Question For The Experts

-

bwillaub

Reaction score
I'm looking to test run my 440 before installing. Anyone have a wiring diagram on how it needs to be wired in order to do this? I've watched several videos on you tube but they are vague in details. Thanks.

Depends on a few things. If you are on a test stand you probably don't need to wire anything since the ignition system is usually mounted on the control panel. If you are building your own test stand then you'll need to decide which ignition system to use and then wire it according to the instructions. You may or may not want to run an alternator. The starter wiring depends on which starter you use and how you want to trigger it. So the answer is "it all depends".

Depends on a few things. If you are on a test stand you probably don't need to wire anything since the ignition system is usually mounted on the control panel. If you are building your own test stand then you'll need to decide which ignition system to use and then wire it according to the instructions. You may or may not want to run an alternator. The starter wiring depends on which starter you use and how you want to trigger it. So the answer is "it all depends".

Oh come on, I can answer his question with only the info he gave.

Ground the block and power the coil, ignition and starter.:D

upload_2018-8-26_17-36-51.jpeg
What sort of ignition do you have available?

You don't even need a fuel pump if you can figure a way to safely elevate the fuel supply........gravity feed to the carb.

Breaker points makes things simple. Scare yourself up a ballast resistor if you are going to run it for more than a minute or two. It can be a dual resistor, you will only use 2 terminals. Go to MyMopar and look up the diagram, as the resistor is different on each side, only one side feeds the coil.

Hook battery.....resistor.......coil +........coil minus to distributor.

Hook jumpers/ cables from block and starter to battery. Run a jumper wire from the ballast to the battery PLUS

Use a screwdriver or jumper lead to jumper from the "big" battery terminal on starter solenoid to the small solenoid terminal and it "runs".........or at least cranks

I have run engines hanging from chains on the hoist, and ran a Magnum with a home made carb adapter on an engine stand with blocks under the pan

34nf6l0.jpg

LMFAO Anybody figure out what this is?

img_1036-jpg.jpg

My "go to" for test / emergency ignition, is either breaker points or an HEI module "in a box"

This hooks to a Mopar breakerless (magnetic) distributor and already has an old Mopar coil, and needs no ballast

hwlcfa.jpg

4pin-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a dual ballast, this is from MyMopar

Ballast_Resistors.png

Notice one side of the dual is same as the single. The "U" at the left end is your index, and that is why it is there.........to identify which half is which

On a side note, the coil / resistor wiring for the original Mopar ignition DID NOT CHANGE from points wiring. This means (I realize you have Mallory) that if the Mopar breakerless quits, and you have a points distributor, you can yank the Mopar breakerless, stuff the points distro in there, and hook it back up to the coil. Unplug the ECU and be on your way..........assuming the ballast/ wiring/ coil is OK

You don't even need a fuel pump if you can figure a way to safely elevate the fuel supply........gravity feed to the carb.

Breaker points makes things simple. Scare yourself up a ballast resistor if you are going to run it for more than a minute or two. It can be a dual resistor, you will only use 2 terminals. Go to MyMopar and look up the diagram, as the resistor is different on each side, only one side feeds the coil.

Hook battery.....resistor.......coil +........coil minus to distributor.

Hook jumpers/ cables from block and starter to battery. Run a jumper wire from the ballast to the battery PLUS

Use a screwdriver or jumper lead to jumper from the "big" battery terminal on starter solenoid to the small solenoid terminal and it "runs".........or at least cranks

I have run engines hanging from chains on the hoist, and ran a Magnum with a home made carb adapter on an engine stand with blocks under the pan

View attachment 1715216273

LMFAO Anybody figure out what this is?

View attachment 1715216274

My "go to" for test / emergency ignition, is either breaker points or an HEI module "in a box"

This hooks to a Mopar breakerless (magnetic) distributor and already has an old Mopar coil, and needs no ballast

View attachment 1715216275

View attachment 1715216276
I used your “emergency ignition” design for a year and a half on my race car. Worked perfectly.

-
Back