rack and pinion

-
Talk to Abodyjoe did a complete r&p but this might not be how you want it done

Joe installed an AlterKtion front suspension system, which comes with a rack and pinion. It'a a whole different front end!

Let's be honest here fellows, yes I agree the Alterktion kits are sweet, but you need to know what you are doing, to be able to do it yourself.

I have a 68 Dart, I would really like to install a Rack-n-Pinions steering unit, however I don't have the $5k that Arterktion sells their solution for.. I remember reading and article about a conversion that was done using a Rack from a Dodge Dakota P/U.. Can anyone point in the direction of that conversion solution? Thanks for your attention..

Hemi_Demon "Bruce Longenecker" of macedonia ohio did a dakota rack conversion with a stock k frame. bill rielly said that it was a good example of it being done right. on the bigblockdart.com sight bill_ rielly explains what to do with the steering arms to get the geometry right. post#7 of "a-body Rack And Pinion"

Hemi_Demon "Bruce Longenecker" of macedonia ohio did a dakota rack conversion with a stock k frame. bill rielly said that it was a good example of it being done right. on the bigblockdart.com sight bill_ rielly explains what to do with the steering arms to get the geometry right. post#7 of "a-body Rack And Pinion"

Can you post a link to that please ? TIA

Can you post a link to that please ? TIA

a-body Rack And Pinion

http//www.bigblockdart.com/forum/showthread.php?...

post #7Re: a-body Rack and Pinion
The steering arms are designed to provide the correct ackerman in a rear steer system. Swapping them to front steer doesn't work because they have the opposite affect and you won't be able to steer the car. Putting a rack into the Kframe can be made to work ok, but to get it even close you'll have to fab up your own steering arms.

The best way to do that is to make a pair out of thin junk metal and use washers for spacers - this stuff will be easy to bend and adjust. Once you get it all adjusted that the geometry is right, copy the shape with better stuff to make the permanent arms.

It's not the rack that causes problems, it's the geometry - All the pivot points have to be adjusted to work with the new pivot points of the rack, which is easier said than done with the stock suspension parts that were intended for a rear steer layout.

To get an idea of what you need to do, You can do some online searches for terms like Ackerman Steering and Bumpsteer, which are the two biggest problems you'll experience.
In a drag car, steering isn't much of an issue as long as it's close enough that the car is stable, but on the street, steering geometry is top priority.

-
Back