Radiator interchange - '62 to '67 valiant

-

WhyteRoots

Reaction score
I have a rebuilt radiator for a '62 Valiant that I'd like to install in a '67 Valiant, both being slant sixes. Could someone with a parts manual tell me if these radiators are interchangeable?

I say make it fit. I have a 67 radiator in my 65. Top holes lined up. Bottom ones didn't. Just needed new holes drilled.

Measure it up and see how close they are

I think the 62 will have a 19 inch wide where the 67 is 22 inches wide. Going larger is usually easier than going to smaller. Good luck

It should fit. IF you have it there do some measureing of the mounting holes between the 2.

Trouble is, the radiator is with me in Edmonton and the car is in Seattle. I don't know anyone here with a '67 to '71 Valiant or Dart that I can measure. I guess I'll just take the rad with me on the plane as carry-on and hope that I can make it fit when I get there. Happily, it's very light - might be aluminum.

I would sell the 62 radiator, since it is rare and worth more to someone with a 62-63 car (19"W rad). A 72+ radiator should fit your 67, since I put one in my 65 Dart. I had to drill the lower holes. I think it is a slant rad since has a 1.5"D lower tube on the passenger side, though it isn't angled like most slant ones.

BILL, that's good advice but I also have a '62 Valiant, in which this radiator will be re-installed someday. I'll just be using it temporarily in the '67, to get it home, and will get the original rad rebuilt sometime later.

As it turns out, I might not have to take my radiator on the plane with me. A Seattle shop that's helping me with this is looking for a correct new one to install on Friday.

The shop did find a new radiator but it wasn't quite right. The lower hose fitting comes straight out, not turned up like on the original. The moulded hose therefore didn't fit and they had to adapt it with a pipe coupling, which caused me two breakdowns on the road. I eventually got home, though, and the car otherwise performed perfectly. Dull as dishwater but this '67 Valiant V100 is dependable.

The radiator in my 64 Dart slant is not original, and the lower tube doesn't turn up either. I found a hose that fit fine. Per my prior posts, it was Gates 70776, but those were all "I recall". I think I later verified that PN though. I'll try to check when I get home. That slant hose has to be a little special to curve behind the alternator belt.

BILL, thanks for that part number. Having any extra fittings in the cooling system is never a good idea. Now that I've got the car pretty well cleaned up, I'll start another thread for it. It's nothing exciting, just a good, solid LOL car, from back when LOL meant Little Old Lady.

-
Back