Radio Problem

-

olddman

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Dodge Dart GT. Had the radio converted to an AM/FM in January last year. Got it back and reinstalled it with no problem. Turned it on and it worked fine. Now when I turn the lights on it stops working. If I turn the lights off and turn the volume up full blast it comes back on. I have radio powered with a wire off the radio post at the fuse block and the radio light powered with a wire off the light post at the fuse block.
I tried running a power wire from a different source, but again when I turn on the head lights it stops working. Need some help.

I don't know what all they did to it but a lot of the newer electronics just shut down if there is not sufficient power to it.

Just for giggles power it direct off the battery, then turn your lights on and see if it still goes off.
If not, well then you know you need a better power source for it.

X2 lack of full 12 volts. If this is the case, you learn that every electrical system in the vehicle is suffering from low voltage. Sure the lights, ignition, wipers, heater, etc.., will work,,, not as good as they could though.

X2 lack of full 12 volts. If this is the case, you learn that every electrical system in the vehicle is suffering from low voltage. Sure the lights, ignition, wipers, heater, etc.., will work,,, not as good as they could though.

I hesitated to mention that in case it was pointless to do so, but this is correct.

I would agree with the lack of power to the radio. As some truck drivers experience, they hook up a CB that pushes 50 Watts or more, to a lack luster power source and wonder why it doesn't work correctly.

A couple of months ago I was driving through Iowa and one driver sounded like Donald Duck on the CB, his whole problem was lack of power.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with this problem. Will try running a power wire from the battery to the radio turn the lights on and sees if that solves the problem. If not I will get back with ya'll.

Well everyone, I am still having problems with my radio. Tried running hot wire from post on starter solenoid that battery connects. Turned on the radio then turned on the headlights and the radio went off after about 10-15 seconds. Turned off headlights and radio came back on.
Then ran hot wire from positive post of battery to radio. Turned on radio and then turned on the headlights. Radio went off after about 10-15 seconds. Turn headlights off, radio came back on.
Checked voltage at battery and got 12 volts. Turned on headlights and voltage dropped to about 11 volts. Turned radio on while headlights were on and voltage did not drop. Do I need to try to check for amp drop?
Need some more ideas.

Well everyone, I am still having problems with my radio. Tried running hot wire from post on starter solenoid that battery connects. Turned on the radio then turned on the headlights and the radio went off after about 10-15 seconds. Turned off headlights and radio came back on.
Then ran hot wire from positive post of battery to radio. Turned on radio and then turned on the headlights. Radio went off after about 10-15 seconds. Turn headlights off, radio came back on.
Checked voltage at battery and got 12 volts. Turned on headlights and voltage dropped to about 11 volts. Turned radio on while headlights were on and voltage did not drop. Do I need to try to check for amp drop?
Need some more ideas.

Something isn't right.
I have well over 12 just sitting and not running, and 14.8 at idle running.
You apparently need to look into your wiring and connections (sucks I know)
The headlight relay kit crackedback sells would solve that I'd bet, because right now you are drawing off cabin voltage for your lights when the system can't supply enough through your current wiring.

Not saying crackedbacks harness is required to solve this, just that it probably would.

Have you checked all the grounds ? Did you try hooking a jumper wire from the neg. side of batt. to the dash or radio chasis

Try running a separate ground from the negative battery post to the chassis of the radio.

Geo21 beat me to it.

Try running a separate ground from the negative battery post to the chassis of the radio.

Geo21 beat me to it.

Yep you guys are right, the ground is just as important, but I'd bet it still does it.
My stereo would go off at about 11 volts.

Probably a good idea to start with cleaning all the grounds for the battery to engine to chassis and then move into it from there if needed.

I once grounded my stereo to my dash light power feed! Heck, it tested as a ground when I probed it...duh! I would turn the radio on and then my lights and poof, blown fuse. I would replace the fuse and it would happen again. pulled the antenna lead and it would hold, but as soon as I touched the antenna lead to radio with lights on, pop. Funny once I figured it out. Power it up straight to battery., Easy enough to turn the radio off when you pull the key. Itll retain the presets too if its that style.

I'm starting to think bad alternator. Diodes in it should step up its output as load requires. Headlights are 1 of 3 major draws. The blower motor and/or wiper motor might turn the radio off too. In that case headlight relays cured notta.
Anyway... the charging system is the fault. Something as simple as a loose belt ? who knows. Good luck

I'm starting to think bad alternator. Diodes in it should step up its output as load requires. Headlights are 1 of 3 major draws. The blower motor and/or wiper motor might turn the radio off too. In that case headlight relays cured notta.
Anyway... the charging system is the fault. Something as simple as a loose belt ? who knows. Good luck

It sure seems like it's the charging system or battery from the details.

Yea, that's a weird one, sure sounds like a voltage drop either on the hot or the ground side. You may also may have a sense wire that needs real battery voltage since you mentioned you have updated electronics. You may also want to check your battery voltage (at the battery) while running to see what happens when you turn headlights on.

hi. try hooking radio to the battery, red to pos and black to grnd. don,t hook up to red to solenoid because you will still get the same problem. also if you have access to a load tester test the battery, may have a weak cell or 2 doing this also. when the vehicle is running the alt will bring up the volts even if they are low.is your radio in tightly? if not you will get a spark on the radio itself meaning a bad ground, also check your speaker wires as they have to be grounded too. hope I could help.

I think a lot of older radio,s ground thru the antenna.Not sure about the newer ones.

Brian

Yep, they did.
Newer ones not so much, but the antenna is grounded anyway for it to work as designed.

Want to thank everyone for their suggestions on trying to get this radio working. Hooked up ground wire from radio to emergency brake bracket. Turn radio on and then headlights. Radio stayed on! Thought problem was fixed, but radio volume started to get lower and lower until there was no sound. Turned lights off, turned radio off and then on again, radio worked. Turned lights on and radio again lost all sound.
After further checking I think that the problem is with the radio itself. I think that the volume control is bad. When sound was lost and I turned the volume all the way up and then moved the shaft around the radio came on full blast. Need to double check to see if radio sound comes on if lights are on. May be pulling the radio out and hooking up one of my spare radios and see what happens. Will let everyone know what happens. Thanks!!

-
Back