Questions for those who switched to EFI...

-

340_833 dart

Reaction score
The first, most obvious, question is, "Is it worth the money?"
I know not to expect a noticeable increase in power but, does the driveability improve enough to make the conversion worth it?
I've been thinking about switching to the FAST EZ-EFI set up.
We have some wild weather swings in northwest Arkansas. During the summer, it gets to the high 90s and low 100s, with humidity to match. During the winter, it is not unusual for us to see sub-zero temperatures in January and February.
I've got the Holley 750 on my 340 dialed in pretty well for when the temperatures are between 50 and 85. But, on either side of that range, the car is a bit finicky.
In the hot months, the gas evaporates out of the carb in just a couple of days, meaning I have to crank longer than I'd like to just to get it to fire.
If the EFI means quicker starts and better overall performance I might have to start saving my pennies.
Is EFI a worthwhile conversion?

Thanks.

I have had efi for 18 years and would never go back to a carb motor. I have a 360 Magnum in my 64 dart factory one and no matter the weather it always starts and it ran a 13.76 in quarter at speed world when I first got it running 518 overdrive trans and 3.91 suregrip in my 64 dart one of the first fuel injected mopars that was 1993 and I had to make everthing nobody knew what I was talking about. I have done 2 others but have all been factory stuff no after market efis. My Car was feature in HOT ROD Maz in 1999 they was really suprize how well the car run on the HOT ROD Power tour in 2000 from Ca. to Fl. never had one bit of problem and avg 22 miles per gal.

Earl

There are a few members here that are running that system, and a guy i work with... I havent heard a bad thing yet, starts, drivability, and power... I have read a ton of reviews and articles and everyone sounds great. I was gonna do it but went hemi swap instead. I will be using fasts hemi kit, also with the self tuning option. Dont have it going yet, but i am sure it will be worth the work/money...

I've not installed it yet, but I just got my 408 stroker out of the engine shop. I'm installing FAST EZ-EFI with direct port injection. with direct port, the injector literally sprays fuel on top of the intake valve. I'm using a Torker II intake and 42lb injectors. My expectations are good cold starting, excellent all weather drivability, improved reliability, and longer engine life. Ever wonder why newer engines have such improved life? Improved engineering, sure, but you also no longer have a carb gushing fuel into your engine and washing the oil off the cylinder walls. I'm not a carb guy, so spending a extra $$ to have the fuel system rock solid is worth it to me.

I'm running Projection II and I like the concept of tuning on the lap top. It installs easy and is simple. I found the factory support a bit cheezy. I even went to Performance Products to have the truck "OEM Tunned". There was no one here in Vancouver to help. The place is located in the back woods of an industreal area where you best understand spanish. Jassion (no longer there) tried his best to help me road tune the truck and we got it running much better. I sold the green truck and kept the 408 stroker and EFI. It's going into my 69 Valiant with a Powerdyne blower. I'll keep site up dated under, "Tunning the Valiant" Cheers

I'm running a TBI setup from a dodge 1/2 I know its not anywheres close to MPFI but from the increase in drivablitity and milage (and power!) I wouldn't think twice about going with a MPFI kit (or if your skilled go with factory magnum wiring)

I'm running a TBI setup from a dodge 1/2 I know its not anywheres close to MPFI but from the increase in drivablitity and milage (and power!) I wouldn't think twice about going with a MPFI kit (or if your skilled go with factory magnum wiring)
Good advice. If I had to start all over again I would stay stock & chip the EFI or BG or Dominator carb. KISS is the most economical way.

I have had a Holley Projection on my 65 Newport 383 since 1996. It is a bit quirky, but still better than the carb was. I swapped to the later Delphi throttle body, but it seems those injectors are a bit too small. Still, I don't recommend it due to cost/benefit.

I have a Commander 950 I will try later on the Newport, Dart, and/or Valiant. It is much better with more sensors (manifold pressure, intake temperature), a programmable map, plus can control spark timing via GM HEI module, plus a wideband O2 add-on. I also have another ECU without harness, so maybe 2 cars eventually. I hope someday to adapt a Magnum MPFI manifold to the SB. Some use Megasquirt, but it is a lot more roll-your-own.

And I've posted this previously, there seems to be a number of people successfully grafting Ferd EFI stuff to other--Mopar engines. There is "opinion" that the Ferd system is sort'ha more "self adjusting" to hot cams, etc.

And I've posted this previously, there seems to be a number of people successfully grafting Ferd EFI stuff to other--Mopar engines. There is "opinion" that the Ferd system is sort'ha more "self adjusting" to hot cams, etc.

but ferd stuff is more complicated to wire up

but ferd stuff is more complicated to wire up
All you have to do is follow the schematic. Lot of info can be found http://oldfuelinjection.com/ , looking for a kit with a ford ecu might want to look at http://www.massfloefi.com/ . I have converted a few vehicles to efi, they were Ford Rangers. Very simple to figure out. If you go with something you can tune, like a Mega Squirt, BigStuff3 or F.A.S.T you just might be able to still drive your car beond just to the store & back. Rich at http://www.fastmanefi.com/TheMPGPage.htm has gotten 14 mpg from his 725 hp 572" HEMI.....Sure it will cost some $$ to do it, but tinkering with a carb, at least for me, gets old after a while. One of my bikes I had years ago had 60-70 hours of tuning into it. Ran fantastic as long as I stayed close to the desert floor of AZ. Went up north with it and it would barely idle, made 0 power and just was not any fun. Next bike was EFI, ran the same in the desert as it did in the woods of northern AZ.....

This is thedirection I'm going because I have the parts kicking around................

Attachments

• DSC00005.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC00004.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 327
This is thedirection I'm going because I have the parts kicking around................

heres something I have always wondered, when your into the boost how does that work for the vacuum booster? or things that require vacuum like the distributor

I purchased and installed a Howell Fuel Injection system on my 89 Wrangler 5.8 six and it worked great after tracking down a short in the Howell wiring harness. More power and increased fuel mileage was great! Would do it again!

Some say you cant beat a carb for raw power numbers, but EFI is great when you want to start the motor....in any weather.. with 1 crank of the motor. Ford EEC4 cant be harder to wire than anything else, my Edelbrock has only 5 sensors: intake temp (in air cleaner) TPS (in throttle body) MAP (in TB too) Coolant temp (in water temp sender) and cam position sensor (built into special distributor, but Chevy kits include a shutter wheel that you put into your HEI dizzy, thats all it takes in some form or another. Then of course you have the IAC in the TB, fuel return line and EFI pump, but thats about all you need for the ECU to get 'er done. One downfall, if it doesnt start, your hosed on the side of the road if you are not fully versed in electrical trouble shooting.

I havent had mine long enough to see what it will do...put it on a 416...it runs off the FAST SYSTEM...we cranked it over yesterday to make sure everything is good...power...spark...fuel pressue and NO leaks...so this weekend we fire her up....wont have much to say on running till springs since we have snow and cant drive it...but will tell ya after weekend how she tunes...
the EFI I have is eye candy and will give me throttle responce over carb and will or should only have to tune once and then just turn key and go....

and cost...to be honest..it was worth the BIG BUCKS so far..everyone that sees it..just drops jaw or gets wood,,,lol

wayne

:burnout:

Attachments

• photo (9).jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 250
  • photo (26).jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 266
-
Back