Question for those that swapped a big block into their A body.

-
Bigblock.the sky is the limit way more options.ive looked through performance parts for both.smallblocks are cool but to common.if my car is gonna be fast might as well be bigblock. Smallblock go fast parts are pretty exspensive.

I'm well aware of that. What's the point of a big block if you can't generate the torque required to lift a hundred more pounds?

That's the problem when you see hp and torque as 2 different things.

If the small block and big block are similarly fast then there around the same hp.
The main difference is the bigger one is gonna need less gear, stall and be more streetable.

To me 500-550 hp or less small block or more big block. But it's even worth going big block for even mild performance just for the need for a lot less gear.
440 with 500 lbs-ft x 3.23 gears = 1615 lbs-ft
360 with 400 lbs-ft x 4.10 gears = 1640 lbs-ft
So both would be putting the same torque to the ground.

In 1980 I helped my brother put a 383 in his Duster. We followed the direct connection racing manual as I remember. We did everything. K member swap, disc brakes, heavy duty torsion bars, subframe connectors, heavy duty racing springs moved inboard, 8 3/4 Sure Grip, Hooker fenderwell headers, you name it. After he got too many tickets to drive, when I had a choice of my Charger or that Duster, took his car every time. Haha.

Last edited:
Gathering the parts to swap in the 383 this winter. Plan on using the Headman B Body Headers.
I am going to shorten the steering column tube and I am researching which steering universal joint to use. The price varies from the beautiful Flaming River @ $237.00 The Borgeson,$80 - $130 or the Sweet Manufactured from Speedway Motors @ $50.00.
By the time I get these to Canada they will be 50% more, so I would like to use one of the lower priced ones.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Gathering the parts to swap in the 383 this winter. Plan on using the Headman B Body Headers.
I am going to shorten the steering column tube and I am researching which steering universal joint to use. The price varies from the beautiful Flaming River @ $237.00 The Borgeson,$80 - $130 or the Sweet Manufactured from Speedway Motors @ $50.00.
By the time I get these to Canada they will be 50% more, so I would like to use one of the lower priced ones.
View attachment 1715092702
View attachment 1715092703

View attachment 1715092704

I got my steering u-joint from Grainger, I believe for less than $50.
Just had to cut one side down a smidge for length restraint.

For those with more experience then me, will a 727 from any body fit into an A body? I know about the different tailshafts for a A833.
I'm a bit hesitant to keep my A904 behind a 383.

For those with more experience then me, will a 727 from any body fit into an A body? I know about the different tailshafts for a A833.

To the best of my knowledge, an a904 won't mount to a B or RB block. Different bolt pattern and a different starter location. I recall reading something about a company that makes a mounting setup for the a904 to B/RB mate up. The big question for that is what is the cost:benefit for that...

Well the 904 also needs rebuilt so the only thing i really stand to lose is the gas to go pick up the 727. I'm only concerned about fitment issues if that makes sense. My 383 came with a flex plate and bellhousing. The 727 i saw was for a small block so i also don't know if i'll need a different torque converter. Were there different 727's for A, B, C bodies etc?

904 wont bolt to a big block with out a adapter plate..

yes any big block 727 car or truck will bolt right into the abody except for the short tail shaft ones some trucks and rv's had.

Last edited:
I purchased the 72 Swinger without an engine/ transmission.
I knew I wanted over drive (518)
was going to turbo a low comp 340 I got. found some manifolds.
started searching for turbo etc.
sat on the back burner for awhile.

decided to go big block, took the 540 out of the Satellite, had a 518, from another project with a jw bell on it.
knowing the exhaust issues, wanted to use the max wedge manifolds, had to swap sides to get the Best fit, still required moving the master cylinder over a few inches, and modding the passengers side inner fender.

002.JPG

026.JPG

SAM_3753.JPG

-
Back