Question on changing SB mechanical fuel pump

-

yarcraft91

Reaction score
I'm about to replace the stock mechanical fuel pump on my 1967 Barracuda, last replaced in 1978. Dumb question...

So, the fuel tank is full. When I cut the rubber fuel line feeding the pump, are the fuel tank contents going run out on the floor or is the pump mounted higher than the max fluid level in the tank? Should I run the tank down below half-full before doing this job? Factory manual does not provide a procedure for changing the pump, would prefer NOT to wash garage floor with gasoline.

I had a bolt ready to stick into the rubber hose when I took it off, although I only had a small amount of gas come out so the bolt might not have been necessary, it was still good insurance.

If everything is OK, it will pour out of the hose. If possible, do the job when the tank is low. To stop the flow you can:
1. plug hose w/ a bolt
2. slip a new hose over tube and route it high.
3. after #2, blow into hose to force gas back into tank
4. first remove hose back at sender, if <1/4 tank no gas should flow out. good idea to change that hose every 10 yrs anyway.

For new hose, use only "fuel injection" type, not the old carb type, since many of the later can't handle alcohol and are easier to collapse and starve the engine.

I get by by using long nose vise-grips, and adjust them to about 3/16" open, then clamp the hose. Never had a problem with a leak or cutting the hose.

I just did the same thing a few weeks ago, on my 1966 that was last changed about 1978. The pump was OK, it was the carb that leaked after being parked. It was a good idea to change it just due to age.

OK- sounds like I'll want to drive enough to use 3/4 of a tank-full before I start this job. That hose between the fuel line and pump inlet is the last piece of old fuel hose on the car- original, I expect. It will be replaced as part of this job. I'll use the same high-quality Gates-brand fuel hose I used when replacing the fuel gauge sender last year.

Side note: the original fuel hoses on this car were/are in remarkably good condition. They are flexible, not gummy, hard or collapsing, even though the car has been driven on ethanol-blend fuels for 20+ years.

Well, happy to report the job is done. Most of the job is about as simple as it gets, other than realizing my neighbor with flare wrenches was unavailable for 8 weeks, so off to Sears for a set that cost more than the pump. :roll:

I found the original inlet factory fuel hose was pushed at least 4" onto the fuel line and clamped at the end of the hose, so reasoned that the old hose could be split with a knife, peeled back from the open end of the fuel line and the new hose pushed on before more than a few teaspoons of fuel leaked out. After the fact, I could cut off the loose piece of old hose and deal with removing the stub of the old hose and the factory clamp- if I felt like it. Sure enough.

-
Back