rack n pinion front steer ackerman issues...explain...

-
ohio is not bfe denny, but pretty damn close. lol his seat broke not any welds. the back brace to support the upper part of his carbon fiber seat punched through the seat. i am uncertain if that is what happen to daves nova but i believe it to be so. but by saying both is the same is total speculation at this point. i only know justins for sure did via my eye balls seen the pic of it like everyone else who has internet. i know the fix to there issues as does many others. it isnt the seats fault. its just proper bracing support for materials used. expect the unexpected didnt get looked into at the back of the seat brace and it caused injury. lucky it didnt cause death. i know i would not of approved of the mounts before taking the car home like that. yet i am a safety nazi unlike anything one has seen.

Nice to know people....in the know.

If you know what I mean.O:)

Nice to know people....in the know.

If you know what I mean.O:)

yes. it is and i do understand. i forget sometimes how connected one is vs most others to the world of street racing or small tire heads up racing. i am not that well connected but i keep it all arms length or further myself. some of those guys are not all that savory of personalities one wants to be around. when you have kids, business to represent, disinterested backgrounds etc... i forget these things time to time. do my best to stay from be arrogant etc.. when i dont know something i find out. which why this thread was created. it was for ke to know wth it was all about. my builder already knew about it and just told me to study and figure it out or trust him. i trusted him but i wanted to know why i should as well. it has been a great read from you denny. it shows your a classy guy and why you have been around for some time. what you have told me has been educational for me and peaceful to my mind here. if or when we meet i promise to buy what ever it is your drinking.:coffee2:

good call.....I will take you up on it.

If I can be of any assistance, let me know. I am a hot-rodder first and foremost. I got shelves full of "what ifs" when it comes to A body rack and pinion development....love innovation, just hate to see it (and $$$) wasted on stuff that already has been tried...and not worked.

good call.....I will take you up on it.

If I can be of any assistance, let me know. I am a hot-rodder first and foremost. I got shelves full of "what ifs" when it comes to A body rack and pinion development....love innovation, just hate to see it (and $$$) wasted on stuff that already has been tried...and not worked.

i forgot to say thank you and i will certainly ask.
yea ive seen your comments on others who have attempted things. there are only so many ways to skin a cat. geometry is fluid and things break and bind when done incorrectly or overlooked. only a tiny list of why i dont show further what ive got on my car. lots of what i call basement critics with zero knowledge but bandwagon beliefs. trying to avoid destruction and crusufiction before presentation of the finalized product is tough enough as it is. i dont know anyone who picks things apart more than i do. just by reading my past post will show mlhow critical i am.

i posted this trying selling my oilpan. shows the clearance i have is massive. still hiding mg control arms. lol

let me ask you this......hopefully I am not asking for the secret to the atomic bomb.

you mentioned you are utilizing coil overs and factory spindles / brakes.
are you using factory lower control arm?

let me ask you this......hopefully I am not asking for the secret to the atomic bomb.

you mentioned you are utilizing coil overs and factory spindles / brakes.
are you using factory lower control arm?

no the only thing used is the spindle because i already had the 800 dollar wilwoods on them. the ford stuff was absolutely on the table and still is. what he did we believe will work just fine though. totally new lower a arm design along with billet spindle mount to attach the new arm to.. not a single strait arm like factory. gonna work on doing an upper a arm as well to compliment the lower arm. there are a few things he wants to change that is on the car now. i put him behind 3 months and im behind as well. i have engine parts arriving and this is the only time i have to build the engine and get it near running. so i must use the short winter time i have to get the car plumbed and wired and ready to nearly running before i get busy again come feb.

so there is plenty of reasons to hold off on the meat of it with pics. i really do want to show it. like a kid with a new toy but im smart enough to know it isnt ready for it. what i have shown is ready to be seen. it is what its about. real estate desperately needed. weight saving, cost savings, american made, american materials, hotrodding and hemis, mopar or no car blood is thickening the aftermarket waters finally. that i am proud to be a part of. i dont want to let anyone down with this at all. my heart will be crushed if it does and ill feel responsible.

