Questions about a 360 swap.

-

JCMini30

Reaction score
So the 318 has a noise from the bottom end that's going to require a teardown. Thinking its time for the 360 upgrade.

My junkyard guy has a 360 from a late seventies motorhome. Apparently only has 60K on it but I'm going to go through it anyway. Anyone here know of any problems I might hit using the RV motor? Machine shop guy said some used a better crank so that might be good. May go pick it this afternoon so any feedback is appreciated. He quoted me $200 to $250 on the phone.

Thanks,

Grab the converter with it if you can so this will save a big headache later.

The 318 is internal balance and the 360 is a external balance.

Other than that the motor, mount on the driverside will need to be fiddled with a tad. It really is a no issue, just use washers or a nut to take up the space difference in the mount location /spacing.

This is a easy swap. Have fun.

Might need a 4 bbl intake and carb and cam change, that's about it. It doesn't hurt to ask, but see if your junkyard has a low mileage late 80s-early 90s 360 LA roller block. Might cost about the same but it's a much better starting point.

LOL, yea, this is actually the perfect time for a cam, timing chain and 4bbl part swap.

Grab the converter with it if you can

Bear in mind that your 318 probably has an A-904 transmission, the motorhome probably has a 727, the torque converter won't fit

Also, I don't know if motorhomes ever used lockup converters, if so, those won't fit "regular" Torqueflites even if the same model

You do need to address the weight problem. In my opinion the easies way is to buy a purpose built aftermarket flex plate, properly weighted, to match the 360 to an unweighted converter.

You'll also have to scare up a passenger car 360 oil pan as your 318 pan won't fit, and the motorhome pan is undoubtedly rear sump

ALSO make sure this 360 is not a "heavy truck" engine, I.E. a "360-3". These typically had different heads and at least some / all of them used "Ford style" (18mm) spark plugs.

Yea I will be moving my 4bbl eidelbrok intake and carb over. Will also install a new cam and timing set. Thanks for the tip on the converter.

So the 318 has a noise from the bottom end that's going to require a teardown. Thinking its time for the 360 upgrade.

My junkyard guy has a 360 from a late seventies motorhome. Apparently only has 60K on it but I'm going to go through it anyway. Anyone here know of any problems I might hit using the RV motor? Machine shop guy said some used a better crank so that might be good. May go pick it this afternoon so any feedback is appreciated. He quoted me $200 to $250 on the phone.

Thanks,

cranks are all the same...cast.

as noted...727 and 904 converters do not interchange...just use the b&m 360 externally balanced flexplate for a 904 and use your trans and converter....

make sure you get the harmonic balancer with the 360...as it is externally balanced also...

cranks are all the same...cast.

as noted...727 and 904 converters do not interchange...just use the b&m 360 externally balanced flexplate for a 904 and use your trans and converter....

make sure you get the harmonic balancer with the 360...as it is externally balanced also...

Thanks, this is probably what I will do. So quick question, which transmission is better, the 727 or 904? I have the 904. Should I try and get a 727 while I'm at it?

the 904 takes less HP to power which means more HP to the ground. However, the 904 needs to be built up internally to hold any real power.

You'll also have to scare up a passenger car 360 oil pan as your 318 pan won't fit, and the motorhome pan is undoubtedly rear sump

What he said...

I picked up a 360 pan from Summit on sale for like $45...fits good, irridited finish with drain plug. Good luck!

-
Back