R.I.P. Hostess snacks

-
Oh Noes!!!! It was bad enough that Chocodiles usually need to be mail ordered!!! Now they're gone forever???? Woe is my inner fat kid!

I haven't bought any of their products in a long time but I feel bad for the people losing their jobs.

100% the people lost their jobs. The Union that forced the issue was only about 30% of the workforce but the Teamsters would not cross the picket line and that shut down distribution. So now even the union guys are assed out of their own jobs. Shame. Now when is UAW owned Chrysler going to strike...against themselves??? WTF!

So many memories growing up begging my mom to buy Wonder Bread ("Builds strong bodies 12 ways") as it was advertised heavily on all the kid cartoon shows.
I'll also always remember the "boob cake" one of my co-workers made and brought in to work for me on my 30th birthday - she used Snow Balls for the boobs.
And what are they going to deep-fry at all the fairs now?

100% the people lost their jobs. The Union that forced the issue was only about 30% of the workforce but the Teamsters would not cross the picket line and that shut down distribution. So now even the union guys are assed out of their own jobs. Shame. Now when is UAW owned Chrysler going to strike...against themselves??? WTF!

The job lose is what is bad. I have a neighbor that retired as the manager of the local Hostess outlet where she had worked at for decades so I wonder what will happen to her pension? The employee's will likely take a bigger cut from the company that buys Hostess. The companies may not even keep the same plants in the same locations so the jobs may be gone. I know the plant in Tulsa is quite old.

Expect a quick sale, probably to someone closely tied to the existing company, and a turn-around to production in no time. Business will get moved to states more friendly to employers instead of employees.

Expect a quick sale, probably to someone closely tied to the existing company, and a turn-around to production in no time. Business will get moved to states more friendly to employers instead of employees.

Since they are in bankruptsy can it be a quick sale? I bet it will have to be approved by the court system.

Hostess will come out of bankruptcy and will sell to a shell company and void their union contracts, stiff any company they owe money including retired employees. I willing to bet the ceo and board come out smelling like a rose. You going to see alot more companies go belly up in the next year or two. :wack:

at least we can still get twinkies off ebay for 500 bucks a box , thats got to be comforting....

little debbies rocks the house anyway

NEW YORK—Hostess Brands Inc. is warning striking employees that it will move to liquidate the company if plant operations don’t return to normal levels by Thursday evening.
The maker of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread said Thursday it will file a motion in U.S. Bankruptcy Court to shutter operations if enough workers don’t return by 5 p.m. EST. That would result in the loss of about 18,000 jobs.
Hostess, based in Irving, Texas, has already reached a contract agreement with its largest union, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. But thousands of members in its second biggest union went on strike late last week after rejecting a contract offer that cut wages and benefits in September. Officials for the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union say the company stopped contributing to workers’ pensions last year.
Lance Ignon, a spokesman for Hostess, said that production at about a dozen of its 33 plants has been seriously affected by the strike. He said that a decision on whether Hostess will have to move to liquidate the company may not come until Friday morning, after it’s had a chance to assess plant operations at the end of Thursday.
The Teamsters meanwhile is urging the smaller union to hold a secret ballot on whether to continue striking. Citing its financial experts who had access to the company’s books, the Teamsters say that Hostess’ warning of liquidation is “not an empty threat or a negotiating tactic” but a certain outcome if workers continue striking.
Hostess, a privately held company, filed for Chapter 11 protection in January, its second trip through bankruptcy court in less than a decade. The company cited increasing pension and medical costs for employees as one of the drivers behind its latest filing. Hostess has argued that workers must make concessions for it to exit bankruptcy and improve its financial position.
The company, founded in 1930, is fighting increased competition in the snack space while consumers are more conscious about healthy eating. Hostess also makes Dolly Madison, Drake’s and Nature’s Pride snacks.
Hostess said it will file the motion to liquidate Friday, with a hearing scheduled for Monday. If the motion is granted, Hostess would begin closing operations as early as Tuesday.

Interesting to see what a box of Twinkies will be going for on eBag in the next couple of days as the store shelves are emptied. And what are we going to survive on after a nuclear holocaust or zombie apocalypse now?

Edit: It has already started. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hostess-Twinkies-/190755669452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c69ec85cc
Edit 2: This one is even worse: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Box-of-Twin...889?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416e5ef811
Edit 3: Are you f'ing kidding me??? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Twinkies-/221154337629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337dd3635d

It would be funny if someone bid on the $5000 one and was a nonpaying bidder. Ebay would get the final value fees and then the joke seller would have to jump through the hoop to get the fees refunded.

its all good , i have a secret stash of NOS SUZY Q's .. NEW in the box , NEVER OPENED im holding on to

-
Back