Radio Speakers

-

Road Hog

Reaction score
I put a new stereo in my wife's 63 val. 'vert. I am using 6x9's in enclosures on the back floor that can be disconnected and stored in the trunk if she has passengers. Now I need something for the front and find very little room for speakers. Any suggestions? THNX,,,RH

This is what I did. I bought kick panel speakers enclosures for the newer A body's and had to cut them to fit, but they look ok to me. If you don't like black you could paint them as well to match your interior. I might do this still, but for know I am still working on my interior. The one problem I have is the passenger side vent will not open all the way, but for sound I'm willing to sacrifice the passenger coolness for some nice sound.
This is on a 65 Barracuda so it's probably close to your car.
IMG_3513.JPEG
IMG_3487.JPEG

I put a new stereo in my wife's 63 val. 'vert. I am using 6x9's in enclosures on the back floor that can be disconnected and stored in the trunk if she has passengers. Now I need something for the front and find very little room for speakers. Any suggestions? THNX,,,RH
I have the bracket that Jerry (@74 Sport) makes. It's very nice, lightweight aluminum and fits well.

you can put shallow 5's in the door under the crank down low. Looks OK when there is a painted grill on them but you may not want to cut those nice door cards. Back is a standard package tray install. On a Barracuda, they can mount right to the divider, forward firing but then it wont go down flat.

Here's a picture of the bracket Jerry (@74 Sport) makes and how it fits. I think the 3.5" coaxials are perfect, since highs and midranges need to come from the front anyway.
JERRY'S BRACKET.jpg

This is what I did. I bought kick panel speakers enclosures for the newer A body's and had to cut them to fit, but they look ok to me. If you don't like black you could paint them as well to match your interior. I might do this still, but for know I am still working on my interior. The one problem I have is the passenger side vent will not open all the way, but for sound I'm willing to sacrifice the passenger coolness for some nice sound.
View attachment 1715978907 View attachment 1715978908

I have a 64 Dart, & I was fortunate enough to find pre-made mounts to put in a pair of Rotten Fosburg P152 5 1/4's hi power speaks... They sound great. Presently waiting for Old Skool Zapco Z-150 amp coming out of Italy for the rear T1693 6X9 speakers.

View attachment 1715978907 View attachment 1715978908
I see that rear window defogger switch and I like!!! Nice car

Dual voice coil 6x9 fits great in the center.

View attachment 1715979465
That's another good option, because like the two smaller speakers, you can still have a right and left channel with the dual voice coils. I like your thinking on it because like what I did, you have nothing close to the floor in the kick panels to get dirt water and everything else into. ......and get...wait for it........kicked! They're up in the dash where they belong and closer to your ears!

I have a 64 Dart, & I was fortunate enough to find pre-made mounts to put in a pair of Rotten Fosburg P152 5 1/4's hi power speaks... They sound great. Presently waiting for Old Skool Zapco Z-150 amp coming out of Italy for the rear T1693 6X9 speakers.
Zapco. Now there's a name for legends! lol

I solved the problem like other suggestions, except in true halfafish fashion I did it by blundering around in the dark until this blind pig found an acorn. :eek:

I removed the old speaker, used it as a template, and cut out a piece of plywood to fit. Two holes for speakers (I think I was able to fit 4" in there?) and some plumbers tape to hold it in place. It works great and sounds great.

DSCN1696.JPG

DSCN1697.JPG

Thanks for all the neat suggestions, and here is sit with a brand new pair 6 3/4 co-axial speakers that will not fit anywhere:(

I solved the problem like other suggestions, except in true halfafish fashion I did it by blundering around in the dark until this blind pig found an acorn. :eek:

I removed the old speaker, used it as a template, and cut out a piece of plywood to fit. Two holes for speakers (I think I was able to fit 4" in there?) and some plumbers tape to hold it in place. It works great and sounds great.

View attachment 1715979588

View attachment 1715979589
Cheap bastid. It sure does look good, though. lol

View attachment 1715979588

View attachment 1715979589

Center channel really opens up the front seat for music. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
QUOTE="RustyRatRod, post: 1974046010, member: 14960"]With Zapco for a name, it's gotta be a winner. lol[/QUOTE]

Well actually there are Winners. Top of the line products. Reference standard amplifiers. American made, Been around since 1974. THD .015% Flat frequency response beyond 20k. Clean sound. So just in case u r making fun of them, they are NOT CRAPCO FAR from it..... :lol:lol

-
Back