quit after 1 day on job

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
So this morning I went to my new job in SF, this evening I mailed the boss to thank him for the job offer but say I wouldnt be coming back.

The first clue that the job might not be as interesting as it was made to sound was that the boss had the book "spin selling" on his office desk. pay wasn't good enough to attack me to be a "data monkey", I'll find better work elsewhere... feel semi-bad the people seemed nice enough for sure

Have you ever quit a job on the same day you started? (first for me) :wack:

.............I've quit the same day also.........the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.........kim...........

I got a job in a mail room once. It was 6pm till 6am and about a 45 minute drive. I was drinking a mug of coffee on my way to work the second day of work. I pulled in the parking lot and grabbed my seat belt and noticed I had a coffee stain the size of a basket ball on my nice WHITE shirt. Opened the door and spiked the coffee mug in the parking lot and went home. Didn't go back haha.

I built enclosed trilers with illegals for one day, sucks when your the only one besides the owner who speaks english.

I worked a Taco Bell back in the 80's for one day. They put me on the drive through. This was before computers and you had to wright the orders on a chalk board.:wave: I think minimun wage was $3.75 back then.

I worked at an AAMCO transmission shop for 4 hours once.
Worked from 8am to noon, went to lunch, came back and quit. This was back in the early 80's when I was young and jobs were plentiful.
Job was not what they told me it would be, and the boss was a total tool.

Got a job at Debell windows once.. small, poorly, lit, horrible colors, worst of all they didn't tell me the job was telephone sales. Quit 2hours later.

I got hired at a clothing retailer and found out I would be making less money than the current job I was holding so I never went to orientation. I was still getting calls 2 years later to see if I could come in and cover a shift.

In high school I worked at Bosten Chicken for one day. The smell of the grease made me sick.

I worked at IHOP when I was 17 yrs old dishwashing. I remember I was so pumped to have a "Real Job" I rode my bike in to work 12 miles in the freezing cold.(Had license but didn't have $ to register my first car. Worked there for about 3 hours and walked out. It was a nightmare. I would and never have worked in a restaurant ever since.

worked for a heating and air company right after trade school, was there 2 days and quit after they told me to paint up some old gas valves and make them look new so they can resell them as new

Worked at fed ex for about 2 hours in phoenix loading trucks 4 years ago and i was all happy then to get a job and wen i started working i couldnt handle it, too many heavy dam boxes and the supervisor was rushing everybody, i didnt want to screw up my back so just called it quits and left home.

I worked at mcdonalds when I was 16 for about 1 min 45 seconds. Nobody told me what shoes to wear, had tennis shoes as they were the ONLY shoes I had. The bitchy manager lit into me, told her to F-off and left. Wish I would have kept that check. LOL

On a side note, the manager was VERY good friends with our neighbors and she felt bad about what happened, apologized to me about 6 months later. I got a job at a machine shop instead.

Worked in a shop for 2 hours building shipping pallets, like Hellion said was the only person who spoke english in the shop. Tossed the air nailer to the foreman and said madre tuyo cabron and left.

Only ever had two jobs. The first was the Navy. They will not let you quit. LOL The other is working for my dad and we get along well.

i applied for a 3rd shift stocking job,(needed more pay had a baby on the way) they called and said i got the job but i was going to a bag boy so i never went in. a week later my old boss asked me to have lunch with him and gave me my job back and a raise

Worked one night as a packer in a cookie company, filling those little plastic trays with cookies, worked 10pm til 8am, had an interview at a small computer manufacturer at 9am, called the cookie company and quit.

Not me, but my daughter took a job at Quizno's while in college. Go in to work the first day and the assistant manager notices she drove her Sundance in. He tells her "since you have a car you'll be making deliveries. She says Quizno's doesn't deliver, I've worked at Quizno's in Pittsburgh while in high school. He said "since you have a car, we deliver."
No mileage or extra $, part of the job. She said good bye, lasted 15 minutes.

In the construction trade, many's the time a person will go to his car at first break and never come back!! Back in the 90's, I quit my job of 10 years to join a union rough crew with my brother-in-law. The foreman was so mean that no one even talked to each other, but while working I was constantly being berated by every member of the crew, including the foreman. Now, my skin is pretty thick, so I started on monday, and by thursday I had enough. I told the foreman that friday would be my last day. He looked at me in shock and asked why I was quitting. I told him that I was used to fixing the very things that his crew was f-ing up and I couldn't handle doing crappy work anymore. On friday, he was so nice to me, I didn't even think it was the same guy!! He even sent me to the store to buy the beer, and we all knocked off early and went to a side job and finished the suds. He asked me what I thought I should be paid for the week and I told him I didn't even care and they could pay me whatever they wanted. A couple weeks later I got a check in the mail for full journeyman's wages!!! I just hope he was nicer to the other guys, I don't know how they went in day after day to that kind of mental abuse!!! The next week I was happily back at my old job!!! Thats my story, Geof

I worked at a farm packing carrots.

you want to know what some back breaking work it!.....boy oh boy, lugging 60lb sacks of carrots around all day was enough for me.....I walked out and didnt go back

My 1st day in the Coast Guard they focked with me so hard I asked if I could quit.... needless to say 12.5 years later I'm still wearing the same blue uniform for the same Coast Guard! lol

I had a few jobs where I didn't stay long.....one was as a mechanic (I am a qualified motor mechanic by trade ), at a place that does a lot of trucks. I had to remove a Cattle crate off a cab/chassis truck, and use a needle gun to remove rust off the chassis.....all the rust was caused by cattle piss & shite....so, I smelled real good after a day of that.....next day I was servicing a Garbage truck....had to climb inside it and grease the stuffing/packing arms.....it wasn't cleaned out at all....had maggots & crap everywhere....so at the end of the day, I said I quit.

I had another job in the Railway....as a Fettler....thats the guy that replaces sleepers, straightens rails, lubricate fish plates, spreads out ballast....all by hand.
I did it for about 4 months...and the straw that broke the camels back was these 2 idiots I worked with....one was an Ex-con...a real waste of space.....he woke me up, it was about 1 or 2 in the morning, he was drunk, had a knife, and asked me to make him some food, I told him to piss off, he had a go with the knife, I side stepped him, and got my hand behind his head and slammed into the table....he was unconscious on the floor, so I packed my bag and left......it was in the middle of nowhere-inparticular.

-
Back