R6 440 block?

-

dgibby

Reaction score
Anyone know of a 1971 440 R6 racing block? Got a local guy trying to sell one complete with only 43k on it. Say's it was a very rare factory option racing block. I can't find anything on it except maybe they do make a modern nascar R6 block but he is saying his is a factory 1971 engine that he pulled out of a barn find.
Waiting for him to get me vin and casting codes.

a 70s 440 race block? pulled from a barn find? my idea the whole car should be kept. ya think.

-didn't "Mopar" or Chrysler supply the race teams 426 Hemi blocks till '72? I BET that 440 is just a plane Jane and really, what would have the difference been in the so-called "race block"??? A more the normal cam, and a different crank? IF its a "bare block" its nothing more then a common RB 440..... You'll have to buy all the needed parts for it if its just a block, Cam, heads, intake, crank, all of it. BUT I'm merely guessing on that.....

Sorry, I think he's smokin crack to say its a '71 "race block R6 440"

a 70s 440 race block? pulled from a barn find? my idea the whole car should be kept. ya think.

Funny, I was thinking the same. Who would pull a rare motor out of a barn find with only 43k on it.

-didn't "Mopar" or Chrysler supply the race teams 426 Hemi blocks till '72? I BET that 440 is just a plane Jane and really, what would have the difference been in the so-called "race block"??? A more the normal cam, and a different crank? IF its a "bare block" its nothing more then a common RB 440..... You'll have to buy all the needed parts for it if its just a block, Cam, heads, intake, crank, all of it. BUT I'm merely guessing on that.....

Sorry, I think he's smokin crack to say its a '71 "race block R6 440"

I figured he was blowing smoke... It s a complete engine, carb to pan. Here is his ad

super rare 1971 big block 440 R6 racing block. and 727 tranmission.

this block is made with a very high grade steel content and can be bulit up too 700 hp without modification of block.

it was in a 1972 but casting codes say its a 1971 R6 high proformance model

This was a barn find. if your building mopar muscle this is a got to have item,
comes with heads, block, 4 barrel manifold, holly four barrel carb. and guts.

already inspected and ready for the rebuild. only 43,*** miles on the car when and ran very well when pulled .

this is the high performance model with forged connecting rods/crank and pistons.
[/COLOR]

The only racing big blocks I remember offered by Mom MoPar were the MB aluminum blocks.

Hes coming up with the r6 because most 440s had this cast on the front of block in front of number one cylinder.

Hes coming up with the r6 because most 440s had this cast on the front of block in front of number one cylinder.
^^^^ What he said, both of my mid-70s 440 have this on them, nothing special. If it was a R6P8 motor it would have been the most current Nascar engine that the Dodge's ran before they pulled out, now if it was that it would be special lol

There was a 440 nascar block, I've only seen one in my time. The 440 nascar block has a giant X cast, not stamped into it. You can't miss it. Its a thicker block with the water jackets moved slightly to allow for a full .10 over. They were used post 1972 after the hemi's were banned. They are extremely rare. most were scrapped after their racing days were over, however, there is one sitting in a muscle museum near Lexington, KY. I've got pictures of it somewhere.

That being said, I highly, highly highly doubt that is what he has. Simply because the 440 nascar blocks weren't out in 71.

but we DO need to remember chrysler did do some strange things from time to time. in my Mopar cluib we have a saying "never say never".

but we DO need to remember chrysler did do some strange things from time to time. in my Mopar cluib we have a saying "never say never".

very very true

There was a 440 nascar block, I've only seen one in my time. The 440 nascar block has a giant X cast, not stamped into it. You can't miss it. Its a thicker block with the water jackets moved slightly to allow for a full .10 over. They were used post 1972 after the hemi's were banned. They are extremely rare. most were scrapped after their racing days were over, however, there is one sitting in a muscle museum near Lexington, KY. I've got pictures of it somewhere.

That being said, I highly, highly highly doubt that is what he has. Simply because the 440 nascar blocks weren't out in 71.

received_283396670163733.jpeg

Like this? Apparently..the 440 I bought isn’t just any old 440...it’s a 1972 R6 440 that somehow found its way into a 1975 Chrysler New Yorker.
It kind of explains all the peculiar characteristics I found as I was disassembling the engine..none of the info and pics I was seeing looked like what I had on the engine stand.

Can anybody tell me more about this R6 block I have?

After I saw NASCAR in the description I figured Yea fkn right..
But..it’s got all the described markings of an R6 block...right down to the year

They said R6 was cast on most of the regular production blocks on the front of the block on #1 cyl side.

Nothing special.

what are you trying to show in the picture? I don’t see an “R6” and that’s not the front of the block.

I just see a 440-6 which IIRC, which the 6th mold.

Like this? Apparently..the 440 I bought isn’t just any old 440...it’s a 1972 R6 440 that somehow found its way into a 1975 Chrysler New Yorker.
It kind of explains all the peculiar characteristics I found as I was disassembling the engine..none of the info and pics I was seeing looked like what I had on the engine stand.

Can anybody tell me more about this R6 block I have?

After I saw NASCAR in the description I figured Yea fkn right..
But..it’s got all the described markings of an R6 block...right down to the year
No.

look at the front of the engine, near where the timing cover would go, there will be an R number there.

The "R" race blocks I believe were the older direct conection/mopar performance non-production
small blocks that had the lifter angle changed to 48deg. To better line up with the push rods like the
B-RB stock blocks. Better to stablize the valve train at higher rpm. They were 340 bore blocks.
I think the lifter bank angle stock was something like 53 deg.
They were in the old parts books and mentioned in the 80's engine bible's.
Rick

-
Back