Raising the rear end

-

Silent Thunder

Reaction score
Years ago we would of used a shakle extender on the rear end of the leaf spring and added air shocks. That puts stress in the shock mounts and uses the shocks in a way they were not designed. If I want to raise the rear of my car about 2 inches what is the best way? Add leafs?

When I changed rears in my 66 Dart,I bought the XHD leafs.this raised the rear nice to clear 15 inch tires.I,ve now switched to a Dana60 with Caltracs and mono leafs.I put the XHD leafs in my 68 Barracuda with worn leafs.It holds a nice stance now.:D

I replaced the leafs on my 64 barracuda 2 yrs ago because they were really wooped, car was really sagging. I used Detroit Spring, I had them go 1" over OEM, & wow what a difference. It sits right up now.

i had 3" shackles on the back of my high school one and no air in the air shocks, held it up above my 10 inch tires. Couple of fatties in the back would cause it to rub so I put a few PSI in the shocks to keep it up. BAD over bumps though, shocks would hyper extend and try and pull the shock mounts out of the car...

The preferred method would be to get leaf springs designed to add lift. I have used ESPO Springs and Things and John R Spring Service and can report excellent results with their products and service.

-
Back