Quietest performance muffler

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I`ve trying to find a 3" offset in and 3" center out performance muffler, but I don`t want the noise and resonance associated with a high flow muffler. Any suggestions? Right now the best thing I`ve found is a Walker/Dynomax #17769.

I have used them in the past and often said these are the quitest mufflers I have ever used.

I now use something quiter. Hooker Aero Chambers. There on my 400. While a stock low compresio0n engine, they are 2-1/2 inchs in diameter. The exhaust is Headman Elietes down to a H pipe.
All piping is 2-1/2.

Now, at any speed except from idle to 1500, give or take, I can talk to anyone in the car at anytime, with or without the stero on, which I can here at very low volumes.

Thye only * I give it is that you want a 3 inch tube. Now theres a difference to think about that I'm not to familur on.

The Dynomax Hemi Super Turbo is quite a bit longer than the regular super turbo and is very quiet. But a 3" exhaust is going to be loud with most any muffler.

Rumble, are you saying your Hooker Aero Chambers are even more quiet than the Dynomax mufflers?

I made an error. I'll provided a link to the part
Thrush mufflers is what I used.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...1&part=WLK%2D17715&N=700+115&autoview=sku

The names Thrush, Walker & Dyno Max all seem to be under on manufaturer, via a link on the above links page, to the right after you click it.

Not just IMO, but the wifes, my Daughters (13) and my Son (5) made that mention to me. Without me saying a word.
The previous mufflers were right out of the summit racing catolog. The cheapest thrush mufflers were used. The difference is small, but I did notice it along with 3 other sets of ears.

The Hooker is a heavy in weight muffler with a notably thicker case than the Thrush unit.
The Thrush muffler, I could take a finger and push the caseing in, dimple it with the finger/hand. The Hooker will not do that. I think thats part of the reason.

I do and did just this morning get complomented on the sound. It is a little different than the Thrush's. Not as bass-ey (sp?) sounding.

I`m still on the quest for quiet and have read about the Spin Tech 3443 and 8443 mufflers. Muffler length may become an issue with 3" pipes, I`m looking at 18-20 inches max. Anyone used/using Spin Tech?

The Dynomax Hemi Super Turbo is quite a bit longer than the regular super turbo and is very quiet. But a 3" exhaust is going to be loud with most any muffler.

I thought the Hemi ones wouldn't fit an A-body? I'm I wrong? Even in 2 1/2".

I had a 3" single Spintech on my Dakota R/T. Ditched it for single 3" 18" body Magnaflow. Much quieter with the Magnaflow. Then when to dual 3" Magnaflow ( still 18" bodies). Even MORE quiet (until you get on it, then it's a nice deep rumble). I'm currently running the 14" Magnaflows on my Scamp.

Hey John, Are you running tailpipes or just downspouts. you're going t have a tough time finding a quiet muffler for 3 inch pipes. Put dynomax's on mt buddy's duster with 3 inch pipes & down spouts & it would be a lot better if the car had tailpipes.

i'm running the dynomax super turbo mufflers and am very happy with the sound and performance.

Hey John, Are you running tailpipes or just downspouts. you're going t have a tough time finding a quiet muffler for 3 inch pipes. Put dynomax's on mt buddy's duster with 3 inch pipes & down spouts & it would be a lot better if the car had tailpipes.

Hello Pat, I`m running a full system right out the back ending in factory styled tips. I ordered a pair of Dynomax Super Turbos and they should be here this weekend. Getting them installed will probably be at least another week. I know 3" pipes are loud regardless, but I`ve read a lot of reviews about these mufflers and many people have complained about how quiet they are. Lol! I thought " that`s just what I`m looking for".

i'm running the dynomax super turbo mufflers and am very happy with the sound and performance.

Joe are your mufflers the long shell (20") or the short shell. I`ve got some concerns about the shell length of the mufflers I ordered. I ordered the long ones ,....hope they fit.

The Hemi Super Turbo has a case length of 20". I am running 50 series Flowmasters which are 17" and there is plaenty of room for them, can't see why the 20" length won't fit. Aren't stock mufflers about 20" long?

-
Back