Raffle off my Demon?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but this won't fly. I think someone suggested it for a member in trouble here a while back. Turns out you need a lottery license for this sort of thing. Profits would have to go to a registered charity. Can't market a car this way.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. First there are laws for raffles. Taxes and crap like that. Then what if you don't sell enough tickets? Guys gonna get their money back plus interest? How long are they gonna have to wait to get their money back? Way way too many problems with it man.

Just looked at the auction. Your bettter off selling the car and parts seperate. Probably make more money that way.

Your best bet would be to have numbered tickets that can split. One half goes to the buyer in the envelope and the other into a bin/hat etc.

Then using a video recorder, have a party at your place and pull the willing ticket while being taped. Then post the ticket number. The winner has a certain amount of time to claim there prize.

Riddler
I like this idea here, but again would like to pull the winner at a event

Sorry, but this won't fly. I think someone suggested it for a member in trouble here a while back. Turns out you need a lottery license for this sort of thing. Profits would have to go to a registered charity. Can't market a car this way.
If its only being offered on this site it will work

Just looked at the auction. Your bettter off selling the car and parts seperate. Probably make more money that way.
I would think there are enough members here who would buy a ticket or two..And yes they would get there money back but I dont think that would be a problem..I agree if I sold the car parts and car seperate I would make more, but thats not my idea. It's for a member here to win a nice car and have the parts to complete. And if someone can link the auction to this site it would help. I will end that auction once we get it cleared..

As a small business owner, I tried something like this for a "prize giveaway" at my shop. I even sent out a nice email to everyone, letting them know they could win a $500 gift certificate for $10.

My accountant called me within minutes and told me NYS was gonna shut me down for doing this without a license!

HIGHLY ILLEGAL!

However, I"LL BUY TICKETS IF THIS SOMEHOW FLIES, LOL

If its only being offered on this site it will work

Please, don't blindside yourself here. There's nothing about making it "site only" that would change anything. It's illegal. Make a quick check with your state gaming commission before you leap in.

Some information I found on Gambling in PA.

Here is the source: http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/da/lib/da/web-procedure_for_licensing-small_games_of_chance.pdf 

The Pennsylvania Crimes Code provides that all forms of gambling are illegal unless the Pennsylvania Legislature specifically authorizes the activity. The elements of gambling are: 1) the payment of a consideration or fee, 2) for the chance to win a prize, 3) the winner of which is determined by chance. If these three elements are present the activity is "gambling" and is illegal unless legislatively sanctioned.

The Local Option Small Games of Chance Act permits only those forms of gambling specifically sanctioned by 10 P.S. §§311-327 conducted by certain non-profit organizations known as "eligible organizations".

X2 was gonna do it with a truck I had, but turns out you can get jail time for that!:read2: and even if you just did it on FABO what happens if someone catches drift outside of here, or there are law enforement officer's on here and you don't know of it!

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. First there are laws for raffles. Taxes and crap like that. Then what if you don't sell enough tickets? Guys gonna get their money back plus interest? How long are they gonna have to wait to get their money back? Way way too many problems with it man.

x2. It feels like an explosive mess to me. All of the good intentions in the world can backfire and create a situation where a bunch of guys get pissed. Plus, the gubment wants their share, which I'm sure isn't small. Raffles are considered gambling, and if you start involving people in multiple states, it can get ugly.

x2. It feels like an explosive mess to me. All of the good intentions in the world can backfire and create a situation where a bunch of guys get pissed. Plus, the gubment wants their share, which I'm sure isn't small. Raffles are considered gambling, and if you start involving people in multiple states, it can get ugly.

I do not want to get in any kind of trouble with the law..I will look into seeing if I gave 10% to charity if we can do it then? I will call and see, and will let you know. I know at events they do 50/50 and raffle of items and that seems ok, and thought if it were only offer to members it wouldn't be such a huge deal..Still think it could be done..

We have 90/10 and 50/50 draws all the time at work,we have give a certain amount to charity as a condition of the license,I don't know if it's the same where you are,also profits are over and above the cost of the prize so have it appraised(by a friend)

Raffle it in a state that doesn't have these stupid gamein' laws... Whacking a cat converter is ILLEGAL also, but I'm sure most of us have done it... If you did it though pay-pal and it was sent as a GIFT to everwhos pay-pal account, how could any law track it???

Hauk, Isn't your new address in Mexico??? Sure it is *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*

No problemo, Senior. :-D

Wylde1.

Some information I found on Gambling in PA.

Here is the source: http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/da/lib/da/web-procedure_for_licensing-small_games_of_chance.pdf 

The Pennsylvania Crimes Code provides that all forms of gambling are illegal unless the Pennsylvania Legislature specifically authorizes the activity. The elements of gambling are: 1) the payment of a consideration or fee, 2) for the chance to win a prize, 3) the winner of which is determined by chance. If these three elements are present the activity is "gambling" and is illegal unless legislatively sanctioned.

The Local Option Small Games of Chance Act permits only those forms of gambling specifically sanctioned by 10 P.S. §§311-327 conducted by certain non-profit organizations known as "eligible organizations".

So it's legal only if the gub'mint gets their slice of the pie. Otherwise it's illegal. Typical.

Wylde1.

Here is what we can do:

Everyone will pay for an envelope containing a piece of paper with hauk's signature on it. All but one of those pieces of paper will be blank. The other paper will be a title....

Is there anything illegal about paying $30 for a signature from Hauk? I don't think so...

I voted for the $25 a ticket, I'd be in for 4 at that price. Can it be held in a state where there are no stuipid laws to deal with? Then the car is sold to the person in the state at your asking price, and the person sends the car to the winner. I didn't read over the whole thread, but that is my idea :bootysha:

Of course, I no nothing about the car, and if I DID win, how would I get it to Everett Washington? :-D

j

I figure it this way...even if you bought 4 tickets at $25 a pop thats $100 total...so if you win, you just got a sweet demon and a ton of parts for $100...I think paying the extra $650-$950 to get it shipped is still well worth. And look at it this way, with all those extra parts, you could sell what you don't need and probably come close to gettin' the Demon for no outta pocket expence for you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back