philadelphia{suburbs}

I baught my duster out of state transfered the title and got antique plates on the same day at the main office in harrisburg. It came from a state with no inspection and NEVER has been seen by a PA state inspection state.....and never will be :)

I'm so glad that I live in Florida.
My older brother who still lives in Ohio could not get plates for his Audi because it could not pass the dynamometer emissions test.
Why??? .....because the dyno only had 1 set of rollers and he drove a Audi Quattro. It only took 4 months to get that mess straightened out. It is nice to have a friend that owns a used car lot. Dealer tags work great.

Nope, antique's never need to be inspected. My brother in law is keeping the old expired (like 15 years ago) inspection sticker on his 70 Barracuda convertable hoping to get pulled over by a dumbass cop that dosent know any better.

With all due respect, and at the risk of hijacking this thread, why would you want to get pulled over? For one thing, that "dumbass cop" might have your brother-in-law pulled over while he or she could be helping someone with a legitimate need. For another, the side of a road is a very dangerous place. It may appear mundane, but that officer doesn't to be standing on the side of the highway for no good reason.

Part of the problem getting pulled over by that "dumbass cop" is that now he can look for any little thing he finds wrong and to save face he probably will find something wrong. I tried last year to get a classic tag for my wife Mustang GT and because it has a rust spot on the back deck Pa would not issue a classic tag. I had to send in 35mm pictures, they wouldn't accept digital pictures printed off the computer cause they said you may have altered them..

Part of the problem getting pulled over by that "dumbass cop" is that now he can look for any little thing he finds wrong and to save face he probably will find something wrong. I tried last year to get a classic tag for my wife Mustang GT and because it has a rust spot on the back deck Pa would not issue a classic tag. I had to send in 35mm pictures, they wouldn't accept digital pictures printed off the computer cause they said you may have altered them..

Honestly its just easier to drive to harrisburg and go to the office directly. I did that, took in my printed digital pictures, the lady looked at them for maybe 5 seconds total for all 4 pictures. Gave me a number and told me to go stand in the other line. That other line being the line you go to for your new plate :) It might be a pain to do it this way but i know people that had horror stories with sending pictures back and fourth and couldn't get a plate. They go to the office and bam in and out in 15 minutes (depending how busy they are). Plus it wasn't a big deal becuase I know people down that way so I had people to see and places to stay. You could always do it when you go to a show in carlise, its only 20 minutes or so from carlise to downtown harrisburg.

I get into H-Burg quite a bit..typically driving a truck though so parking downtown is my issue. I was going through a tag service, and your right, they are overly picky. I was going for the classic plate so I could get a reduced rate on insurance since we only drive the car a couple hundred miles a year. My agent at the time told me I couldn't get lower cost insurance on a vehicle with a regular tag. Turned out I switched insurance agents, not companies, and all of a sudden I could get the lower cost insurance with a regular tag. I had to sign a paper stating I had other vehicle to drive on a regular basis. Really all they had to do was look at what I have insured and they could see I had other vehicles insured for daily use.

-
Back