Racers with Drag radials--Help

-

swifter

Reaction score
First of all what air pressure do you go down the track at,Second how do you do your burn-out--Water box or not??? We have been going to the track with the duster (show car) to have some fun and have tried various ways of burning out,But we have found that if we back in to the water and pull forward and do a slow long burn-out it semi-hooks the best--Any suggestions??? please don't tell me not to go in the box because that doesn't work at all!!!! Thanks Steve

I run 16 psi, put the rear tires in the water and dump the clutch in second @ 3000. No line lock and I don't touch the brakes. The car usually drifts sideways a little and starts accelerating towards the lights. I only get 1.7's in the 60' but its only a 12 second car.

In second???? Never thought of that thank you,We will try it--Steve

In second???? Never thought of that thank you,We will try it--Steve
Second gear burnout,when I used to race my Dart Sport(5yrs ago)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INeu1MhFdnM"]73 Dart Sport 340,4 speed Cayuga/09 - YouTube[/ame]

I give it more gas after dumping the clutch. I have hit the rev limiter a couple times (6000). It really just cleans and heat the tires. There is no visible smoke. The tires don't even look worn after 50 passes and a thousand miles or so.

What I did: My car had the comp T/A drag radials (street legal) on it which I ran 18 psi. My car was an automatic. I just drove into the water, turn the tires in 1st and immediately hit 2nd gear and turn the tires for about two seconds at about 4000 rpm's (in 2nd gear) and let off of the brake with the tires spinning. The car came out spinning and the tires would let out a loud chirp and lock. Car hooked all the time. My car was a very mild 360 and I cut 1.8's 60 ft times. Just what worked for me.

Suspension is key with hooking a radial tire.

My junk will dead hook a drag radial on the STREET.(12.0 car)

Short burnouts are key. Start at 10-12psi and go up in 1-2psi until it spins or 60' falls off.

What's the details on your suspension setup?

I have MT drag radials and run 16 - 16.5 psi. I roll thru water, foot brake in 2nd w auto. Let it burn until tires grab and it grabs bite suddenlly. Then it will hook good. But I'm only running 3.55 rear gears.

super stocks and pinion snubber,3.91 rear end and stock front end,It is our show car that we started to go straight with for a little fall fun m/t drag radials--Steve

Different brand tires seem to require different pressure. I have Nitto's on mine and started with the pressure at 18 like many guys said to do. Wouldn't hook at all no matter how I did the burnout. Raised the pressure to 22 just to see what the effect was and it then hooked with some spinning but nothing nearly as bad as before. Raised it to 24 psi and it hooked better yet, just a little tire spin now. Since that worked I went up more to 26 psi and it spun bad again so 23-24 seems to be the # my Nitto's like. BTW: I have no traction devices on it at all and have stock rear springs. I have 3 way adjustable C/E shocks and had them set on 60/40 rear and 60/40 front. I didn't have tools with me to adjust them to their drag setting or I would have tried that. Currently working on building a set of home made CalTracs in hopes they'll help it get the last bit of spinning stopped.

Note: I also roll through the water box and stop then start the burnout in 2nd gear and about 1-2 seconds after it starts spinning I let off the brake and ease off the gas so it doesn't hook real hard after the burnout. In all I'm spinning the tires about 4 seconds.

BTW: With a torqueflite you should always start in 2nd. Starting in 1st can overspeed the Sprague and do damage

My son ran a 11.1 today which is the best so far and it's a four speed and spinning tires so I won't even mention 60ft times cause they suck and he's getting his reaction times better.

I run BFG drag radials. I start in first then go right into second spinning at about 3K. Once I hear the motor start to bog down I stop. I have SS springs ,drag shocks and a snubber. 60 ft 1.7-1.8

Steve, you guys ran awesome today even though the track prep was terrible. We both hooked up a ton better 2 weeks ago. We just need stickier tires. These SR's just aren't meant for this.

20 psi minimum is my guess if it's a 275/60 or something like that.

What gear you do a burnout in is really dependent on tire size and rear gear. You want about 100mph of wheel speed so figure out which gear that would be. My Dart, I did them in 3rd gear. Back up to the water but not in it. Just want wet ground. DR usually don't like force style burnouts. Get up on the tire, count to 2 or three and come out. Street driven cars with DR, hit them hard on your first burnout to get the crust off.

Typically 18psi works well with an MT, radials DO NOT want a giant show boat burn out. A lot of it is in the front end, you need to hit the tire as hard as you can and keep it under power. This is why you don't usually see a radial tire on a stick shift car successfully. If you can make it Friday I could take a look and give some pointers. May even have a set of slicks in the truck, radials will be on the car.

the X275 cars with the new pro 275/60/15 are running 18psi

That tire is a little tricky to compare. After setting another car (wayyyyy more HP than me) up with them and talking to MT we were told to treat it like a slick.

I pull straight through the water and stop 3-4 ft. on the other side and do my burnout in 2nd gear and shift into 3rd. Burnout till I see smoke. I run 16-18 lbs air. 315/60 M/T Drag Radial. I have had a best of 1.34 60 ft. I run Caltrac bars.

Man you guys are on a roll --LOL--Thanks,We will play on Friday with pressure geez we still have 32lbs in them from running on the street--Steve

i had 20 pounds in the 235s,started burnout in sec went to third and roll out.

-
Back