R3 ****

-

Boxer

Reaction score
Here is my new R3 set up, 443CI:

New block with 48 degree geometry, 4 bolt mains, 8 extra head bolts/side, exterior ceramic coated with a thermal dispersant, satin black. Callies Dragon Slayer crank, 4 inch stroke, with counter weights coated with thermal dispersant/oil shedder. Manly rods, 6.125 long, 7/16 bolts with same coating as the crank, hate to admit it but they are big block chebby rods. Diamond 8:5 pistons, 4.2 bore, tops coated with thermal barrier, sides dry film lubricant, bottoms thermal dispersant/oil shedder.
Indy heads 360-1 heads, cnc ported and polished. Combustion chamber, exhaust ports and top of valves coated with thermal barrier, and exterior with thermal dispersant satin black. Matching Indy intake, ported and polished, exterior coated with thermal dispersant, satin black.

This is now going to the engine builder were it will be married with a pro charger kit from the super charger store. It is a F1 pro charger with all the mounting hardware, tubing and belt. Blow through carb, electric fuel pump, regulator, and filter. Water injection tank, nozzle, pump, and filter.

The cam will be here by the end of the week, it is a custom grid from comp, and was the brain storm between Jim - engine guy, Bob – super charger store, and comp cams. It is 627 lift, 234 duration and 114 separation, solid roller.

Hope to have it all in the car by mid – end month of March. I will get some pics of the pro charger kit and enter it by the end of the week.

1 resize.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

I thought your first motor was a killer.Wow!

Did you get the other one sold?It was a steal.................

I'd like to know what happened with the other engine? why did you get rid of it? how much did you sell if for? not enough power? did it blow up? lol, I had hughes engines build me a 408 LA short block, you can see the engine in my sig pic all done and dyno'd...

totally happy with it, I sold it to a guy from this form, I cant find his handle now, but he is from Austria, and I shipped it out in Jan. I wanted a bit more, half way through the first build (hughes 426) I changed my mind and bought an R3. I tried to sell the 426 from Hughes bran new directly from them and no lagit takers. So I decided to run it for a year because I couldn’t do both setups. He got a great deal and a strong package, dyno tuned and ready to roll. It made a best of 468hp to the wheel with a 727, 3800stall, and 373 gears.

I see a twin-turbo setup in the not-too-distant future. How much HP can that bottom end handle?

MOPEkidD-3, How much HP can that bottom end handle? I not really sure, I think I heard my engine guy say, @ 2000 hp. That little small block is quite heavy and beefy in all the right places. I would bet it weighs around 30 - 40 lbs more then a regular 340.

Nice But they are not BBC rods(6.138)Rod journal is 2.20. SBC rods are 2.10 large journal and small journal 2.00.Just helping out.

Mine is 48* block 4.00 Callies 2.00 rod journal Carrillo 6.30 rod with Carr bolts JE gas ported pistons 4.185 bore comp is 15.4 on E-85.

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

Just a thought you might want to run studs instead of bolts and line hone the Mains.

Dragrcr97 with the 500 cube smallblock on moparts is running the bolts.

What's wrong with bolts? I have been told there isnt really a whole lot of difference.

Hey Boxer, what's it run ballpark for a set of the manley rods?
What do they weigh?

POS Dakota, The rods were $1284, the box says avg. B/E weight 474 and avg P/E weight 178. Not sure what that stands for?

I am taking it back to the motor guy tomorrow and will ask about the bolts vs studs, and let you know his response.

sbmmustang, you are correct, my mistake, it says on the box, "pro series lighteight S.B. chebby LJ 6.125.

wow, sbmmustang major compression!! Bet she sounds good!!

cant wait to pick up the pro charger kit tomorrow, will be like xmas, thanks for all the nice words.

POS Dakota, The rods were $1284, the box says avg. B/E weight 474 and avg P/E weight 178. Not sure what that stands for?

I am taking it back to the motor guy tomorrow and will ask about the bolts vs studs, and let you know his response.

sbmmustang, you are correct, my mistake, it says on the box, "pro series lighteight S.B. chebby LJ 6.125.

wow, sbmmustang major compression!! Bet she sounds good!!

cant wait to pick up the pro charger kit tomorrow, will be like xmas, thanks for all the nice words.

PE is the pin end weight BE is big end. That is how they are weighed. Looks like a nice set of rods is why I asked.
Thumbs up for being off to a good start with nice parts.

dart360swinger: How much boost are you planning on running? Great looking motor!
Not really sure, but it should be @ 14 - 18 lbs.

blue missile: Boxer, where did you find the R3 and how much?
I will double check, I think straight from Chrysler, and I think @3k

-
Back