Raising the rear

-

ooo000ooo

Reaction score
g50s.jpg

I'm going for a late 70's street machine look, but don't want to result to shackles to fit my G50-14's. Even with the airshocks fully inflated, there still isn't enough height. The above pic is from the test fit last night, car is on the jack.

What springs would you recommend to get the rear up safely and soundly?
I thought about having the existing spring re-arched, but figuring they are the originals, it would be wise to replace them anyway (they sag a bit).

I came across these, but not sure if they will provide the lift: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAR...dZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ350393724698#ht_1549wt_941

Thanks-

Usually, using air shocks to lift a car is a band aid and are not recommended because they put alot of pressure on the upper shock mounts....The springs I think you would want is the mopar SS springs...

well a taller tire will sure help... 28" will fit no problem (running 235/70/15 indy 500's and a 255 will probably fit)

but either SS springs or have another type of spring re arched...

Attachments

• 0330111524.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 306
  • 101_4394.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 313
Damn guys. Let him keep the air shocks on it. Everybody's gotta learn somehow.

Yes Yes - the air shocks were a fix the previous owner installed to combat the sagging springs. Obviously not the long term solution. One of my other projects rolls on a complete airbag suspension... trust me I know the impact (no pun intended) that an aired up suspension imparts.

I really would like to find a spring solution. I've combed through a dozen or so threads here - and that's where i found the link to the springs i noted. The S/S springs come highly recommended, but I'm concerned they will also not provide enough lift to obtain tire/fender clearance.

Yes Yes - the air shocks were a fix the previous owner installed to combat the sagging springs. Obviously not the long term solution. One of my other projects rolls on a complete airbag suspension... trust me I know the impact (no pun intended) that an aired up suspension imparts.

I really would like to find a spring solution. I've combed through a dozen or so threads here - and that's where i found the link to the springs i noted. The S/S springs come highly recommended, but I'm concerned they will also not provide enough lift to obtain tire/fender clearance.

obviously you didn't read my post...

obviously you didn't read my post...

I did and appreciate your thoughts on the S/S - it sounds like the best option. As far as the tire size, I'm really trying to stick to a period look. I sourced these NOS g50's from a wheel/tire collector buddy. It's the widest period tire, with the shortest profile that will run on 7 inch wheels. I choose it for it's lower profile to aid in top-of-tire/lip of fender clearance. Looks like a g50 is the equivalent to a 245/50-14. I had a feeling the offset of the slotted mags would be a factor in clearance which is another reason for my choice.

And before anyone jumps down my throat about running NOS old tires, these stored in a climate controlled environment since new, have been recently inspected and will not serve as my daily street wear.

I do think the SS springs are what you need...I believe they will provide the lift you are seeking...I have a new set on my 68 cuda with 3 way adjustable shackles, and I can get the *** end up in the air! I'm switching my car to road race, and I no longer will need them. Yesterday I bout the Hotchkis sport springs which will be here today!! Can't wait to put them on. I'm looking for that lowered leveled look. :)

so you are trying to lift the rear enough..so your tires can actually run beyond the flat lip on your quarters?? with the rims sitting out further than they are now?

you can gain some height with welding blocks to the rear subframe, and then running your shackles through them instead of the original location...this will add some ht.
SS springs will also lift it over the saggy and/or oem position. i run SS springs and welded on my own blocks and it works great. but it appears you want another 1-2 inches over my racing setup even..

now for the opinion portion, and please take with a grain of salt: if you actually offset the wheels like i think you are trying, its going to look pretty stupid (IMO), on top of the fact that you will crush your quarters if the shocks ever collapse/blowout/ or you hit a large bump..

g50s.jpg

I'm going for a late 70's street machine look, but don't want to result to shackles to fit my G50-14's. Even with the airshocks fully inflated, there still isn't enough height. The above pic is from the test fit last night, car is on the jack.

What springs would you recommend to get the rear up safely and soundly?
I thought about having the existing spring re-arched, but figuring they are the originals, it would be wise to replace them anyway (they sag a bit).

I came across these, but not sure if they will provide the lift: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAR...dZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ350393724698#ht_1549wt_941

Thanks-

how high are you actually trying to get it?

how high are you actually trying to get it?

my goal is accurately (but safely) recreate the look below. Currently the 7" slots with the g50 tires don't "stickout" past the fender lip (like below), but they do come into contact with it.

dereksdart.jpg

my goal is accurately (but safely) recreate the look below. Currently the 7" slots with the g50 tires don't "stickout" past the fender lip (like below), but they do come into contact with it.

dereksdart.jpg

that thing probably had rock hard air shocks om it.. can't see them not hitting big time. not sure a 3" spring would make it high enough..

Friend 'o mine usta have one 'o those. We called it skippy. I didn't like riding in the thing.

If you want something that will actually go down the road, rethink this. Some states now have some pretty restrictive laws concerning this kind of thing.

dereksdart.jpg

Man, that is a really cool look you're after. I love it. But you need to understand most states now have laws regarding tires that protrude past fenders. And rightly so. I would hate to be driving my nice $100,000 Mercedes behind you when you pick up a rock and smash my windshield. (Not that I have any Mercedes) but you get the idea. You can come close to that look and keep the tires under the fenders where they need to be.

Man, that is a really cool look you're after. I love it. But you need to understand most states now have laws regarding tires that protrude past fenders. And rightly so. I would hate to be driving my nice $100,000 Mercedes behind you when you pick up a rock and smash my windshield. (Not that I have any Mercedes) but you get the idea. You can come close to that look and keep the tires under the fenders where they need to be.

or put flares and mud flaps lol

I have another solution if you have access to a welder. Weld perches on the top side of the axle housing and move the axle from above to beneath the springs. That should give you about 2.5-3". I couldn't tell you what kind of impact that this would have on the driveline angles or how the suspension would behave, but I would think that it'd do the job.

-
Back