Please dont take this comment as being rude but I doubt you will be bringing anything new to the table. The front end has been around for over half a century and there is not much innovation left to be discovered.

chromoly tubing and forged billet steel. all tig welded. . so what you are talking about flat stock cuz you have me baffled **** and its my car. this chassis builder has been around a long time. he has k member kits all for mustangs, f bodies, only one who makes a mark viii k member kit.

anyways. like ive said. there is testing that needs to be done. things will need changed or revamped/tweaked like any new product as it gets tested. one of just another reason i dont post more pics. he said i could post a little bit of it but i dont really want to. i think with as much **** is already being slung there is no point. the end result will leave the cards play out as they should.

Was talking about pics provided in a link o on this thread , probably not your builder.

So something like this?

nope nothing like that. that does indeed seem a bit different. i see a few things i like in there, but its not like mine. do notice the extreme angle of the rack connecting the the steering arm. is that full extension? pretty big angle for sure. wonder if there is a bump steer issue?

mine does not reinvent the wheel. it just creates space and cost savings and is not the same as the rest. why allow another to produce what we have when we have not tested it yet. it isnt rocket science but it is his. im just respecting his work by not showing it till its a working ready to sell product.

Cool. I look forward to seeing it.
I am stuck with doing a rear steer rack because I cannot justify the 2500 extra to go front steer for no weight loss.

The pictures are at full drop. The unit is made by Bob's Pro Fab. I should have posted that with the pics. I have half of his kit currently.

Cool. I look forward to seeing it.
I am stuck with doing a rear steer rack because I cannot justify the 2500 extra to go front steer for no weight loss.

The pictures are at full drop. The unit is made by Bob's Pro Fab. I should have posted that with the pics. I have half of his kit currently.

yea i know what you mean. 2500 is a big chunk of change. 1000 less would about perfect though wouldnt it? like i was saying this thing is a game changer and light as a feather vs the stock stuff.

So your saying we're going to get a full k member, upper and lower control arms, a new rack and some way to adapt the rack to stock spindles for $1500? Does this guy work for free? If so, I have some projects that need some attention!

to clarify I have the upper and lower arm coil conversion from bob. The last time I talked to him to upgrade to the new spindle arms, rack, k member, and changing the ends on my trailing arm with shipping would be about 2300.
Now my opinion on front ends after changing and weighing almost every part on the car. There is no need to go to a coil over unless you have to run big headers under the car. The swap out weighs the same and the t bars are actually unsprung weight. The changing to a new k with front steer is only needed if you want to move the engine back or run a big square pan. There is only weight savings in the k member. Then if you do change to a kit that requires forward bars to stiffen the shock towers you are just trading more weight. It only makes sense if you have to have the bars for racing purposes.
I really am interested in this new cheap idea, it would be nice to see it when it is ready. Pease understand you maybe met with skepticism because every other week for the past 6+ years someone has come on this and other sites tooting their horn that they have the newest, cheapest, and most innovative new front end kit only to find out someone beat them to it or built it once and it didn't work.

to clarify I have the upper and lower arm coil conversion from bob. The last time I talked to him to upgrade to the new spindle arms, rack, k member, and changing the ends on my trailing arm with shipping would be about 2300.
Now my opinion on front ends after changing and weighing almost every part on the car. There is no need to go to a coil over unless you have to run big headers under the car. The swap out weighs the same and the t bars are actually unsprung weight. The changing to a new k with front steer is only needed if you want to move the engine back or run a big square pan. There is only weight savings in the k member. Then if you do change to a kit that requires forward bars to stiffen the shock towers you are just trading more weight. It only makes sense if you have to have the bars for racing purposes.
I really am interested in this new cheap idea, it would be nice to see it when it is ready. Pease understand you maybe met with skepticism because every other week for the past 6+ years someone has come on this and other sites tooting their horn that they have the newest, cheapest, and most innovative new front end kit only to find out someone beat them to it or built it once and it didn't work.

