Question for those that swapped a big block into their A body.

-

dart_68

Reaction score
What were the biggest things/problems you had to overcome to do the swap? I'm up in the air as to whether I want to do the swap (got a line on a 400) or go with a 360.

No issues to speak of but you need to budget for motor mounts, headers, maybe a 26" radiator. RB is a tighter fit for sure but lots of guys do it.

Biggest problem is I can't stop grinning ever time I drive it.

Cayuga Race 2.jpg

Part of this swap should include Brakes that can actually stop the car, and beefier rearend.
At the least........even with good running stock BB.

Part of this swap should include Brakes that can actually stop the car, and beefier rearend.
At the least........even with good running stock BB.
i'd say those should be a consideration on any and all A bodies........ stock or not

I'm up in the air as to whether I....................

On the subject of "up in the air" I went to youtube and watched the 440 Darts and Dusters. Very few of them were pulling the wheels like the small blocks that were running comparable ETs. That would be the deciding factor for me. It can be done, but it's lotsa more money.

The swap itself was easy with the Schumacher swap mounts for a 400 into a '71, /6 Duster. Engine and trans were a snap to install. I shortened the OE driveshaft for the longer 727 & 8-3/4 rear end.

Upgrade the following parts

Rear end, 8-1/4 street, 8-3/4 strong street strip, DANA for the superior end all. (Well, 99% of all!;) )

Brakes! Disc up front is huge!

Radiator, a big help! The /6 is really only good to a stock 318 & not much more.

On the subject of "up in the air" I went to youtube and watched the 440 Darts and Dusters. Very few of them were pulling the wheels like the small blocks that were running comparable ETs. That would be the deciding factor for me. It can be done, but it's lotsa more money.
Duh.... most of them weigh more than a small block. Engine alone by roughly 100 pounds. I say most because there is cases where the big block guys running tons of aluminum can get lighter than a small block. But also let's keep in mind most small block drag cars are fully built aluminum headed, intakes etc to get to those power levels that a big block can get to with decent iron heads.

on a 67-up its really an easy swap. biggest decision was what headers to run..

as far as brakes,suspension and rear end i'd hope that was common sense.

Last edited:
Its been done so many times there's really no issues anymore. The conversion mounts really help the cause, just a little K-frame trimming needed. FYI, you can use low buck B body headers on a B motor with minor dinging with manual steering. Intended use of car and wow appeal might help you decide.

Duh.... most of them weigh more than a small block. Engine alone by roughly 100 pounds. I say most because there is cases where the big block guys running tons of aluminum can get lighter than a small block.

I'm well aware of that. What's the point of a big block if you can't generate the torque required to lift a hundred more pounds?

I didnt personally do this swap, but helped out in the wrenching on one. From what I remember, and this was a /6 car so everything was swapped, exhaust has to be considered, the car we did had fenderwell headers, so the inner fenderwell had to be modified, there was no power steering, it was manual. I think the 383 GTS may have been the same? (No room for PS pump) As previously mentioned, the radiator, etc. The car I was involved with or witnessed, was set up for racing so it had the solid engine plate motor mount setup. Today, there may be direct swap kits for this swap I would think. Its all $$$$ cant take it with you ;).

I'm well aware of that. What's the point of a big block if you can't generate the torque required to lift a hundred more pounds?
Good grief buddy, are you really gonna imply a big block doesn't make more torque than a small block on a comparable build?
You might want to stay in N&P where you can spread your wisdom there...

Good grief buddy, are you really gonna imply a big block doesn't make more torque than a small block on a comparable build?
Let alone the resale on someone interested in that additional power alone not accompanied by stock applications. Without the Xtra $ numbers car
that would be lit up anyway.......Ha.

Nothing to bad about it, do yourself a favor when it is out, do a blower motor mod, the fan motor hits some valve covers.

Go re read what I stated.

Stock were tight but had sealing issues then went cast and had to do it, turned out the head casting had a high spot!:mob:

Last edited:
Dollar for Dollar. you will be light years ahead in power level with a B Wedge swap.
The big issue is weather to stroke or not.

Stroke a big block is the way to go. You will never regret it. Subframe connectors are a must. As others stated conversion mounts make it easy.

Nothing difficult, except getting the paint done so that I can start assembling the car...

-
Back