radio choices

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a radio that fits in the stock hole. All I need is FM, amp outs and I-pod input. It doesnt need to be a CD player.

I have a nice clarion deck but it wont fit in the glove box and I dont want to cut the dash or hang it under the dash. I also have a old Pioneed super tuner but no amp or I pod hook ups.

I would love to take a stock am radio and have it converted but I dont have $300 to spend on a radio at this point.

check wally world,them cheapo rampage units actually sound decent and fit if they still sell them there,I'll check see If I have any left and if they have the i pod hookup

Nope. You ruled out all your options too. Someone would probably have made a replacement unit for our cars if the hacksaw hadn't been invented first.

This is gonna sound ugly, but yeah, finding a reasonably priced shaft-mount single-DIN radio with an ipod input and amp outputs...not gonna happen. Your best bet if you want all of that, is gonna be to cut your dash(which is traumatic, I know), but you could also cut out a panel large enough for the new stereo, come up with a way to mount the new one behind the factory radio(which will just be the face of the radio, nothing functional), then have the factory radio/sheet metal panel hinged to fold down, and the new radio slide out slightly for access, sort of like how the rack inside a toaster oven slides out slightly when you open the door. Not an easy option, possibly not a pretty option depending on how you execute it, but it is an option.

I have a buddie with the sony Xplod system mounted under his seat,comes with remote and four speakers 99$ wal mart (wally world)I have the same system in my duster sounds great as is but a small amp would really wake it up

I mounted an amp upside down between the rear speakers and ran the wires under the carpet and brought them out the underside of the front seat. I bought a XM Roady unit and kept it under the seat for a "stock" look. When I wanted music I lifted the trunk, reached under the rear deck to retrieve the magnetic ant. and stuck it on the rear deck between the trunk and rear glass. Just plug the roady unit in the cig. lighter and you'll have a rocking stereo. You will need to go to radio shack and get the wire that plugs in the roady unit (or Ipod) and converts it to two RCA plugs that runs the amp. That wire also has an inline volumn control. Works great and you can stash the entire system under the front seat for that stock show look. XM's 50's and 60's channel are great.

My $.02

Jim

I ran in the same problem with my Duster,but I did some researching and found this site ,called them & gave them the measurements and they built what I wanted w/ a 10 disc CD changer....You can get a radio from $219.00 & up just depends on what bells & whistles you want.They never made one for an A-Body untill I gave them the measurements.Had it within a week....Looks nice and fits very well......She told me that if I knew anyone that needed a radio for an A-Body or any MoPar to give her a call......
My measurements on my 71 Duster were
5 13/16 knob centers
4 3/16 x 1 3/4 face opening
9" length--6" width-- 2 3/4 height
The website is:
http://www.absoluteclassics.com/stereos.htm

Have a shaft style Dual AM/FM/Stereo cassette radio that I'm willing to sell cheap. It has L/R pre-amp outputs in the back and a mini-phono plug input on the front. The input could be used with an iPod or a CD player. It has L/R balance but not Fore/Aft. Tone control limited to bass boost. The radio is practically new and will be coming out of the 73. The knobs shown in the photo are not included, but the set that came with the radio would be included. Can provide a larger higher resolution photo to an e-mail address.

I'm selling the radio because without the fore/aft control, there is not enough gain on the amp to adequately adjust to get the sound I want. I'm looking for $35.00 plus shipping.

IMG_5623s.JPG

I got them taken & resized.The lady you need to talk with is Cory @ 877-201-7218.They can't put the MoPar Logo on it because of a licenseing factor and it would cost thousands of $$$ to get that from what Cory told me,but there are a few Logos to choose from.Mine says Custom Autosound or you can get it plain,black,chrome,etc....Here is the homepage and some pics of mine..it has CD controls,USB player,RCA outputs,Aux inputs for ipod,MP3,DVD,satellite,etc... http://www.absoluteclassics.com/

DSC04498.JPG

DSC04499.JPG

DSC04501.JPG

DSC04502.JPG

DSC04505.JPG

I have a working thumb knob am radio for a 67-69 with a nice front for $100. plus freight! Send me your e-mail and I can send you pics. Hemi

I coudn't find a replacement for cheap so I left the original radio in and just mounted a CD player w/Ipod and Aux inputs into the Glove compartment. Used plywood to make it and then carpeted with some speaker box carpet. Best thing about it is the glove box door covers it all up to give it that "Stock" look.

Why don't you leave the stock radio in the dash and put a new single dim cd player in the glove box. get one with a remote and no one would ever be the wiser. just a thought.

Thanks, did a lot of looking/researching,but it was worth it.If you need any larger pics of anything just let me know also got the 10 disc CD changer with it....Leonard

You also could have an amp or two mounted under the seat or in the trunk, get an ipod or mp3 player with an FM tuner & power it with the amps. Keep your stock radio & look, just have a wire in the glove box or next to your shifter (if it is a console) to plug your ipod into. Very clean, easy to use, save money on the head unit. Just my $.02.

Theres an amp under my front seat, 6X9s in the deck under a factory package tray with speaker slots and Im going to put 3.5"s in the dash.

I think Im going to do what cdawglean did seeing I all ready have a deck I can use.

I'm thinking of putting my little $99 Sony stereo with iPod aux and Amp under the driver's seat. I'll run a Monster wire from the Aux port to my iPod or iPhone. I shaved my antennae and tucked it underneathe the dash. Now my dash and windshield frame acts as my antennae in the convertible. NO DASH CUTTING PLEASE!!!

I know you ruled it out but the radio conversion is great, I had mine done and its worth every penny. Digital AM/FM and an Ipod hook up. Slides back into the factory hole the original presets still work and 50w/4 channels or the option to run 6 channels.

-
Back