Radiator Core Support Blackout

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Do any of you guys have photos from when you blacked out the front of the radiator core support (without the grill/pumper installed)?

I'm finally getting around to spraying mine on the 68 Dart and am looking for inspiration on how far to go, etc.

Are the hood latch and latch support blackout as well?? Thanks guys!

And yes, I'll be painting the front side of the radiator as well.

upload_2022-4-13_13-25-45.png

upload_2022-4-13_13-25-51.png

Here is mine prior to paint (factory), was done with the fenders on the car, mine had overspray as seen in the last picture.
No masking or hard edges.
2000-11-01_004.jpg

2000-11-01_005.jpg

2001-06-23_025.jpg

2001-06-23_039.jpg

2001-06-23_040.jpg

1990-06-01_021.jpg

Alan

Only the front of the latch support got paint, the latch panel didn't get any, at lest on my car (67 Barracuda).

Every car was different, some more, some less. Some the tiger stripe is more obvious.

Alan

Basically, any area that shows through the grill, so that includes the vertical latch support and the bottom of the radiator support, since I can see it peeping out below the bumper. Here's a photo of how Alan did my Barracuda. You may not need to do the headlight buckets so thoroughly since I don't think they show on the Dart.

IMG_5515.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here you go. This is how I did it.

Also painted the rad, left the latch plate body color, painted the hook and the spring black.

dscn5223-jpg.jpg

Basically, any area that shows through the grill, so that includes the vertical latch support and the bottom of the radiator support, since I can see it peeping out below the bumper. Here's a photo of how Alan did my Barracuda. You may not need to do the headlight buckets so thoroughly since I don't think they show on the Dart.

View attachment 1715907019

View attachment 1715907020
When I did Max's car it I did it a little more thorough than I'd have liked as the can was not spraying as nice as I would have liked.

Alan

Please do it. That's a peave of mine.

Ha ha. Yep, I hate it when I go to a car show and I see a Sassy Grass Green car, say, with all that green plus a bare aluminum radiator showing through the grill. It just looks funky as hell. Might as well not have a grill at all if you are going to highlight all that random metal.

Every car got different quality and amounts of black out paint. I know a guy who did the job back in the day. It was an entry level job. As you can imagine, spraying paint upward from a pit with a wand like a weed sprayer was a pretty nasty job. So he said that if someone called in sick one of the first guys to leave their post to be a replacement was the core support painter. Depending on how fast the line was running or how hung over the guy was made the difference in what got sprayed. He said he was never checked on by a supervisor so some cars didn't get a very good spray job in his time before he got a job upgrade. If he went to fill in for someone else the other guy in the pit had to add the paint for another line to his job. He said all were supposed to get painted but that is why some cars hardly got any black paint or were skipped, especially dark colored cars.

When I did Max's car it I did it a little more thorough than I'd have liked as the can was not spraying as nice as I would have liked.

Alan

No complaint... just so long as no random copper color shows from outside, it's good. I sprayed my convertible with the grill and nose installed. I loosely taped up some newspaper to protect a few areas, and just reached in with a can and sprayed around. So it was very random, like Alan's photo, but more so. Then the shop did a nicer job when I got it repainted.

Really shows attention to factory detail....most do miss it!!

You're working on a Dart which could very well be different then a Barracuda. Here are some pictures of my 68 Dart. The headlight bucket area wasn't sprayed but everything else was. Even the top of the latch support. You can see that the blackout in the center area that is exposed behind the grill is basically sand blasted clean from years of driving. The lowest area exposed beneath the bumper is blasted clean too. Blackout overspray also found its way into the engine compartment through holes in the rad support.

black1.jpg

black2.jpg

black3.JPG

Every car got different quality and amounts of black out paint.... Depending on how fast the line was running or how hung over the guy was made the difference in what got sprayed. He said he was never checked on by a supervisor so some cars didn't get a very good spray job in his time before he got a job upgrade..... He said all were supposed to get painted but that is why some cars hardly got any black paint or were skipped, especially dark colored cars.
Haha! "Look for the Union label!"

Thanks for the inspiration guys. I feel like the Dart is a bonafide Mopar now. I'm not sure why it took me so long to take care off this. I'll post up a photo tomorrow once I get a chance to put it all back together.

By the way, am I the only one here who loves the smell of SEM trim black?? Damn, that **** smells good.

upload_2022-4-19_20-19-14.png

upload_2022-4-19_20-23-23.png

Do you have any plans to repaint the grill? The reproductions all come painted incorrectly for a GT and GTS.

Do you have any plans to repaint the grill? The reproductions all come painted incorrectly for a GT and GTS.

I hadn't really thought about it. I like the way it looks now, plus the car isn't a real GTS. It just a post car with a bunch of different parts thrown at it.

-
Back