radiator hose dart 440 swap

-

Tur8o Joe

Reaction score
any one know where to start or what works best I have a 1972 dart that i put a 440 in and its time for top and bottom radiator hoses im use a after market alm radiator 4 row with dual elc fans upper and lower hose connect are in rite sides but might be a little wider do to the bigger than stock radiator total wide is 28" any help thanks looking for short cut getting tiered

Some guys just like to bend up some wire and take it Napa to try to match.

All of your connections are on the right (passenger) side? For the lower you could start by looking up an application for a mid to late '70's Mopar with big block (ex: '78 Dodge Magnum with 6.8 (400)). They had the WP inlet on the right side and would have had 26" rads.

You can look them up on Rockauto or the Dayco site: http://www.daycoproducts.com/parts?...&make=2&modeltype=3&model=821&description=992

A Dayco (lower) 70780 or Gates (lower) 20958 may work with a little trim.
Dayco (upper) 70539 or Gates 20875 might work for upper if it's on the right too.

I've had very good luck adapting molded hoses from B or C-Body car models with big blocks.

Our duster with 440 has gate hoses rad is 26 1/2 inches hoses still have a little more movement in them top is a 80mh70 07fo6 only numbers on it the bottom sorry best I can do is tell you it ends in 046 label is mostly gone.

I bent a coat hanger in the shape of the hose I needed and then went to my parts store. In the back of the "Gates" catalogue is pictures of all the hoses with measurements. You need to find a patient parts person who isn't having a bad day and go from there. My lower was cut to fit on both ends and the upper was from an old 80 something Citation. I only had to cut one end. My lower hose is on the passenger side and the rad is from a 74 dodge one ton with a 440. Took all of about a 1/2 hour at the store.

Attachments

• IMG_1258.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 457
You can also get Universal hoses in a pinch. Also, sometimes there's a local hose making shop that makes hoses for anything, just take them what you need and they can make it for you.

If I remember correctly, my upper hose was from a 70 small block dart. A little trimming and it worked just fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 582
thanks i ended up with napa 71 challenger 440 hoses had to trim 2" off top and bottom fit like a glove crazy i know getting close trying to start next week

-
Back