yes, i know there is skepticism. i wont lie i will wait and see if it works myself. if there is anything you get out of me. it will be brutal honesty. if it wont work. i will ***** till no tomorrow but it will be at him to make it right. not that i think it will come to that. im just saying ill be the first to speak my mind on it.

and no that does not include uppers or is it a stone price. it would only require the k member, his lowers and spindle mounting hardware to work steering components such as shaft and column mods would need to be done by the end user is uncertain. so there are details unhashed out. mostly because of all mine required to fit many other things in one. sadly this was my cheaper option vs custom turbo headers. that was my 2 options. i am hoping this one pans out for many others. this was my choice as a mopar fan. hoping that what i do helps others in the end. no loss to me if it does not. only loss to my chassis builder who spent lots and lots of time on it for you guys as well for me. i asked him of this for you and he obliged. he didnt have to or need to but he thought it would be nice to help out those of us who cant afford uber expensive but still want good stuff that works. so i tip my hat to him for that alone. he has his plate over filled with the heads up world in mustangs and f bodies etc.. bread and butter stuff. im really happy to get this done. overly happy. i hope others will be as well once its out. im doing my best to get my car finished this spring and tested to get it out to show.

Just from the one picture it reminds me of a Team Z Mustang k-member, I always look at those and then look at a Mopar front end and wonder why there is so much difference. If it works well I think your biggest hurdle will be convincing Mopar guys that is safe and works. A lot of Mopar guys for some reason think you need 1/4" thick everything with 20 triangulated points for it to hold up.

Maybe for your specific application, but not everyone shares your expectations or results.

I find the majority of HDK customers install the conversion for these reasons.

1) eliminate the sloppy 45 year old factory steering by utilizing a rack and pinion assembly
2) eliminate header /torsion bar clearance issues
3) drop weight....29.8 lbs on manual HDK conversion (brake package savings not included)
4) overall room for different motor / header combinations
5) want a more aggressive, lowered, but drive-able stance
6) it is a hot rod....and they want modify it.

The conversion isn't for everyone....and definitely not every car. My two personal favorite builds of are my friends 23K miled, 383 / 4-speed 1970 Duster, keeping the factory suspension and my silver Hemi Duster (sorry, I love that thing).....two very different hot rods.....but look great side by side, whether sitting still or cruising down the road. Both started out as dime-a- don everyday cars....now serious hot rods (IMHO)

Just from the one picture it reminds me of a Team Z Mustang k-member, I always look at those and then look at a Mopar front end and wonder why there is so much difference. If it works well I think your biggest hurdle will be convincing Mopar guys that is safe and works. A lot of Mopar guys for some reason think you need 1/4" thick everything with 20 triangulated points for it to hold up.

couldnt have said it better myself. i have also seen a team z under a working mopar. its a monster.

Denny just adding my 2cents. I am not a pro builder and i know every application is diffrent and changing things on a car is fun to do.
I changed most of mine with no regrets other than not going the whole way with new k and front steer.
I dont expect my comment to put a dent in front end conversion sales.
if i can find the means to get the new k and front steer i defiantly will.

Your comments are always good....and welcome from my perspective.

My thoughts were just a little different from yours....but I have the same issue with my wife. I'm just afraid to tell her.....

With you guys, it's not such a big deal when we disagree a tad.

Your comments are always good....and welcome from my perspective.

My thoughts were just a little different from yours....but I have the same issue with my wife. I'm just afraid to tell her.....

With you guys, it's not such a big deal when we disagree a tad.

so true. cant upset the supper meal ticket etc..i bought a huge couch just cuz ive yet to learn that lesson and she needs a comfy place to sleep when i do. hahahaha

three rules in my (cough, cough) house

1) keep the wife happy
2) keep the wife happy
3) do not forget rules 1 and 2

-
Back